Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > "Kodak Easyshare Z650" camera problem with software

Reply
Thread Tools

"Kodak Easyshare Z650" camera problem with software

 
 
willow
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2007
Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
assist me.

I have been using various "Kodak Easyshare" cameras for a few years
now. I have recently upgraded to a Z650 from a CX4230. I have
separate recharging/transfer docks for both.

When I purchased the Z650, I did not realize that it was not
compatible with my "Windows ME" operating system. It is made for
"Windows 2000' and "Windows XP". The version 6.0 software that came
with the Z650 would not install on my "Windows ME", but, luckily I was
able to use the 2.1 software that I was using for CX4230 camera. It
was most likely a higher version, as I had a couple of upgrades on it
over the years, but I do not know which version it was. Maybe 3 or 4.

Suddenly, a few weeks ago, it ceased functioning. After many hours of
conversation with Kodak representatives, I was advised that the Z650
is not meant for my operating system and it never should have worked
in the first place.

Since upgrading to a higher operating system just to use the Z650 is
not an option for me at this time, I reattached the CX4230 camera so
that I could have some way to transfer my photos on the SD card, to my
computer. Apparently, the photos that I took with the Z650 could not
be accessed by the CX4230. I could not view the photos on the CX4230
and it showed the message "Unknown File Format". In addition, now I
can not even transfer any new photos taken the CX4230 with the 2.1
software version that came with it. I have removed the program and
reinstalled it at least five times, but keep getting an "Unknown File
Type" error when I attempt to transfer photos.

The interactive support at Kodak suggested downloading the 6.0
software version, but after doing that 3 times (2 hours each time with
my dial-up service), it would not install, giving me the message that
there was an error.

If anyone could help me in resolving this very frustrating problem, I
would so appreciate it. I now own two "Kodak Easyshare" cameras,
neither of which I can transfer photos from!

If there is a way to get my 2.1 software version to work again, it
would be wonderful. If there is a card reader that is compatible with
"Window ME", please tell me, so that I can try to bypass the problem-
prone "Kodak Easyshare" software.

Thank you so much.

Willow

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ray
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2007

>
> If anyone could help me in resolving this very frustrating problem, I
> would so appreciate it. I now own two "Kodak Easyshare" cameras,
> neither of which I can transfer photos from!


How about an inexpensive USB card reader - crucial.com has several.


>
> If there is a way to get my 2.1 software version to work again, it
> would be wonderful. If there is a card reader that is compatible with
> "Window ME", please tell me, so that I can try to bypass the problem-
> prone "Kodak Easyshare" software.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Willow


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Ron Hunter
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2007
willow wrote:
> Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
> for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
> camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
> assist me.
>
> I have been using various "Kodak Easyshare" cameras for a few years
> now. I have recently upgraded to a Z650 from a CX4230. I have
> separate recharging/transfer docks for both.
>
> When I purchased the Z650, I did not realize that it was not
> compatible with my "Windows ME" operating system. It is made for
> "Windows 2000' and "Windows XP". The version 6.0 software that came
> with the Z650 would not install on my "Windows ME", but, luckily I was
> able to use the 2.1 software that I was using for CX4230 camera. It
> was most likely a higher version, as I had a couple of upgrades on it
> over the years, but I do not know which version it was. Maybe 3 or 4.
>
> Suddenly, a few weeks ago, it ceased functioning. After many hours of
> conversation with Kodak representatives, I was advised that the Z650
> is not meant for my operating system and it never should have worked
> in the first place.
>
> Since upgrading to a higher operating system just to use the Z650 is
> not an option for me at this time, I reattached the CX4230 camera so
> that I could have some way to transfer my photos on the SD card, to my
> computer. Apparently, the photos that I took with the Z650 could not
> be accessed by the CX4230. I could not view the photos on the CX4230
> and it showed the message "Unknown File Format". In addition, now I
> can not even transfer any new photos taken the CX4230 with the 2.1
> software version that came with it. I have removed the program and
> reinstalled it at least five times, but keep getting an "Unknown File
> Type" error when I attempt to transfer photos.
>
> The interactive support at Kodak suggested downloading the 6.0
> software version, but after doing that 3 times (2 hours each time with
> my dial-up service), it would not install, giving me the message that
> there was an error.
>
> If anyone could help me in resolving this very frustrating problem, I
> would so appreciate it. I now own two "Kodak Easyshare" cameras,
> neither of which I can transfer photos from!
>
> If there is a way to get my 2.1 software version to work again, it
> would be wonderful. If there is a card reader that is compatible with
> "Window ME", please tell me, so that I can try to bypass the problem-
> prone "Kodak Easyshare" software.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Willow
>

