Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Value of MCSD

Value of MCSD

Jake

Considering the large number of sites on the web that now distribute exam
questions, does the MCP/MCSD certification have any value any more? I know
it definitely used to when it first came out but what about now?

I'm using the Transcender pack to prepare for my exam. Doing the exam
questions is great practice and helps me to learn about my subject in
greater detail - something I can't do by simply reading. Doing questions
tests my knowledge on lots of different areas and that is a good way of
learning about my subject.

The problem is that it is possible for people to learn the questions and
answers by heart without really knowing the subject material in great
detail. This undermines the whole certification.

I really do want to survive in an increasingly competitive IT industry. I
know employers value university degrees and other academic qualifications
but apart from that how do you succeed? If a get an MCSD have I really got
a better chance of getting a job? Or is experience still the main criteria?

Leigh Kendall

It has value, but mostly when combined with experience. By itself, it may
get you noticed for entry-level positions.

"Jake" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Considering the large number of sites on the web that now distribute exam
> questions, does the MCP/MCSD certification have any value any more? I

know
> it definitely used to when it first came out but what about now?
>
> I'm using the Transcender pack to prepare for my exam. Doing the exam
> questions is great practice and helps me to learn about my subject in
> greater detail - something I can't do by simply reading. Doing questions
> tests my knowledge on lots of different areas and that is a good way of
> learning about my subject.
>
> The problem is that it is possible for people to learn the questions and
> answers by heart without really knowing the subject material in great
> detail. This undermines the whole certification.
>
> I really do want to survive in an increasingly competitive IT industry. I
> know employers value university degrees and other academic qualifications
> but apart from that how do you succeed? If a get an MCSD have I really

got
> a better chance of getting a job? Or is experience still the main

criteria?

Paul

I would tend to agree.

If you have some Univeristy/Acedmenic IT qualifications,
some years of experience in the windows programming
world, certifications will set you apart from other
candidates as it is a great + on your resume.

If you have no experience (just out of school), then it
will still help you get that first job (again sets you
apart from the other entry level resumes). In the entry
level positions I do not beleive it has much effect
starting salary levels, but like any qualification, it
will help you go up the ladder a little farther and a
little faster.

Chris Pettingill

Here's my thoughts on the value of MCSD etc. to me... What I really want to
do is to learn how to use C#, MS SQL, Win 2003 etc. properly. I usually
design my own solution, then try to figure out how to implement it with the
tools that I am aware. I have a big upcoming project where I'll need .NET,
MS SQL etc., so I'm thinking preparing for the certs will give me a good and
(relatively) quick idea of the best ways to implement what I need to
implement. I'm hoping that studying for the certs will focus me on the
stuff I really need to know, and save me from doing stuff the 'wrong' way.
Right now I doubt any cert will help my income level. I think I read that
as I become certified, I can display the certs on my company's website. I'm
thinking this may help our customers have more confidence in our solutions,
but this is really just an added bonus.

I (we) may be in a position to hire someone(s) in a few months. I would
probably value a university degree or experince over an MS certifcation in a
candidate. Experience would be a major factor. However, I'd strongly
consider hiring someone really hungry to learn new stuff. The technologies
change so fast that any certification might not mean so much in a couple of
years. What will be important is to have someone that will re-certify (or
at least keep leaning) as new technologies evolve. Too many people seem
happy to learn something and stick to only that as long as they can. I'd
probably also consider someone who was a co-op student (university, college,
and/or tech school). There are financial benefits to this that would make
it worthwhile to give someone new (i.e. little experience) a chance to prove
themselves. In a co-op situation, a person that new the technologies
already (i.e. had a MS certification) would probably have the edge - but
they'd really have to impress me they wanted to keep learning new stuff.

news:01e401c39c23$c20790d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would tend to agree.
>
> If you have some Univeristy/Acedmenic IT qualifications,
> some years of experience in the windows programming
> world, certifications will set you apart from other
> candidates as it is a great + on your resume.
>
> If you have no experience (just out of school), then it
> will still help you get that first job (again sets you
> apart from the other entry level resumes). In the entry
> level positions I do not beleive it has much effect
> starting salary levels, but like any qualification, it
> will help you go up the ladder a little farther and a
> little faster.

gobi

Hi Chris,
I like what you've said. You have similar attitude as me. I'm already 20
years in computers and I took my first exam in 1994. However, I realised
quickly that exams for exams had no meaning. I was running my own company at
that time and exams had no meaning for my customers (Central Europe). I
decided to concentrate on my company's certificates. I've stopped my
personal certification for 9 years and I invested all time and money to
learning and applying new technologies. It's really crazy speed of changes,
everybody knows. I'm asking myself very often if there is any real reason
for that ... However, I did not take exams for 9 years and now I'm in the
position when I have knowledge, I have experience, but I cannot prove it to
easily. I have to say, that I'm already in Germany and don't have my own
company here. At least, not now. That is, I decided to complete MCSD quickly
to have an icon for my resumes. Ironically, when I'm looking for a new job
in Germany now, I'm getting very often the answer that I'm "over-qualified".
Means, could be even worse with MCSD )) However, it will not stop me in
learning new things. I think that it's primary. Certification is secondary.
I hope that it'll be worth time and money, but who knows. I also see it as a
way to push myself to proceed as quickly as possible. We're lazy creatures
by nature, you know
Drop a message when you'll look for new staff, maybe

