Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Removing old module config / Catalyst 6509

Removing old module config / Catalyst 6509

thefunnel@aol.com

Hi,

We have recently added and the removed a 16 port GBIC blade into a
Catalyst 6509.

Even though the card is no longer present in the system the interfaces
are still visible in the config. I presume this is in case the card is
ever returned to the system.

My question is how can I remove this unnecessary config? The card is no
longer displayed under "show module" but is still there under "show
run"...

!
interface GigabitEthernet3/1
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/2
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface GigabitEthernet3/3
no ip address
shutdown

Frank Winkler

> My question is how can I remove this unnecessary config? The card is no
> longer displayed under "show module" but is still there under "show
> run"...
>
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet3/1
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet3/2
> no ip address
> shutdown
> !
> interface GigabitEthernet3/3
> no ip address
> shutdown

(config)# no interface range Gi3/1 Gi3/16 ?

Regards

fw

brink

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have recently added and the removed a 16 port GBIC blade into a
> Catalyst 6509.

AFAIK the only way to get rid of that config now (in native IOS) is
inserting another module in that slot or a reload. For now I suggest
you just do a "default interface gi <slot nr>/1 - 16"
and a shutdown on same to avoid surprises if someone ever inserts a
similar module in the same slot.

There is a (almost undocumented) global command "module clear-config"
which should be issued BEFORE removing the module. Using this command
should cause most (but not all) traces of a module to disappear when
you remove a module. I've never really used this command, a bit
dangerous if you just want to replace a module and forgot this command
was in the configuration.

In CatOS there is a "clear config <module #>" command if you're running
CatOS only. If you're running hybrid that doesn't remove them from the
IOS config.

luck,

Frans