Buy a card reader. Use the docks for recharging batteries only, and
input your SD cards through the card reader. Easyshare will accept that
data just as well as data from the camera(s).
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2007
On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
>for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
>camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
>assist me.


Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.
A reader completly does away with the need for Kodak's software; the
card shows up just like a hard drive. You copy the files into any
folder in your system you want them to be in.

--
John McCain announced for
president on David Letterman's
show Wednesday. However, his
formal announcement isn't
until April. These days if
you want to run for president
you have to clear it with the
comedians before you run it by
the public.
 
Reply With Quote
 
AZ Nomad
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2007
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:16:54 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:


>>Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
>>for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
>>camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
>>assist me.


>Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
>software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.

Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Ron Baird
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-02-2007
Greetings willow,

Sorry to read that you could not get your camera connected using the latest
version of EasyShare. the requirements for that program are noted on the
package. Actually, your new camera will work fine with the latest version of
EasyShare that works on the Windows Me operating system.

The version of EasyShare you want to use is on the Kodak web site and will
work just fine with Windows Me (Version 5.2) is available. When you go to
the EasyShare download site, be sure to note the operating system version
you are running and it will offer the 5.2 version to you.

You will want to remove all other versions from your system using the
Add/Remove feature of Windows. Once they are gone, run the clear utility
just to be sure you have it cleared. After you have removed the other
versions, go to the download site and get the 5.2 version.

After it is installed, plug in your camera and the rest should be easy. You
will be able to enjoy the extra features of your camera and EasyShare
software. They are significant.

If you continue to have trouble, after installing, let us know. We will get
you up and running in no time.

Talk to you soon, Willow. If you want to contact me off line, I will see if
I can find and send a CD of that version of the software.

Best regards,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company




"willow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
> for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
> camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
> assist me.
>
> I have been using various "Kodak Easyshare" cameras for a few years
> now. I have recently upgraded to a Z650 from a CX4230. I have
> separate recharging/transfer docks for both.
>
> When I purchased the Z650, I did not realize that it was not
> compatible with my "Windows ME" operating system. It is made for
> "Windows 2000' and "Windows XP". The version 6.0 software that came
> with the Z650 would not install on my "Windows ME", but, luckily I was
> able to use the 2.1 software that I was using for CX4230 camera. It
> was most likely a higher version, as I had a couple of upgrades on it
> over the years, but I do not know which version it was. Maybe 3 or 4.
>
> Suddenly, a few weeks ago, it ceased functioning. After many hours of
> conversation with Kodak representatives, I was advised that the Z650
> is not meant for my operating system and it never should have worked
> in the first place.
>
> Since upgrading to a higher operating system just to use the Z650 is
> not an option for me at this time, I reattached the CX4230 camera so
> that I could have some way to transfer my photos on the SD card, to my
> computer. Apparently, the photos that I took with the Z650 could not
> be accessed by the CX4230. I could not view the photos on the CX4230
> and it showed the message "Unknown File Format". In addition, now I
> can not even transfer any new photos taken the CX4230 with the 2.1
> software version that came with it. I have removed the program and
> reinstalled it at least five times, but keep getting an "Unknown File
> Type" error when I attempt to transfer photos.
>
> The interactive support at Kodak suggested downloading the 6.0
> software version, but after doing that 3 times (2 hours each time with
> my dial-up service), it would not install, giving me the message that
> there was an error.
>
> If anyone could help me in resolving this very frustrating problem, I
> would so appreciate it. I now own two "Kodak Easyshare" cameras,
> neither of which I can transfer photos from!
>
> If there is a way to get my 2.1 software version to work again, it
> would be wonderful. If there is a card reader that is compatible with
> "Window ME", please tell me, so that I can try to bypass the problem-
> prone "Kodak Easyshare" software.
>
> Thank you so much.
>
> Willow
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-03-2007
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:25:21 GMT, AZ Nomad
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:16:54 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:

