Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > DSL firmware.

Reply
Thread Tools

DSL firmware.

 
 
AM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
Hi folks,

is there a way to know which release of ADSL firmware has the 877 router got?
The command "sh dsl int atm0" shows only the information if the line is activated or the last connection details.
AFAIK the firmware release doesn't share anything with the ADSL line, don't you agree?
I prepare the router from scratch and then I send them to the sites so I would appreciate to gather such information
without being forced to connect the router to an ADSL line, for I don't an ADSL line at all in the office where I'm working.

TIA

Alex
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bjarke Andersen
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
AM <(E-Mail Removed)> crashed Echelon writing
news:2n3nh.99005$(E-Mail Removed):

> is there a way to know which release of ADSL firmware has the 877
> router got?


show version

--
Bjarke Andersen
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Bod43@hotmail.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007

Bjarke Andersen wrote:
> AM <(E-Mail Removed)> crashed Echelon writing
> news:2n3nh.99005$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > is there a way to know which release of ADSL firmware has the 877
> > router got?

>
> show version


The straightforward answer is that the firmware is loaded on boot
from the IOS and you can infer the DSL firmware version from the IOS
version.

Any IOS version will /always/ load the same firmware version.

However:-
The 877 (and some ADSL WIC(s) I think too) supports the
use of a seperate firmware file. This is stored in the flash
and is also loaded every time at boot.

This file ALWAYS has the same name (this is how IOS finds it)
and so you would want to keep some record of which file was which
if you were to use this feature.

 
Reply With Quote
 
AM
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-04-2007
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> However:-
> The 877 (and some ADSL WIC(s) I think too) supports the
> use of a seperate firmware file. This is stored in the flash
> and is also loaded every time at boot.
>
> This file ALWAYS has the same name (this is how IOS finds it)
> and so you would want to keep some record of which file was which
> if you were to use this feature.
>


or to use the strings command on a linux box and see if anything meaningful can be found within the file....
 
Reply With Quote
 
Laurent
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007
Hello,

This is curious because the 'sh dsl interface atm0' show the version on
my 857 router, may be have a better look at your output?



Alcatel 20190 chipset information
ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)
Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
DSL Mode: ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A
ITU STD NUM: 0x03 0x1
Vendor ID: 'STMI' 'ALCB'
Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000
Vendor Country: 0x0F 0x0F
Capacity Used: 97% 100%
Noise Margin: 6.0 dB 8.0 dB
Output Power: 20.0 dBm 12.0 dBm
Attenuation: 42.0 dB 25.0 dB
Defect Status: None None
Last Fail Code: None
Watchdog Counter: 0xC7
Watchdog Resets: 0
Selftest Result: 0x00
Subfunction: 0x00
Interrupts: 8440 (0 spurious)
PHY Access Err: 0
Activations: 29
LED Status: ON
LED On Time: 100
LED Off Time: 100
Init FW: init_3.0.010_nobist.bin
Operation FW: AMR-3.0.010.bin
FW Version: 3.0.10

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bod43@hotmail.co.uk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-08-2007

Laurent wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is curious because the 'sh dsl interface atm0' show the version on
> my 857 router, may be have a better look at your output?
>
>
>
> Alcatel 20190 chipset information
> ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)
> Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
> DSL Mode: ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A
> ITU STD NUM: 0x03 0x1
> Vendor ID: 'STMI' 'ALCB'
> Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000
> Vendor Country: 0x0F 0x0F
> Capacity Used: 97% 100%
> Noise Margin: 6.0 dB 8.0 dB
> Output Power: 20.0 dBm 12.0 dBm
> Attenuation: 42.0 dB 25.0 dB
> Defect Status: None None
> Last Fail Code: None
> Watchdog Counter: 0xC7
> Watchdog Resets: 0
> Selftest Result: 0x00
> Subfunction: 0x00
> Interrupts: 8440 (0 spurious)
> PHY Access Err: 0
> Activations: 29
> LED Status: ON
> LED On Time: 100
> LED Off Time: 100
> Init FW: init_3.0.010_nobist.bin
> Operation FW: AMR-3.0.010.bin
> FW Version: 3.0.10


This is only displayed when the line is UP.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Laurent
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-09-2007
(E-Mail Removed) wrote in news:1168257455.891178.10180
@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com:

>
> Laurent wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is curious because the 'sh dsl interface atm0' show the version on
>> my 857 router, may be have a better look at your output?
>>
>>
>>
>> Alcatel 20190 chipset information
>> ATU-R (DS) ATU-C (US)
>> Modem Status: Showtime (DMTDSL_SHOWTIME)
>> DSL Mode: ITU G.992.1 (G.DMT) Annex A
>> ITU STD NUM: 0x03 0x1
>> Vendor ID: 'STMI' 'ALCB'
>> Vendor Specific: 0x0000 0x0000
>> Vendor Country: 0x0F 0x0F
>> Capacity Used: 97% 100%
>> Noise Margin: 6.0 dB 8.0 dB
>> Output Power: 20.0 dBm 12.0 dBm
>> Attenuation: 42.0 dB 25.0 dB
>> Defect Status: None None
>> Last Fail Code: None
>> Watchdog Counter: 0xC7
>> Watchdog Resets: 0
>> Selftest Result: 0x00
>> Subfunction: 0x00
>> Interrupts: 8440 (0 spurious)
>> PHY Access Err: 0
>> Activations: 29
>> LED Status: ON
>> LED On Time: 100
>> LED Off Time: 100
>> Init FW: init_3.0.010_nobist.bin
>> Operation FW: AMR-3.0.010.bin
>> FW Version: 3.0.10

>
> This is only displayed when the line is UP.


Hello,

I did not notice this point because my line is always UP.

As suggested by others, an (old) release of the firmware is embedded in the
IOS, if a file named 'adsl_alc_20190.bin' is found on the flash it is used
as the ADSL firmware.

The'show flash' command gives information about the file.

cisco857w_000>sh flash
20480K bytes of processor board System flash (Intel Strataflash)

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 10759392 Mar 6 2002 06:21:49 +00:00 c850-advsecurityk9-
mz.124-9.T1.bin
3 -rwx 997384 Mar 13 2002 00:38:29 +00:00 adsl_alc_20190.bin


Here are the sizes for each known ADSL firmware:

22/03/2006 00:00 925*876 adsl_alc_20190_2_5_42.bin
12/04/2006 00:00 926*232 adsl_alc_20190_2_5_48.bin
12/04/2006 00:00 953*804 adsl_alc_20190_2_5_53.bin
07/06/2006 10:59 977*896 adsl_alc_20190_2_6_4.bin
21/09/2006 10:12 997*384 adsl_alc_20190_3.0.10.bin


For your information ADSL firmware is available without CSO login at
ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

Hope this helps.

Regards.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is D-Link DSL-604T same as D-Link DSL-604+ ? norm Wireless Networking 6 11-18-2005 10:25 AM
an Intel PRO/DSL 2100 or Intel PRO/DSL 2200 Modem roberthob Computer Support 0 09-25-2005 05:51 PM
DSL > Asterisk > W/ existing DSL # ? David Wiltkins VOIP 10 05-13-2004 11:41 PM
Anyone good at debugging DSL problems? (DSL: Defect: LOS LOF LCDf: retraining) Richard Antony Burton Cisco 3 12-18-2003 04:30 PM
Re: Cisco836 and German Telekom DSL (T-DSL) Daniel Meyer Cisco 1 07-25-2003 04:01 PM



Advertisments