Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > 1841 or 2821?

1841 or 2821?

Joel

We have 2 offices and a collocation facility office A, office B, and
the colo. Office A has about 300 users and office B has about 400
users. The colo houses our intranet sites and we route our internet
traffic from the offices through the colo. The colo currently has a
Cisco 2620 with a network module for 4 T1s.

Office A (Cisco 1720) has 2 dedicated point to point T1s (multi-linked)
to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting
the office A and office B.

Office B (Cisco 1841) has 2 point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the
colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the
office A and office B.

At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it
with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the
router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2
ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like
the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with
one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.

I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing
limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big
enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Joel

Brian V

"Joel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> We have 2 offices and a collocation facility office A, office B, and
> the colo. Office A has about 300 users and office B has about 400
> users. The colo houses our intranet sites and we route our internet
> traffic from the offices through the colo. The colo currently has a
> Cisco 2620 with a network module for 4 T1s.
>
> Office A (Cisco 1720) has 2 dedicated point to point T1s (multi-linked)
> to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting
> the office A and office B.
>
> Office B (Cisco 1841) has 2 point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the
> colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the
> office A and office B.
>
> At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it
> with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the
> router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2
> ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like
> the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with
> one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.
>
> I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing
> limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big
> enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?
>
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Joel

Maximum throughput on an 1841 is 38.40Mbps, thats with no acls, basically
nothing running on it shy of IP routing. Should answer your question right
there.

Joel

Brian- Do mind telling me where you found this information?
Everything I've read is different.

Brian V wrote:
> [...]

>> > At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it
>> > with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the
>> > router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2
>> > ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like
>> > the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with
>> > one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.
>> >
>> > I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing
>> > limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big
>> > enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?
>> >
>> > Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Joel
>> >

>> Maximum throughput on an 1841 is 38.40Mbps, thats with no acls, basically
>> nothing running on it shy of IP routing. Should answer your question

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/765...erformance.pdf

stephen

"Joel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> We have 2 offices and a collocation facility office A, office B, and
> the colo. Office A has about 300 users and office B has about 400
> users. The colo houses our intranet sites and we route our internet
> traffic from the offices through the colo. The colo currently has a
> Cisco 2620 with a network module for 4 T1s.
>
> Office A (Cisco 1720) has 2 dedicated point to point T1s (multi-linked)
> to the colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting
> the office A and office B.
>
> Office B (Cisco 1841) has 2 point to point T1s (multi-linked) to the
> colo for access to the intranet, internet access, and connecting the
> office A and office B.
>
> At office B we are removing the 2 data T1s to the colo and replacing it
> with one (1) 50 Mbs ethernet connection. So we need to replace the
> router in colo with a router that has 2 T1 ports (for office A) and 2
> ethernet ports (1 for offce B and 1 for routing in the colo). I like
> the 1841 because it already has the 2 ethernet ports and I think with
> one (1) VWIC (CIS-VWIC-2MFT-T1) we can do what we want.

why not keep the existing routers for the remaining T1s? it aint broke, so
dont fix it.

then if a central router breaks you dont lose both office links....

> I need to be sure that the 1841 router will not have any processing
> limitations for what we want to do. Basically is the 1841 router big
> enough to handle this type application? or should I look at the 2821?

Given the bandwidth i would go for a bigger router - maybe a 3825 or 3845?

Brian gave you the Cisco link for performance numbers - but it is worth
pointing out these are absolute max numbers.
Also your 50 Mbps Ethernet is actually 100 Mbps of thruput, since it is a
full duplex service.

if you get a 100 Mbps Ethernet, but need to shape to 50 Mbps then this
actually increases the processing load, so go for a fairly big unit.

--
Regards

Joel

Stephen and Brian, thank you very much for your help.

Joel

1841 VPN server without the AIM VPN module dt1649651@yahoo.com Cisco 0 05-02-2005 02:06 AM
1841 - rack-mount? Ewald Jenisch Cisco 1 04-11-2005 02:05 PM
vpn tunnel probs with 1841 to pix506 Vincent Cisco 0 04-05-2005 07:56 PM
1841 Packet loss Scott Cisco 5 03-30-2005 04:44 PM
1841 and VPN Daniel Cisco 2 02-24-2005 02:25 PM

Advertisments