Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > why cisco 2950 switch is called as catalyst switch

why cisco 2950 switch is called as catalyst switch

mohitbakre

hi ,
actually i want to know why do we call a cisco 2950 switch as catalyst
switch.
why we use the word ( catalyst ).

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
mohitbakre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>hi ,
>actually i want to know why do we call a cisco 2950 switch as catalyst
>switch.
>why we use the word ( catalyst ).

http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...95e0dad2b5e3e2

brink

Walter Roberson schreef:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed) om>,
> mohitbakre <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >hi ,
> >actually i want to know why do we call a cisco 2950 switch as catalyst
> >switch.
> >why we use the word ( catalyst ).

> http://groups.google.ca/group/comp.d...95e0dad2b5e3e2

While hesitating to disagree with Brad Reese, the name originated with
Crescendo which
Cisco acquired in '93, see

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/1994/prod_022894.html

The first Cisco Catalyst was the 1200, which even did (limited) L3.

www.BradReese.Com

Excellent Brink, stand corrected.

In 2006, the Cisco Catalyst Switch reached a milestone with cumulative
sales totaling $20 Billion.

Once more Brink, thank you for the correction.

Sincerely and gratefully yours,

Brad Reese
http://www.BradReese.Com