Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco PIX 501 Firewall.

Cisco PIX 501 Firewall.

benchmark

Hi All,
I have recently purchased the above-mentioned Cisco PIX
Firewall on Ebay, upgraded the Cisco PIX 501 Firewall OS to version
6.3(4) and the PIX Device Manager(PDM) to version 3.02. The firewall is
working very nicely without a hitch. My question is after upgrading the
Cisco PIX OS to a newer version and the PDM to a newer version, do I
need to upgrade the activation keys on the device?
All the previous license features of the device before the upgrade were
maintained after the upgrade.

Thanks in advance,
Benmark.

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
benchmark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have recently purchased the above-mentioned Cisco PIX
>Firewall on Ebay, upgraded the Cisco PIX 501 Firewall OS to version
>6.3(4) and the PIX Device Manager(PDM) to version 3.02. The firewall is
>working very nicely without a hitch. My question is after upgrading the
>Cisco PIX OS to a newer version and the PDM to a newer version, do I
>need to upgrade the activation keys on the device?

No -- but you do need to "relicense" the device by purchasing
Cisco part LL-PIX-501-SW-10=. Price is about $US190 to find one
in stock; as low as $US150 if you peck around a little and are willing
to back-order.

The PIX software license is seldom transferable, so while you bought
the chassis, you very likely did not get the legal right to use the
device, and especially not to upgrade the software.

benchmark

Walter Roberson wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
> benchmark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > I have recently purchased the above-mentioned Cisco PIX
> >Firewall on Ebay, upgraded the Cisco PIX 501 Firewall OS to version
> >6.3(4) and the PIX Device Manager(PDM) to version 3.02. The firewall is
> >working very nicely without a hitch. My question is after upgrading the
> >Cisco PIX OS to a newer version and the PDM to a newer version, do I
> >need to upgrade the activation keys on the device?

> No -- but you do need to "relicense" the device by purchasing
> Cisco part LL-PIX-501-SW-10=. Price is about $US190 to find one
> in stock; as low as $US150 if you peck around a little and are willing
> to back-order.
>
> The PIX software license is seldom transferable, so while you bought
> the chassis, you very likely did not get the legal right to use the
> device, and especially not to upgrade the software.

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Benmark,

Adding to Walter's information:

All end customers who relicense software from Cisco for their used /
grey market units ( i.e. eBay ) will be required to register the serial
numbers for those units online.

Customers will not receive Digital License Agreement ( DLA ) numbers
from Cisco until they register their units online with a valid serial
number.

Cisco is taking an active role in curtailing the unauthorized use of
grey market / used equipment without correct relicense agreements in
place and rewarding customers for purchasing legitimate software
relicenses for their units.

The following table lists all the Cisco embedded software relicense
part numbers available for sale and their software relicense
descriptions:

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-embed...e-licenses.htm

Hope this helps.

Brad Reese
http://www.BradReese.Com

MAC OS X using Cisco VPN Client through CISCO PIX 501 InetSecurity Cisco 0 06-23-2006 01:57 AM
Cisco pix 501 vs 501-50 cdoc Cisco 6 05-20-2006 03:53 AM
PIX 501 <-> PIX 501 - Problem contating private networks on the inside Andre Cisco 7 02-20-2005 07:02 PM
Cisco PIX 501 using pptp to connect to cisco vpn 3005 concentrator Kai Cisco 1 05-14-2004 02:44 PM
Cisco VPN through a PIX 501 to another PIX? Andrew J Instone-Cowie Cisco 5 01-22-2004 05:44 PM

Advertisments