Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > what is the best textbook for 70-229

what is the best textbook for 70-229

turtle

Hi,

Is there anyone here who has passed the exam 70-229? Can
you share your experience with me: what is the best
textbook for 70-229?

Great Thanks

Turtle

Leigh Kendall

Hands-on of course... In terms of books, third party books are good. Ones
that come to mind are Ken Henderson's (sp?); search Amazon for his name, he
has two which are beyond excellent. Kalen Delaney/Ron Soukup's Inside SQL
Server (MS Press) are also excellent. Anything by Joe Celko for ANSI SQL
language stuff, vendor neutral. Use the SQL Server BOL (Books Online); get
to know the layout of the BOL, there's a TON of info there, although
sometimes hard to find what you're looking for. Nonetheless, it's
indispensable.

After that, a good training guide IMHO, is the MS Press Self-paced training
kit for 70-229. Read that along with at least one of the others, get
hands-on and I think you'll be all set.

HTH,

--
Leigh Kendall MCSD, MCDBA

"turtle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:025201c39b55$e534e400$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyone here who has passed the exam 70-229? Can
> you share your experience with me: what is the best
> textbook for 70-229?
>
> Great Thanks
>
> Turtle

Chris Pettingill

Are the BOL only for SQL server? I was doing some searches on
Microsoft.com, and all the results were only for SQL Server info. Are there
no BOL for other stuff (like C#)?

"Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hands-on of course... In terms of books, third party books are good. Ones
> that come to mind are Ken Henderson's (sp?); search Amazon for his name,

he
> has two which are beyond excellent. Kalen Delaney/Ron Soukup's Inside SQL
> Server (MS Press) are also excellent. Anything by Joe Celko for ANSI SQL
> language stuff, vendor neutral. Use the SQL Server BOL (Books Online); get
> to know the layout of the BOL, there's a TON of info there, although
> sometimes hard to find what you're looking for. Nonetheless, it's
> indispensable.
>
> After that, a good training guide IMHO, is the MS Press Self-paced

training
> kit for 70-229. Read that along with at least one of the others, get
> hands-on and I think you'll be all set.
>
> HTH,
>
> --
> Leigh Kendall MCSD, MCDBA
>
> "turtle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:025201c39b55$e534e400$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there anyone here who has passed the exam 70-229? Can
> > you share your experience with me: what is the best
> > textbook for 70-229?
> >
> > Great Thanks
> >
> > Turtle

Leigh Kendall

It's all, including the SQL Server BOL, in the MSDN library. It's just that
SQL Server ships it documentation as a stand-alone install if you wish
called the SQL Server BOL.

"Chris Pettingill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are the BOL only for SQL server? I was doing some searches on
> Microsoft.com, and all the results were only for SQL Server info. Are

there
> no BOL for other stuff (like C#)?
>

> "Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hands-on of course... In terms of books, third party books are good.

Ones
> > that come to mind are Ken Henderson's (sp?); search Amazon for his name,

> he
> > has two which are beyond excellent. Kalen Delaney/Ron Soukup's Inside

SQL
> > Server (MS Press) are also excellent. Anything by Joe Celko for ANSI SQL
> > language stuff, vendor neutral. Use the SQL Server BOL (Books Online);

get
> > to know the layout of the BOL, there's a TON of info there, although
> > sometimes hard to find what you're looking for. Nonetheless, it's
> > indispensable.
> >
> > After that, a good training guide IMHO, is the MS Press Self-paced

> training
> > kit for 70-229. Read that along with at least one of the others, get
> > hands-on and I think you'll be all set.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > --
> > Leigh Kendall MCSD, MCDBA
> >
> > "turtle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:025201c39b55$e534e400$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there anyone here who has passed the exam 70-229? Can
> > > you share your experience with me: what is the best
> > > textbook for 70-229?
> > >
> > > Great Thanks
> > >
> > > Turtle

Hi Leigh,

I checked the books you recommanded. They are excellent.
But none of them specifies for the 70-229. What
about "MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Design Study Guide(exam 70-
229) by Amrc Usreal, et al, " It seems has good
reputation. Can I read one book and pass the exam?

Thanks

Jaime

You can read no books and pass the exam, it depends on your experience, etc.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:073801c39ced$2c062bd0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Leigh,
>
> I checked the books you recommanded. They are excellent.
> But none of them specifies for the 70-229. What
> about "MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Design Study Guide(exam 70-
> 229) by Amrc Usreal, et al, " It seems has good
> reputation. Can I read one book and pass the exam?
>
> Thanks

Leigh Kendall

Go to the certification site and find the link for the MS Press Self-paced
study kit for 70-229. IMHO, it's very good. However, it may not be enough to
pass the exam depending on your experience and test taking abilities.

HTH,

Leigh

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:073801c39ced$2c062bd0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Leigh,
>
> I checked the books you recommanded. They are excellent.
> But none of them specifies for the 70-229. What
> about "MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Design Study Guide(exam 70-
> 229) by Amrc Usreal, et al, " It seems has good
> reputation. Can I read one book and pass the exam?
>
> Thanks

Jaime

Microsoft actually recommends 2 books for the test.
"Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Go to the certification site and find the link for the MS Press Self-paced
> study kit for 70-229. IMHO, it's very good. However, it may not be enough

> pass the exam depending on your experience and test taking abilities.
>
> HTH,
>
> Leigh
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:073801c39ced$2c062bd0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Leigh,
> >
> > I checked the books you recommanded. They are excellent.
> > But none of them specifies for the 70-229. What
> > about "MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Design Study Guide(exam 70-
> > 229) by Amrc Usreal, et al, " It seems has good
> > reputation. Can I read one book and pass the exam?
> >
> > Thanks

Leigh Kendall

Two classes, one book is listed on the requirements page for the MCDBA.

"Jaime" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Microsoft actually recommends 2 books for the test.
> "Leigh Kendall" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Go to the certification site and find the link for the MS Press

Self-paced
> > study kit for 70-229. IMHO, it's very good. However, it may not be

enough
> > pass the exam depending on your experience and test taking abilities.
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Leigh
> >
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:073801c39ced$2c062bd0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi Leigh,
> > >
> > > I checked the books you recommanded. They are excellent.
> > > But none of them specifies for the 70-229. What
> > > about "MCSE: SQL Server 2000 Design Study Guide(exam 70-
> > > 229) by Amrc Usreal, et al, " It seems has good
> > > reputation. Can I read one book and pass the exam?
> > >
> > > Thanks

Jaime

If you go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/m...entsdotnet.asp
down by electives next to the 70-229 test are two books.