Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > HWIC-4ESW

HWIC-4ESW

Drx

if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

Doug McIntyre

Drx <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
>or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
They aren't L3 ports.

Drx

On 05 Jan 2007 20:30:07 GMT, Doug McIntyre wrote:

> Drx <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
>>or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

> They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
> They aren't L3 ports.

so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series
router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
interfaces

MC

Drx wrote:
> On 05 Jan 2007 20:30:07 GMT, Doug McIntyre wrote:
>
>> Drx <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>>> if I put this card into 2811 router, can I use these new ports as L3 ports
>>> or they are just L2 ports (switched)?

>> They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
>> They aren't L3 ports.

> so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series
> router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
> interfaces

VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
full duplex ?

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

MC wrote:
> Drx wrote:

> >> They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router.
> >> They aren't L3 ports.

> > so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800 series
> > router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
> > interfaces

> VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
> represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
> router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
> point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
> from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
> network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
> full duplex ?

I agree that this is not clearly documented.
We bought some 16 port "L2" cards (NM-16ESW) and I can
absolutely confirm that they can be configured as either L3
interfaces OR configured as L2 in a VLAN and have SVIs
(e.g int vlan 22) configured for routing. Take you pick.

We used both.

I expect that the one that you are proposing is similar.
I asked our supplier to confirm. We are a low level
Cisco partner so that was our Distributor.

Within the same VLAN you get hardware L2 switching,
and within VLANs you get a software router is my
understanding (by guesswork).

The configuration is just like a 6500 or 4500 or 3750
or 3560.
No weird twiddly bits, just create VLANs, SVIs,
or use pure L3 interfaces.

I have the idea that the 32 port card (36?) may have
L3 hardware.

Thrill5

"MC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Drx wrote:

>>> They are L2 ports, that can be trunked back into the router. They aren't
>>> L3 ports.

>> so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800
>> series
>> router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
>> interfaces

> VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
> represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
> router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
> point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
> from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
> network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
> full duplex ?

Cisco has just announced the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE cards. They are 1-port
and 2-port FastEthernet interfaces respectively, that are full L3
interfaces. A 2811 will support up to two HWIC-1FE cards (the HWIC-2FE is
not supported on the 2800 series). The cards are expected to be available
at the end of January.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d80581fe6.html

Scott

Drx

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 03:38:08 -0500, Thrill5 wrote:

> "MC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Drx wrote:

>>> so is there any other way I can increase number of L3 ports in 2800
>>> series
>>> router? I need 5 L3 phisicaly separated ports and not trunked virtual
>>> interfaces

>> VLAN tagging on the router, whereas one or more ports on the switch are
>> represented on the router. can have every port in a separate VLAN on the
>> router. However be aware are doing L# in software on the router at that
>> point no hardware like a true L# switch and there is a bandwidth limit
>> from the L@ switch HWIC card to the router, although is higher than the
>> network modules can not remember how much, I am thinking 800mps combined
>> full duplex ?
>>

> Cisco has just announced the HWIC-1FE and HWIC-2FE cards. They are 1-port
> and 2-port FastEthernet interfaces respectively, that are full L3
> interfaces. A 2811 will support up to two HWIC-1FE cards (the HWIC-2FE is
> not supported on the 2800 series). The cards are expected to be available
> at the end of January.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...d80581fe6.html
>

> Scott

thanks guys, you helped

novated novated is offline
Junior Member

Hello,

I have a problem with both card in the same chassis 2811. I
Alone I get that the card works HWIC-4ESW. There is some way so that both work simultaneously without having to configure a stacking.

Thank you