Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Backup drive with card reader problem with XD cards

Backup drive with card reader problem with XD cards

MikeM

I have a Compact Drive 70x with built-in card readers. It downloads
the CF cards to the portable HDD with no problems. It starts
downloading xd cards but stops about half way. I just bought a H XD to
use with my Oly C-7070 to test the card reader because I was thinking
of getting an Oly SP-550UZ for a 3-month overseas trip. I don't have a
lap top or access to a computer while I am away so I need to download
to the portable HDD. On my last trip I found that to download from the
XD I had to copy to the CF and then plug the CF into the HDD.

Are there any card reader/portable HDDs that definitely work with XD
cards?

JohnR66

"MikeM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a Compact Drive 70x with built-in card readers. It downloads
> the CF cards to the portable HDD with no problems. It starts
> downloading xd cards but stops about half way. I just bought a H XD to
> use with my Oly C-7070 to test the card reader because I was thinking
> of getting an Oly SP-550UZ for a 3-month overseas trip. I don't have a
> lap top or access to a computer while I am away so I need to download
> to the portable HDD. On my last trip I found that to download from the
> XD I had to copy to the CF and then plug the CF into the HDD.
>
> Are there any card reader/portable HDDs that definitely work with XD
> cards?

Check the specs to be sure any device you plan to use the new type of xD
cards in is compatible. It is looking more like xD is on its way out thanks
to the popularity of SD. Fujifilm, one of the few supporters of xD has put a
dual xD/SD card slot in new cameras indicating the possibility of abandoning
the xD format.
John

MikeM

Unfortunately for me they made the 550UZ XD only. It will probably be
the last model to have XD only. The XD H works in my C-7070, but I
only use it when the CF is full and I don't have my backup drive with
me.