Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > MCAD/MCSD Self Paced Training Kit

MCAD/MCSD Self Paced Training Kit

Mac

Hello,

I am sorry If this has been discussed in past. I am going to buy "MCAD/MCSD
Self paced Training Kit: Microsoft Core Requrments Exams: 70-305 ...." from
Amazon ($119 after discount) which contains CD and DVDs.

The $130 (Cost + Postal Fees) is something about a half of my monthly salary
so I should decide carefully I will appereciate if people can help.

I will go for my first MCSD exam in next 2-3 months (C# major).

1- Is there a better alternative to these books (so that I do not need other
material)?

2- These are MSPress books or what? There are other books with same content
from MSPress?

3- How about practice tests? Are there any test materials included with this
packege?

4- Finally would somone please point me to some sample test materials for
70-315 and 70-316 on web (windows applications prefered) so that I can
have a sense of those exams?

Regards,
Mac

Mac

Keith

Thank you very much for the help. It's really appereciated.

Regards,
Mac

Mac

Keith

Thank you very much for the help. It's really appereciated.

Regards,
Mac

keith d. zimmerman

Mac wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am sorry If this has been discussed in past. I am going to buy "MCAD/MCSD
> Self paced Training Kit: Microsoft Core Requrments Exams: 70-305 ...." from
> Amazon ($119 after discount) which contains CD and DVDs.
>
> The $130 (Cost + Postal Fees) is something about a half of my monthly salary
> so I should decide carefully I will appereciate if people can help.
>
> I will go for my first MCSD exam in next 2-3 months (C# major).
>
> 1- Is there a better alternative to these books (so that I do not need other
> material)?

you might consider this instead...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...44939?v=glance

> 2- These are MSPress books or what? There are other books with same content
> from MSPress?

yup

> 3- How about practice tests? Are there any test materials included with this
> packege?

review questions. not really practice tests.

> 4- Finally would somone please point me to some sample test materials for
> 70-315 and 70-316 on web (windows applications prefered) so that I can
> have a sense of those exams?

http://www.transcender.com/
don't know of any free ones.

good luck on the test(s)

-kz

Azeem

Goto www.bookpool.comn, you will get a more good deal for
MS Books.

Thanks,
Azeem

Peng Te

Hi Mac,

I'm studying for the MCSD.NET also and am using the Self-paced Training Kit
as a guide, and have found that it is basically repackaged, condensed, and
dry information that is also freely available on the MSDN and in a more
complete form. Here's the link:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tdevanchor.asp

Peng

"Mac" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23u$$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I am sorry If this has been discussed in past. I am going to buy

"MCAD/MCSD
> Self paced Training Kit: Microsoft Core Requrments Exams: 70-305 ...."

from
> Amazon ($119 after discount) which contains CD and DVDs.
>
> The $130 (Cost + Postal Fees) is something about a half of my monthly

salary
> so I should decide carefully I will appereciate if people can help.
>
> I will go for my first MCSD exam in next 2-3 months (C# major).
>
> 1- Is there a better alternative to these books (so that I do not need

other
> material)?
>
> 2- These are MSPress books or what? There are other books with same

content
> from MSPress?
>
> 3- How about practice tests? Are there any test materials included with

this
> packege?
>
> 4- Finally would somone please point me to some sample test materials for
> 70-315 and 70-316 on web (windows applications prefered) so that I can
> have a sense of those exams?
>
> Regards,
> Mac

Kline Sphere

>I will go for my first MCSD exam in next 2-3 months (C# major).

Should that be C # Minor!!

>1- Is there a better alternative to these books (so that I do not need other
>material)?

MSDN, plus a zillion and one other sites on the web.

>2- These are MSPress books or what? There are other books with same content
>from MSPress?

The ms press training books not worth the money. Other ms press are
excellent, just avoid anything with mcsd/mcse/mdac etc in the title.

>3- How about practice tests? Are there any test materials included with this
>packege?

I fail to see why anyone needs 'practice' tests. The format of the ms
exams so simple, even a first grader could work out what to do.

Jaime

"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I fail to see why anyone needs 'practice' tests. The format of the ms
> exams so simple, even a first grader could work out what to do.

How long have you been on this newsgroup?
lol

Kline Sphere

>How long have you been on this newsgroup?
>lol

I see, yep my mistake....

Larry

I bought this box. So far I've passed two of the tests,
70-300 and 70-306. For 70-306, I felt that the book was
quite effective as a SUMMARY of the exam content. So, if
a given chapter covers stuff you are very familiar with,
you might be ready for the test - as far as that
particular topic is concerned. If the chapter is dealing
with things that you know little about, it's time to hit
the MSDN and dig out the details, do the exercises, and
write some little apps to get yourself to where you can
effectively work with the classes, etc. related to that
subject area.

The book is a study guide...not a crib sheet with all the
answers. As such, the 70-306 book was very useful to
me. I was able to pass the test with this, MSDN, and a
lot of practice - no other books, practice tests, etc.
But the 70-300 book is garbage. I found that its content
was VERY misleading - not in terms of what's in the exam -
but in terms of where the emphasis is. 70-300 covers
huge subject areas and the book was neaerly useless in
terms of giving you any focus on what you really need to
know to pass that test.

There's a CD with practice tests for each of the exams.
But they're pretty much a waste of time - lots of typos -
questons that can't be answered with the information
given - some stuff is just plain goofy - hardly worth
looking at.

So, I don't know - I've got two more tests - maybe the
next books will be more like 306 and less like 300, we'll
see.

The good news is that you get four vouchers for 15%
discounts on tests with VUE in the box. If you use all
four, that saves you $75. Let's see...120 bucks - minus
75 - I make it $11.25 per book. Yeah, they might be
worth that much - MAYBE