Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSD > Self-taught MCSD

Self-taught MCSD

General Protection Fault

For 70-300 I studied an average of 2.5 hours a day for 4 weeks.
For 70-320 I studied an average of 2 hours a day for 6 weeks.
But that's because I was learning a lot of stuff that overlaps with
70-315 and 70-316, so I anticipate writing both in the same day in about
3-4 weeks.

Chris Pettingill wrote:

> Thanks, I am thinking I'll go C# so I'll definitely check out the Que books.
> How much time have you found you had to devote to preparing for each exam?
>

> "General Protection Fault" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> in message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I am currently getting my MCSD.NET certification without courses, using
>>only books. That's exactly how I got my MCSD certification.
>>
>>No, the MSPress books are not enough. They are buggy and leave out
>>important information that's on the exam. If you're doing your exams in
>>C#, buy the Que books by Amit Kalani for 70-315, 70-316 and 70-320.
>>
>>A word of warning: the MSPress book for 70-300 is COMPLETELY USELESS.
>>Buy Que's ExamCram2 book instead. It's cheaper to boot.
>>
>>Sorry Microsoft, I know it's your newsgroup, but your Training Kits suck.
>>
>>Chris Pettingill wrote:
>>
>>>I've been a Delphi developer since it came out. I want to move our

> product
>
>>>to the .NET platform, and while I understand many of the basics, I don't
>>>have much practical experience with Visual Studio, XML etc. I figured
>>>getting an MCSD would be a decent way to get introduced to this stuff,

> plus
>
>>>get the benefits that an MCSD cert would provide. However, I can't see
>>>paying a tech college $12000 + to learn this stuff - I don't have the
>>>greatest opinion of these tech colleges. Has anyone here done the MCSD
>>>training on their own from the MS books? Are they sufficient? I'm an

> MSDN
>
>>>Universal subscriber so I have all the software I need. I'm generally
>>>self-taught on most of the stuff I use now though I do have a 4 year

> honors
>
>>>degree in Comp Sci from university. I have a number of years of design,
>>>analysis, development, implementation and support experience. Is the
>>>self-taught route a good way for me to go? Or, will I really miss

> something
>
>>>trying to do this only from books and MS newsgroups? Are there better

> books
>
>>>than the MS published ones?
>>>
>>>Thanks,
>>>Chris

Jaime

If that isn't the truth, all I do when I get home at night and on weekends
is study; it's very hard when you work 50 and 60 hour weeks.

Sleep, what's that again?
"Wray Smallwood" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many people are self taught. Plenty of books that guide you are available.
> The only caveat is that self taught requires the discipline and the time

and
> it usually takes much longer if you've got a regular job.
>
> Wray
>
> "Chris Pettingill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I've been a Delphi developer since it came out. I want to move our

> product
> > to the .NET platform, and while I understand many of the basics, I don't
> > have much practical experience with Visual Studio, XML etc. I figured
> > getting an MCSD would be a decent way to get introduced to this stuff,

> plus
> > get the benefits that an MCSD cert would provide. However, I can't see
> > paying a tech college $12000 + to learn this stuff - I don't have the
> > greatest opinion of these tech colleges. Has anyone here done the MCSD
> > training on their own from the MS books? Are they sufficient? I'm an

> MSDN
> > Universal subscriber so I have all the software I need. I'm generally
> > self-taught on most of the stuff I use now though I do have a 4 year

> honors
> > degree in Comp Sci from university. I have a number of years of design,
> > analysis, development, implementation and support experience. Is the
> > self-taught route a good way for me to go? Or, will I really miss

> something
> > trying to do this only from books and MS newsgroups? Are there better

> books
> > than the MS published ones?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Chris

Kline Sphere

>If that isn't the truth, all I do when I get home at night and on weekends
>is study; it's very hard when you work 50 and 60 hour weeks.

Is there any point in living!

Jaime

Doesn't feel that way a lot of the time, lol
"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >If that isn't the truth, all I do when I get home at night and on

weekends
> >is study; it's very hard when you work 50 and 60 hour weeks.

> Is there any point in living!

Kline Sphere

>it usually takes much longer if you've got a regular job.

I don't think so! If that's the case, those people should not be
employed. I mean, if you use the tools each day, the exams should be
easy.

Jaime

Just because you are employed it doesn't mean you are coding in vs.net
everyday.
"Kline Sphere" <-> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >it usually takes much longer if you've got a regular job.

> I don't think so! If that's the case, those people should not be
> employed. I mean, if you use the tools each day, the exams should be
> easy.

Vijja

Hi,
I am a preparing for the exam 70-175, Distributed
Applications with MS Visual Basic 6.0. I am using the
MSPress book and some MS Certification CD's for this exam
I am planning to do some Measureup Exams afterwards.

Do you think that these have enough material for this
exam? Do i need to look @ any other bokks etc.

Self-study is my only option and I would appreciate any
help from you

Thanks

Vijja

Kline Sphere

>Do you think that these have enough material for this
>exam?

No.

MCSD vs MCSD.net Maria MCSD 0 07-18-2003 09:26 PM
MCSD vs MCSD.net Georges MCSD 0 07-18-2003 06:19 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Davin MCSD 0 06-30-2003 03:26 PM
Re: MCSD vb6 - is it worth it? MCSD v6 exams expiring in 2004 Cindy Winegarden MCSD 0 06-29-2003 07:42 PM
How to upgrade from MCSD to MCSD.Net? Deena MCSD 1 06-29-2003 10:53 AM

Advertisments