Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > VTP Servers

VTP Servers

darrell

Having multiple VTP severs on the same domain in the same network.
Currently working on a network where every switch that was installed ~
100 with VTP domain name "Network" and all running in VTP mode server.
I know Cisco says this is not good, but wont kill a network. This
network has been running this way for years. Has anyone else seen this
setup and what were the issues this setup caused?

headsetadapter.com

OK. Let's assume all your VTP servers have the same VTP Domain Revision
version. Now somebody changes one "insignificant VLAN" (for example, purge
VLAN he's not using at his switch). This will be propagated through ALL your
switches, and you will not know where the change come from. Another
scenario - your server crashed and lost it's VLANs database. switch booted
up and has NEWER revision number, so, ALL your switches will synchronize to
that failed switch. Or even better scenario - you configured new switch
offline, defined VTP domain and no VLANs. Then you connect the switch to the
network, and since VTP information is newer than on all other switches, ALL
your VLANs will be deleted in your whole company. Sure "it won't kill the
network"...

Good luck,

Mike
------