Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 500 8 Reflex-Nikkor and Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11, 5200/1:14

500 8 Reflex-Nikkor and Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11, 5200/1:14

Just D

Does anybody have any experience with this one?

500 8 Reflex-Nikkor.C

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...6newwindow%3D1

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...6newwindow%3D1

http://images.google.com/images?svnu...kor+Reflex+500

I'm just wondering because it's pretty old and I didn't hear that this one
even exists.

Also found couple more interesting links.

http://www.canonfd.com/mirrorlenses/index.html

This brochure tells about Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11,
5200/1:14. Interesting monsters... Made for a special purpose? Never heard
that we're having something like that now.

Just D.

Toby

"Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wjOCh.296539$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody have any experience with this one?
>
> 500 8 Reflex-Nikkor.C
>
> http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...6newwindow%3D1
>
> http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...6newwindow%3D1
>
> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...kor+Reflex+500
>
> I'm just wondering because it's pretty old and I didn't hear that this one
> even exists.
>
> Also found couple more interesting links.
>
> http://www.canonfd.com/mirrorlenses/index.html
>
> This brochure tells about Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11,
> 5200/1:14. Interesting monsters... Made for a special purpose? Never heard
> that we're having something like that now.

Apparently not. They were used for the '64 Olympics and could mount either
Canon SLRs or TV cameras. Did you notice that the 5200mm lens weighed 100
kg?

Toby

Just D

"Toby"
>> http://www.canonfd.com/mirrorlenses/index.html
>> This brochure tells about Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11,
>> 5200/1:14. Interesting monsters... Made for a special purpose? Never
>> heard that we're having something like that now.

> Apparently not. They were used for the '64 Olympics and could mount either
> Canon SLRs or TV cameras. Did you notice that the 5200mm lens weighed 100
> kg?

But 100 kg... But 5200*1.5 for digital... But 100 kg... That's wow! All
current lenses can just relax. I guess that mechanically they should be
very primitive, I'm not even taking about "electronically", the number of
lines per unit is rather significantly smaller, but these terrible
numbers... I'm very impressed. Maybe it was not very bad for TV with its
much lower requirements for the picture?

Just D.

jeff.boone@nwea.org

On Feb 20, 6:41 pm, "Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience with this one?
>
> 500 8 Reflex-Nikkor.C
>
> http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...om.my/rb/photo...
>
> http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...om.my/rb/photo...
>
> http://images.google.com/images?svnu...kor+Reflex+500
>
> I'm just wondering because it's pretty old and I didn't hear that this one
> even exists.
>
> Also found couple more interesting links.
>
> http://www.canonfd.com/mirrorlenses/index.html
>
> This brochure tells about Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8, 2000/1:11,
> 5200/1:14. Interesting monsters... Made for a special purpose? Never heard
> that we're having something like that now.
>
> Just D.

I used to have one that I used on my F4. It made for a pretty
reasonable (read: MUCH less expensive) alternative to a conventional
500mm lens, and was also quite a bit lighter. But there are always
trade-offs, and in this case the downside was that the lens sacrificed
quite a bit of contrast. Whether that was by virtue of the cat design
or just a case of less than optimal glass in mine, I don't know. But
many of the pictures it produced were rather "blah" looking due to the
low contrast, particularly those of more distant subjects (probably at
least partially due to atmospheric haze).

In any case I don't have it any more. I doubt that it would even
mount on my D200 anyway.

Jeff

David Ruether

"Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:wjOCh.296539$(E-Mail Removed)...

> Does anybody have any experience with this one?
>
> 500 8 Reflex-Nikkor.C

It is listed at my www.donferrario.com/ruether/slemn.html
(note the address change). There are two versions, the "C"
is the earlier, larger one. I preferred that one, though the
later compact one focused closer and was good at medium
distances. The first version was good enough to perform well
with the Nikon TC14/14B converters for a surprisingly good
700mm (1050mm equivalent on digital) that is fairly light and
compact - though it is a slow f11 (but in practice, even slower).
--
David Ruether
www.donferrario.com/ruether/

Paul Repacholi

"Toby" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> "Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:wjOCh.296539$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> This brochure tells about Canon mirror lenses - 800/1:3.8,
>> 2000/1:11, 5200/1:14. Interesting monsters... Made for a special
>> purpose? Never heard that we're having something like that now.

> Apparently not. They were used for the '64 Olympics and could mount
> either Canon SLRs or TV cameras. Did you notice that the 5200mm lens
> weighed 100 kg?

I think they are still current, but now only listed for TV use.
Want to have instant messaging, and chat rooms, and discussion
groups for your local users or business, you need dbabble!
-- See http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_dbabble.htm ----