Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D80 Firmware update

Reply
Thread Tools

D80 Firmware update

 
 
Just D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
Here is a very nice link with the manual for the firmware update.

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

It's not absolutely clear for me. The site provides a very detailed info
about firmware update, but here is one moment that I'm not sure that I
understood correctly. Doesn't matter which way I want to go, using USB or
Card Reader. There are two parts of the firmware, A and B. I understood that
I need to copy the part A to the root of the card, insert the card into the
camera, turn it on, then update the firmware using the menu. That's ok.
Next. I'm not sure that I can turn the camera off after the first part is
updated to take the card off, write the second part to the card, then insert
into the camera. Can I do these operations with the camera and the card
while the camera if ON? Or I need to always turn the camera off when I
connect/disconnect to the computer using USB port, replace/remove/insert a
SDHC card, etc.? I know that can't turn the camera off if the firmware
update if not accomplished. But what should I do between A and B parts?
Could anybody please clarify me that? When the part A is updated I can see
the info that it's done, check the version number, etc. Can I shut the
camera off to write the second part of the firmware to the media to continue
update?

I'm sure there are many people who did that a lot of times and this question
is pretty simple for them.

Thanks,
Just D.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 00:00:55 -0700, Just D wrote:

> I know that can't turn the camera off if the firmware
> update if not accomplished. But what should I do between A and B parts?
> Could anybody please clarify me that? When the part A is updated I can see
> the info that it's done, check the version number, etc. Can I shut the
> camera off to write the second part of the firmware to the media to continue
> update?
>
> I'm sure there are many people who did that a lot of times and this question
> is pretty simple for them.


From what Nikon is saying, there are two completely independent
firmware updates that have to be made. You could update the A chip
in the camera, turn it off and update the B chip a month later if
you want. They seem to be saying that the camera will operate if
either the A or B update is made, but not both, but . . . they also
indicate that if only one update is made that they can't guarantee
that the camera will operate properly. So it appears that you don't
have to worry about turning the camera off after only one of the
updates is made, since it's not as if they are two halves of a
single EPROM(or whatever) program in the camera, but two independent
files, each probably controlling different functions in the camera.
For that matter, the D80 probably has more than one internal CPU,
and CPU A that operates from EPROM A probably doesn't see EPROM B
and vice-versa for CPU B, which is another way of saying that each
EPROM is self contained and you don't have to worry about turning
off the camera after only one part has been updated. If you now
re-read the instructions it may be a little clearer, assuming that
what I just wrote didn't further muddy the waters.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
M-M
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
I plugged the camera into the computer with the USB. Copied A to the
camera. Updated via the menu. Turned camera off. Turned camera on.
Copied B to the camera. Updated via menu. Turned camera off. Done.

Seems to work fine.

m-m
 
Reply With Quote
 
Just D
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
"M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I plugged the camera into the computer with the USB. Copied A to the
> camera. Updated via the menu. Turned camera off. Turned camera on.
> Copied B to the camera. Updated via menu. Turned camera off. Done.
> Seems to work fine.


Yes, I've done the same after got the official answer from Nikon. It worked.
Their mostly TOO detailed instructions missed this moment, there were
several warnings like don't unplug, turn off, take the media off from the
camera, operate the buttons or other controls, etc. while you're updating
but they didn't say if it's possible to turn it off between two different
updates. It was looking it's possible but I wanted to know for sure.

Thanks,
Just D.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Hal Lowe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-23-2007
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:43:36 -0700, "Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"M-M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I plugged the camera into the computer with the USB. Copied A to the
>> camera. Updated via the menu. Turned camera off. Turned camera on.
>> Copied B to the camera. Updated via menu. Turned camera off. Done.
>> Seems to work fine.

>
>Yes, I've done the same after got the official answer from Nikon. It worked.
>Their mostly TOO detailed instructions missed this moment, there were
>several warnings like don't unplug, turn off, take the media off from the
>camera, operate the buttons or other controls, etc. while you're updating
>but they didn't say if it's possible to turn it off between two different
>updates. It was looking it's possible but I wanted to know for sure.
>
>Thanks,
>Just D.
>


Definitely better to be safe...

I just completed the upgrade as well. The only thing that I hadn't
thought of before reading the instructions was to reformat the card
after completing A and before completing B. I also made sure to
reformat again after completing the B upgrade.

Regards,

Hal Lowe

http://www.cafepress.com/halogos (unique logo t-shirts, mugs & more)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?...name=web_email
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
problems SCCP firmware update to firmware of a sip cisco 7960 juanpaskater VOIP 0 04-27-2009 05:00 PM
Change D70's Firmware to D100 Firmware??? Mark Mestman Digital Photography 4 08-18-2004 02:22 PM
Re: MN-700 firmware update Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows] Wireless Networking 10 07-31-2004 10:05 PM
Quick toshiba PDR 3300 question "to Flash firmware or not flash firmware"? upgrade neccessary? Dean Reno Digital Photography 0 07-30-2004 05:46 AM
Quick toshiba PDR 3300 question "to Flash firmware or not flash firmware"? upgrade neccessary? Dean Reno Digital Photography 0 07-30-2004 05:46 AM



Advertisments