Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > how to extract only video ,dialogs and sound effects from a DVD ?

how to extract only video ,dialogs and sound effects from a DVD ?

urano45@tele2.fr

Hello,

I am a composer and i'd like try composing for picture. As an
exercise, i'd like to create video from commercial DVDs but without
the music : just having the video and the dialogs and snatural sounds
like the cars in the street, for exemple.

What method, software would you suggest to use ? (I don't know much
about video editing, so please ... something straightforward if
possible)

Many thanks

Urano

Rich Clark

On Mar 2, 12:24 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am a composer and i'd like try composing for picture. As an
> exercise, i'd like to create video from commercial DVDs but without
> the music : just having the video and the dialogs and snatural sounds
> like the cars in the street, for exemple.
>
> What method, software would you suggest to use ? (I don't know much
> about video editing, so please ... something straightforward if
> possible)
>
> Many thanks
>
> Urano

It's very common for multichannel DVDs to contain only dialog in the
center channel, so just deactivating everything but the center channel
during playback would get you dialog only on many movies.

But most movies don't separate the music from ambient sounds and sound
effects, and there won't be a good way to do so after the fact. Sound
effects and ambient sounds occupy the same audio spectrum as music.

Stuart

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello,
>
> I am a composer and i'd like try composing for picture. As an
> exercise, i'd like to create video from commercial DVDs but without
> the music : just having the video and the dialogs and snatural sounds
> like the cars in the street, for exemple.
>
> What method, software would you suggest to use ? (I don't know much
> about video editing, so please ... something straightforward if
> possible)
>
> Many thanks
>
> Urano

If the disc is Dolby 5.1 or better you may be able to extract a clean
dialogue track as this is normally but not always assigned to the centre
track. The music and effects are spread between the front left and right
channels with special fx to the surround channels. In the case of the music
and fx mix you can't really 'unscramble' the egg to give an analogy.

If the disc happens to be only stereo then there is no way to extract centre
assigned information, you can get a Left minus Right that by definition does
not contain any common material ie centre assigned sounds.

If it's mono then in the words of the famous line from "Planes Trains and
Automobiles" "yer f***ed!"

Sometimes as a special feature in the Extras you will get a clean music
track etc - so it varies from disc to disc.

urano45@tele2.fr

Many thanks for your answers Rich and Stuart ...

I forgot to precise, i want to create an avi file in order to import
it in my music sequencer.

Which straightforward software do you suggest to use in order to
convert the DVD to an avi file with only the center track and the
video ?

Stuart

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Many thanks for your answers Rich and Stuart ...
>
> I forgot to precise, i want to create an avi file in order to import
> it in my music sequencer.
>
> Which straightforward software do you suggest to use in order to
> convert the DVD to an avi file with only the center track and the
> video ?

Probably AutoGK to make a avi or xvid file. However you are going to have to
do some sound editing to extract the centre track info from the Dolby 5.1
sound track. This is not a simple process, because the 5.1 channels of audio
are combined in one file so you will need a sound editor like WaveLab to
extract the individual tracks. Then you will have to sync this track up with
the video. I suggest you visit www.videohelp.com forum and ask there, you
will also find some useful freeware software that might help. Another forum
worth visiting is http://forum.doom9.org/

urano45@tele2.fr

many thanks for your help Stuart, i'll check those web sites