Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > R 2610

R 2610

vitibor

Hi, does anyone know if R2610 supports VLAN trunking and PAT? Does It
have something to do with fast-ethernet interface? I read in some
documentations that R2610 has "fast-ethernet" interface but in the
others that it has only "ethernet" ?! In some I read 10/100 TX? What is
the truth?

Drake

"vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, does anyone know if R2610 supports VLAN trunking and PAT? Does It
> have something to do with fast-ethernet interface? I read in some
> documentations that R2610 has "fast-ethernet" interface but in the
> others that it has only "ethernet" ?! In some I read 10/100 TX? What is
> the truth?

2610 ---> 1 Ethernet interface 10 Mb built-in
2610XM --> 1 FastEthernet interface 10/100 Mb built-in

VLAN trunking --> There is support in the c2600 ios images for ISL and .1q
So you should be able to do it on a 2610.
I've seen claims it can be done even on the
2500 series
but I doubt that because there is no support
for trunking
in the c2500 ios images.

NAT-PAT --> Supported

vitibor

Thank you Drake. But I'm still in doubt. I heard that only on routers
which have a fastethernet interface can be done division into
subinterfaces. If c2600 ios support VLAN trunking and 2610 do not have
fastethernet interface, doesn't it mean that VLAN trunking will not
function on R2610?
Drake wrote:
> "vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi, does anyone know if R2610 supports VLAN trunking and PAT? Does It
> > have something to do with fast-ethernet interface? I read in some
> > documentations that R2610 has "fast-ethernet" interface but in the
> > others that it has only "ethernet" ?! In some I read 10/100 TX? What is
> > the truth?
> >

> 2610 ---> 1 Ethernet interface 10 Mb built-in
> 2610XM --> 1 FastEthernet interface 10/100 Mb built-in
>
> VLAN trunking --> There is support in the c2600 ios images for ISL and .1q
> So you should be able to do it on a 2610.
> I've seen claims it can be done even on the
> 2500 series
> but I doubt that because there is no support
> for trunking
> in the c2500 ios images.
>
> NAT-PAT --> Supported

Drake

"vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thank you Drake. But I'm still in doubt. I heard that only on routers
> which have a fastethernet interface can be done division into
> subinterfaces. If c2600 ios support VLAN trunking and 2610 do not have
> fastethernet interface, doesn't it mean that VLAN trunking will not
> function on R2610?

Cisco documentation refers only to VLAN trunking over 100 mb links
or above but Cisco is referring to production networks. If you google
for "Cisco VLAN trunking 2610", you will find reports of people doing
it in a training lab environment.

Also check the 2620 router, it has an 10/100 ethernet interface.

newsreader

"vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Thank you Drake. But I'm still in doubt. I heard that only on routers
> which have a fastethernet interface can be done division into
> subinterfaces. If c2600 ios support VLAN trunking and 2610 do not have
> fastethernet interface, doesn't it mean that VLAN trunking will not
> function on R2610?
> Drake wrote:
>> "vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> > Hi, does anyone know if R2610 supports VLAN trunking and PAT? Does It
>> > have something to do with fast-ethernet interface? I read in some
>> > documentations that R2610 has "fast-ethernet" interface but in the
>> > others that it has only "ethernet" ?! In some I read 10/100 TX? What is
>> > the truth?
>> >

>> 2610 ---> 1 Ethernet interface 10 Mb built-in
>> 2610XM --> 1 FastEthernet interface 10/100 Mb built-in
>>
>> VLAN trunking --> There is support in the c2600 ios images for ISL and
>> .1q
>> So you should be able to do it on a 2610.
>> I've seen claims it can be done even on
>> the
>> 2500 series
>> but I doubt that because there is no
>> support
>> for trunking
>> in the c2500 ios images.
>>
>> NAT-PAT --> Supported
>>

>> --

I have a 2610 in my work lab. If you can wait another couple of hours I'll
test and post an update soon.

BernieM

Doug McIntyre

"vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>Thank you Drake. But I'm still in doubt. I heard that only on routers
>which have a fastethernet interface can be done division into
>subinterfaces. If c2600 ios support VLAN trunking and 2610 do not have
>fastethernet interface, doesn't it mean that VLAN trunking will not
>function on R2610?

Its a common misconception. People keep repeating the maxim, but there
are a few IOS loads that do VLAN trunking on the 2610 with its 10-base-T
port. Its only a few, not any of the general shipped ones.

You don't need FastEthernet to do VLAN trunking, but most people
didn't bother backporting it for anything that was ethernet only.

Drake

"vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi, does anyone know if R2610 supports VLAN trunking and PAT? Does It
> have something to do with fast-ethernet interface? I read in some
> documentations that R2610 has "fast-ethernet" interface but in the
> others that it has only "ethernet" ?! In some I read 10/100 TX? What is
> the truth?

OK. Here is prove positive that 802.1q trunking can be done on a cisco 261x
router:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800921e4.html

Bod43@hotmail.co.uk

Drake wrote:

> "vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Hi, does anyone know if R2610 supports VLAN trunking and PAT? Does It
> > have something to do with fast-ethernet interface? I read in some
> > documentations that R2610 has "fast-ethernet" interface but in the
> > others that it has only "ethernet" ?! In some I read 10/100 TX? What is
> > the truth?
> >

> OK. Here is prove positive that 802.1q trunking can be done on a cisco 261x
> router:
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...0800921e4.html

Very nice.

IIRC you need the "Plus" feture set or better for Trunking.

vitibor

ok. It'll be a good thing to test it. thank you

newsreader wrote:
> "vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > Thank you Drake. But I'm still in doubt. I heard that only on routers
> > which have a fastethernet interface can be done division into
> > subinterfaces. If c2600 ios support VLAN trunking and 2610 do not have
> > fastethernet interface, doesn't it mean that VLAN trunking will not
> > function on R2610?
> > Drake wrote:
> >> "vitibor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> >> >
> >> 2610 ---> 1 Ethernet interface 10 Mb built-in
> >> 2610XM --> 1 FastEthernet interface 10/100 Mb built-in
> >>
> >> VLAN trunking --> There is support in the c2600 ios images for ISL and
> >> .1q
> >> So you should be able to do it on a 2610.
> >> I've seen claims it can be done even on
> >> the
> >> 2500 series
> >> but I doubt that because there is no
> >> support
> >> for trunking
> >> in the c2500 ios images.
> >>
> >> NAT-PAT --> Supported
> >>

> >> --

> I have a 2610 in my work lab. If you can wait another couple of hours I'll
> test and post an update soon.
>
> BernieM

vitibor

Very good. Thank you Drake.