Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Extenders

Extenders

Gordon MacPherson

Hi,
I am thinking of buying the Canon 70-200 L IS and an extender. Are there
reasons not to go for the 2X rather than the 1.4X?

Thanks,

Gordon

Skip

"Gordon MacPherson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:es8uvi$7ud$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am thinking of buying the Canon 70-200 L IS and an extender. Are there
> reasons not to go for the 2X rather than the 1.4X?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon

Which 70-200 L IS? There's an f2.8 and an f4 version. If you use the 2x on
the f4 version, AF may be affected. Which extender were you looking at,
Kenko, Canon, or a different one?
--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

JohnR66

"Gordon MacPherson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:es8uvi$7ud$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I am thinking of buying the Canon 70-200 L IS and an extender. Are there
> reasons not to go for the 2X rather than the 1.4X?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Gordon

With the 2x, you will take a hit with sharpness and contrast. On the f/4
version of the lens you may lose AF (will lose AF with the Canon version).
The 1.4x is a much better option. If you find yourself needing the reach of
your lens plus 2x often, then it is time for a longer lens.

Another cheap option is the Promaster 1.7x I still get AF with my 70-200 f/4
non IS. Sharpness is better than I expected from the $100 converter, but due
to field curvature, the corners are softer.
John

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:29:13 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "JohnR66"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>With the 2x, you will take a hit with sharpness and contrast. On the f/4
>version of the lens you may lose AF (will lose AF with the Canon version).
>The 1.4x is a much better option. If you find yourself needing the reach of
>your lens plus 2x often, then it is time for a longer lens.

Not necessarily. if you add a 2x to a 70-200mm f/2.8 to get to 400mm you
still have the shorter faster lens as well. Put together I still find this
combo something I can easily walk around with. That is not the case with my
200-400mm f/4. All depends what one needs to do with it.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Xbox 360+Media Center PC and 2 Xbox extenders =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWVfYmFrZXJAaG90bWFpbC5jb20=?= Wireless Networking 0 02-19-2007 08:29 PM
Range extenders for network? Paul & Leni Wireless Networking 3 10-11-2005 09:52 AM
Lists: XQuery engines, JDBC and ODBC drivers, OLE DB and .NET providers, DB2 extenders Ken North XML 0 04-17-2004 09:26 PM
802.11b/g extenders Brian Bergin Cisco 7 01-21-2004 12:46 PM
Diff. between Close-up Filters(diopters) and Telephoto Extenders bhaskar Digital Photography 1 08-04-2003 10:04 PM

Advertisments