Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Help needed configuring voip.co.uk

Help needed configuring voip.co.uk

Matt

Hi. I'm struggling to get my Siemens Gigaset working with Voip.co.uk's
settings. I've tried an old account with Voiptalk and that works.

The handset says "Not available" when I try to make a call. I also can't
receive a call. I've entered the settings in the browser, and it appears to
find the servers ok. I know this because if I get something wrong, it quite
correctly says "SIP Registration Failed".

I would be really grateful if someone could take a quick look at my settings
below...

SIP ****** Authentication Name:
******** Authentication password:
******** Confirm authentication password:
****** Username:
proxy.voip.co.uk Domain:
Matt Display name:
proxy.voip.co.uk Proxy server address:
5060 Proxy server port:
registrar.voip.co.uk Registrar server:
5060 Registrar server port:
Listen ports 5060 SIP port
5004 RTP port
NO Use random ports

Network NO STUN enabled
STUN server:
3478 STUN port:
120 (seconds) NAT refresh time:
Auto Outbound proxy mode
proxy.voip.co.uk Outbound proxy:
5060 Outbound proxy port:

Voice codecs Normal VoIP Volume: (Low Normal High)
NO Enable Annex B for G729: (Yes No)

Herman

news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Hi. I'm struggling to get my Siemens Gigaset working with Voip.co.uk's
> settings. I've tried an old account with Voiptalk and that works.
>
> The handset says "Not available" when I try to make a call. I also can't
> receive a call. I've entered the settings in the browser, and it appears
> to find the servers ok. I know this because if I get something wrong, it
> quite correctly says "SIP Registration Failed".
>
> I would be really grateful if someone could take a quick look at my
> settings below...
>
> SIP ****** Authentication Name:
> ******** Authentication password:
> ******** Confirm authentication password:
> ****** Username:
> proxy.voip.co.uk Domain:
> Matt Display name:
> proxy.voip.co.uk Proxy server address:
> 5060 Proxy server port:
> registrar.voip.co.uk Registrar server:
> 5060 Registrar server port:
> Listen ports 5060 SIP port
> 5004 RTP port
> NO Use random ports
>
> Network NO STUN enabled
> STUN server:
> 3478 STUN port:
> 120 (seconds) NAT refresh time:
> Auto Outbound proxy mode
> proxy.voip.co.uk Outbound proxy:
> 5060 Outbound proxy port:
>
> Voice codecs Normal VoIP Volume: (Low Normal High)
> NO Enable Annex B for G729: (Yes No)

Can't see anything particularly wrong with that. Assuming there are no
other settings you haven't given us (e.g. AuthID and UseAuthID IIRC) then
have you checked your user name and password? Perhaps download x-lite and
try and register with that. If it is a registration problem, that already
narrows down the possibilities. For example, I don't think it is a
firewall/STUN issue.

Tim

Matt wrote:
> Hi. I'm struggling to get my Siemens Gigaset working with Voip.co.uk's
> settings. I've tried an old account with Voiptalk and that works.

The Siemens handsets are known to work fine with voip.co.uk

> SIP ****** Authentication Name:

Make sure you have your username in `Authentication name` as well as
`username`.

Yes you have to put it in twice, even if they are the same thing.

> ******** Authentication password:
> ******** Confirm authentication password:
> ****** Username:
> proxy.voip.co.uk Domain:
> Matt Display name:
> proxy.voip.co.uk Proxy server address:
> 5060 Proxy server port:
> registrar.voip.co.uk Registrar server:
> 5060 Registrar server port:

You need to have the same thing in `Domain`, `Proxy server address`,
`registrar server`

If you don't have an identical server in all three, it doesn't work.
Yes it is nuts.

So make them all registrar.voip.co.uk or proxy.voip.co.uk

I'm not quite sure which one is correct - suspect either will work
providing it is the same in all 3 boxes.

Yes, you really have to put it in 3 times.

> Auto Outbound proxy mode
> proxy.voip.co.uk Outbound proxy:
> 5060 Outbound proxy port:

Change auto to always. I've never ever had a Siemens phone work with
the setting on auto. Always Always or Never.

Tim

Matt

> If you don't have an identical server in all three, it doesn't work. Yes
> it is nuts.
>
> So make them all registrar.voip.co.uk or proxy.voip.co.uk

Hi - many thanks for that information. It looks like I'm doing everything
correctly. I have tried both of the above in all three places.

> Change auto to always. I've never ever had a Siemens phone work with the
> setting on auto. Always Always or Never.

I've tried all three, both no good (always, auto and never).

My phone is registering ok - it shows on the telephony screen. Since my
original post, I've upgraded the firmware. Having done that, the message I
get when making a call is "VOIP Status code: 400". Before the upgrade is
was "Not available".

I'm getting really frustrated with it - I think it must be due to
Voip.co.uk. I don't think they support anyone during the weekend.

Matt

> Can't see anything particularly wrong with that. Assuming there are no
> other settings you haven't given us (e.g. AuthID and UseAuthID IIRC) then
> have you checked your user name and password? Perhaps download x-lite and
> try and register with that. If it is a registration problem, that already
> narrows down the possibilities. For example, I don't think it is a
> firewall/STUN issue.

I have tried setting up the phone with an old voiptalk.org account and that
works fine for outgoing calls. I couldn't receive any incoming calls but at
least I proved a point.

Tim

Matt wrote:
> My phone is registering ok - it shows on the telephony screen. Since my
> original post, I've upgraded the firmware. Having done that, the message I
> get when making a call is "VOIP Status code: 400". Before the upgrade is
> was "Not available".

400 means bad request.

What kind of router do you have?

Maybe there is a SIP ALG in your router that is mangling the SIP on the
way through.

Tim

Matt

> 400 means bad request.
>
> What kind of router do you have?

Many thanks. It's a netgear DG834.

> Maybe there is a SIP ALG in your router that is mangling the SIP on the
> way through.

I don't think there is anything in the router's configuration about SIP. I
don't understand what ALG is.

Roger

news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> Can't see anything particularly wrong with that. Assuming there are no
>> other settings you haven't given us (e.g. AuthID and UseAuthID IIRC) then
>> have you checked your user name and password? Perhaps download x-lite
>> and try and register with that. If it is a registration problem, that
>> already narrows down the possibilities. For example, I don't think it is
>> a firewall/STUN issue.

> I have tried setting up the phone with an old voiptalk.org account and
> that works fine for outgoing calls. I couldn't receive any incoming calls
> but at least I proved a point.

I really struggled with a Netgear router and my sipuras with one way voice
and no connections and had to forward ports - something I never have to
worry about with the Linksys router. Have you tried configuring STUN just to
see if that helps the issue?

Matt

> I really struggled with a Netgear router and my sipuras with one way voice
> and no connections and had to forward ports - something I never have to
> worry about with the Linksys router. Have you tried configuring STUN just
> to see if that helps the issue?

No, I haven't. Voip.co.uk's notes say to not use STUN. I could easily
forward the packets using my router though. I wouldn't have thought that
was the reason for outbound calls not working, but I may be wrong.

Is there is long list of ports, or is it just the ones listed in the Siemens
phone's configuration page?

Linker3000

Matt wrote:
> Hi. I'm struggling to get my Siemens Gigaset working with Voip.co.uk's
> settings. I've tried an old account with Voiptalk and that works.

For what it's worth, I got a Gigaset in for evaluation and had it up and
running with voip.co.uk within about 10 mins.

Regrettably, I now have to go into 'useless mode' as I do not have the
phone to hand to check its settings for you - but have some cheer that
it *should* work!