Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Camera Purchase

Camera Purchase

Chil

I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change my
35mm for a digital.

I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry level
and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the pro
range of cameras.!!! )

I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
making the selection process even more clouded.

As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns them?

Comments much appreciated.

Thanks
Chil

John Ortt

Go into a shop and ask to use each one. Play with them for about an hour
and see which you prefer.

You will pay an extra 30 over an internet price for the privilege of
playing with the cameras in the shop but it's well worth it.

Both are great tools but it's all down to personal preference.

P.S. I am not a pro but a keen amateur if that makes any difference

"Chil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qxPEh.4144$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change my
> 35mm for a digital.
>
> I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry level
> and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the pro
> range of cameras.!!! )
>
> I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
> making the selection process even more clouded.
>
> As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
> solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns
> them?
>
> Comments much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chil

Adrian Boliston

"Chil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qxPEh.4144$(E-Mail Removed)...

> I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change my
> 35mm for a digital.
>
> I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry level
> and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the pro
> range of cameras.!!! )
>
> I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
> making the selection process even more clouded.
>
> As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
> solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns
> them?
>
> Comments much appreciated.

As you are currently a film shooter you presumably have some lenses already?
Also by keeping the brand you currently shoot then you will probably like
the similar layout of controls. Certainly in the case of Nikon the D200
appeals to people with an existing collection of manual lenses.

Also remember that *lenses* are far more important than the body as a
general rule, so look at the lenses that are avaliable for the body you
choose. Your body will will likely be replaced far more often than your
lenses which are a long term investment!

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Charles Schuler

"Chil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qxPEh.4144$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change my
> 35mm for a digital.
>
> I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry level
> and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the pro
> range of cameras.!!! )
>
> I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
> making the selection process even more clouded.
>
> As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
> solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns
> them?

I own very similar cameras and can strongly state that both are good
choices. Pick the one that feels good in your hands and seems to be the
easiest to use. If you already own lenses or accessories that would work
with either one, that would be the clincher for me.

Chil

Thanks to everyone that has replied to my post....

I actually have several 35mm. A Nikon F301, Canon EOS3000 and a Canon FX. I
have a variety of lenses for each of them, but the EOS3000 is the only
camera I have EF lenses for.

I took some time out today to have a comparison and ended up buying the
Canon 400D with twin lens kit, 4Gb HS memory card and spare battery.
Couldn't get the optional grip though. $1600 all up. Best price in Sydney,
so not complaining...

Now just waiting for the battery to charge.....

Cheers

Chil

"Chil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:qxPEh.4144$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change my
> 35mm for a digital.
>
> I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry level
> and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the pro
> range of cameras.!!! )
>
> I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
> making the selection process even more clouded.
>
> As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
> solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns
> them?
>
> Comments much appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> Chil

John Ortt

A fine choice but then you were looking at two excellent cameras whichever
way you went.

I hope it brings you lots of happiness,

John

"Chil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LFaFh.4627$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks to everyone that has replied to my post....
>
> I actually have several 35mm. A Nikon F301, Canon EOS3000 and a Canon FX.
> I have a variety of lenses for each of them, but the EOS3000 is the only
> camera I have EF lenses for.
>
> I took some time out today to have a comparison and ended up buying the
> Canon 400D with twin lens kit, 4Gb HS memory card and spare battery.
> Couldn't get the optional grip though. $1600 all up. Best price in Sydney,
> so not complaining...
>
> Now just waiting for the battery to charge.....
>
> Cheers
>
> Chil
>
> "Chil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:qxPEh.4144$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm not a professional photographer, but have finally decided to change
>> my 35mm for a digital.
>>
>> I'm looking at either the Canon EOS400D or the Nikon D80. Both entry
>> level and price wise fairly close to each other. (No, I can't afford the
>> pro range of cameras.!!! )
>>
>> I've read lots of reviews of which many seem to contradict each other,
>> making the selection process even more clouded.
>>
>> As there are many pro photographers lurking within this group, could I
>> solicit opinions on these two cameras, preferably from anyone who owns
>> them?
>>
>> Comments much appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Chil