>
>>>Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
>>>for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
>>>camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
>>>assist me.

>
>>Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
>>software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.

>Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
>Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.


I think it's fair to say, if the OP buys a card reader, it will work
in ME.
Unless he buys a very old reader, used, for $2.00.

--
John McCain announced for
president on David Letterman's
show Wednesday. However, his
formal announcement isn't
until April. These days if
you want to run for president
you have to clear it with the
comedians before you run it by
the public.
 
Reply With Quote
 
AZ Nomad
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-04-2007
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:50:33 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:25:21 GMT, AZ Nomad
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:


>>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:16:54 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>wrote:

>>
>>>>Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
>>>>for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
>>>>camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
>>>>assist me.

>>
>>>Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
>>>software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.

>>Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
>>Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.


>I think it's fair to say, if the OP buys a card reader, it will work
>in ME.

Probably, assuming that the card reader maker supplies a windows-9x driver
disk.

>Unless he buys a very old reader, used, for $2.00.

Or buys any reader made since 1998.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Funk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      03-05-2007
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 03:45:42 GMT, AZ Nomad
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 07:50:33 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>
>>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 20:25:21 GMT, AZ Nomad
>><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>>>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:16:54 -0700, Bill Funk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>On 1 Mar 2007 17:56:33 -0800, "willow" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>>>wrote:
>>>
>>>>>Hello everyone. This is my first post here. From reading your posts
>>>>>for while, I could see that the group is very helpful with digital
>>>>>camera problems and I am very hopeful that someone might be able to
>>>>>assist me.
>>>
>>>>Wndows ME will handle a USB card reader without the need for any other
>>>>software/drivers; they are just plug'n'play.
>>>Only if the card reader chipset was in existance in the late 90's.
>>>Most usb card readers require a drivers install to work with win9x.

>
>>I think it's fair to say, if the OP buys a card reader, it will work
>>in ME.

>Probably, assuming that the card reader maker supplies a windows-9x driver
>disk.
>

When I look, I find that with ME, no other software is needed, for the
vast majority of card readers.
>>Unless he buys a very old reader, used, for $2.00.

>Or buys any reader made since 1998.


Again, I can look in, for example, B&H's site, and see the majority of
readers work with ME with no other software needed.

--
John Edwards was warned by Democrats
in Nevada Thursday that his support
for a bill to ban betting on college
sports will cost him the state. You
have to love Nevada. It's the only
place where a personal injury lawyer
has the moral high ground.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KOdak Easyshare Software Problem Indrek Aavisto Digital Photography 15 10-23-2007 04:26 AM
Kodak Easyshare Software problem amyotte Digital Photography 15 07-16-2007 04:49 PM
Kodak EasyShare C743 Camera Video Problem Jim Thomas Digital Photography 3 01-02-2007 06:55 PM
Kodak Releases A New Camera - KODAK EasyShare-One digital camera Ron Baird Digital Photography 28 01-10-2005 04:07 AM
Problem with EasyShare software Lise Digital Photography 1 11-09-2003 08:30 PM



Advertisments