"Chris Pettingill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:#(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's my thoughts on the value of MCSD etc. to me... What I really want

> do is to learn how to use C#, MS SQL, Win 2003 etc. properly. I usually
> design my own solution, then try to figure out how to implement it with

the
> tools that I am aware. I have a big upcoming project where I'll need

..NET,
> MS SQL etc., so I'm thinking preparing for the certs will give me a good

and
> (relatively) quick idea of the best ways to implement what I need to
> implement. I'm hoping that studying for the certs will focus me on the
> stuff I really need to know, and save me from doing stuff the 'wrong' way.
> Right now I doubt any cert will help my income level. I think I read that
> as I become certified, I can display the certs on my company's website.

I'm
> thinking this may help our customers have more confidence in our

solutions,
> but this is really just an added bonus.
>
> I (we) may be in a position to hire someone(s) in a few months. I would
> probably value a university degree or experince over an MS certifcation in

> candidate. Experience would be a major factor. However, I'd strongly
> consider hiring someone really hungry to learn new stuff. The

technologies
> change so fast that any certification might not mean so much in a couple

of
> years. What will be important is to have someone that will re-certify (or
> at least keep leaning) as new technologies evolve. Too many people seem
> happy to learn something and stick to only that as long as they can. I'd
> probably also consider someone who was a co-op student (university,

college,
> and/or tech school). There are financial benefits to this that would make
> it worthwhile to give someone new (i.e. little experience) a chance to

prove
> themselves. In a co-op situation, a person that new the technologies
> already (i.e. had a MS certification) would probably have the edge - but
> they'd really have to impress me they wanted to keep learning new stuff.

> news:01e401c39c23$c20790d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I would tend to agree.
> >
> > If you have some Univeristy/Acedmenic IT qualifications,
> > some years of experience in the windows programming
> > world, certifications will set you apart from other
> > candidates as it is a great + on your resume.
> >
> > If you have no experience (just out of school), then it
> > will still help you get that first job (again sets you
> > apart from the other entry level resumes). In the entry
> > level positions I do not beleive it has much effect
> > starting salary levels, but like any qualification, it
> > will help you go up the ladder a little farther and a
> > little faster.

I think you're right. An extra certification will only get you a little
farther a bit faster. Most employers are cautious about who they employ
because the quality of their software is heavily dependent on the skills of
their developers. Therefore they will view any certification in a positive
way. However, it will only help at the job application stage. After
landing a job you are expected to perform.

Personally, having done the study for my MCP exam has been really beneficial
for me because I have gained a much better understanding of my field.

news:01e401c39c23$c20790d0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I would tend to agree.
>
> If you have some Univeristy/Acedmenic IT qualifications,
> some years of experience in the windows programming
> world, certifications will set you apart from other
> candidates as it is a great + on your resume.
>
> If you have no experience (just out of school), then it
> will still help you get that first job (again sets you
> apart from the other entry level resumes). In the entry
> level positions I do not beleive it has much effect
> starting salary levels, but like any qualification, it
> will help you go up the ladder a little farther and a
> little faster.

andytby

Frankly speaking, in the past 3 years I have no certificate in hand at
all, after study and sit for my first exam I realized that the
certification really gave me an overall view and the proper way to write
a good software.

3 years ago, I don't even know how to write a COM, isn't it rediculous?
most of my coding is on ASP page and call the SQL statement via ODBC
DSN, it take time to process and no security at all.

Until last year, I started to study and aim for MCSD and MCSD.NET, then
I fully discover what is MSMQ, MTS, COM, COM+, DCOM, BCP, and the latest
technology like Web Services, and many more.

I believe that at the current stage, there are still a lot of people in
my country like fresh graduates, junior programmer, or even senior
programmer, they still don't know how to code COM+ and place in MMC.

Personally speaking, I gained a lot knowledge via MCSD for my
professional field, my position work as senior consultant need to
deliver perfect solution to my client, without MCSD, I am nothing!

By the way, I still have 4 more papers to go, just pass my 1st exam
70-306.

Kline Sphere

>By itself, it may
>get you noticed for entry-level positions.

Not without a degree.

Jaime

lol
"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >By itself, it may
> >get you noticed for entry-level positions.

> Not without a degree.

Leigh Kendall

Yes, I'd tend to agree... A B.S. <g> would be helpful.

"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >By itself, it may
> >get you noticed for entry-level positions.

> Not without a degree.

The value of MCSD: added value to a degree? uv2003 MCSD 4 06-23-2005 05:41 AM
MCSD vs MCSD.net Georges MCSD 0 07-18-2003 06:19 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Davin MCSD 0 06-30-2003 03:26 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Cindy Winegarden MCSD 0 06-29-2003 07:42 PM
How to upgrade from MCSD to MCSD.Net? Deena MCSD 1 06-29-2003 10:53 AM

Advertisments