Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Which NEF is it??

Which NEF is it??

eddie rukidding

This topic has probably been addressed here but I missed it if it was
so here goes...

Why is it that the NEF files I get from my Coolscan V film scanner are
different from the ones I get from my Nikon digital SLRs?

The film scanner files are not recongized in ACDSee products and
Photoshop gives me a message that "This is not a RAW image taken by a
camera" and "The file will be opened according to changes with
applications" and asks me if I want to proceed. Do I? I'm not sure
what happens if I do!

Any insight, clarifications or work arounds to this issue would be
appreciated. I have a few thousand slides to scan and would like to
be able to work with them in ACDSee for sorting and cataloging.

ray

On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 02:45:28 +0000, eddie rukidding wrote:

> This topic has probably been addressed here but I missed it if it was
> so here goes...
>
> Why is it that the NEF files I get from my Coolscan V film scanner are
> different from the ones I get from my Nikon digital SLRs?
>
> The film scanner files are not recongized in ACDSee products and
> Photoshop gives me a message that "This is not a RAW image taken by a
> camera" and "The file will be opened according to changes with
> applications" and asks me if I want to proceed. Do I? I'm not sure
> what happens if I do!

So, have you? I doubt it will blow up the house.

> Any insight, clarifications or work arounds to this issue would be
> appreciated. I have a few thousand slides to scan and would like to
> be able to work with them in ACDSee for sorting and cataloging.

Mike Russell

"eddie rukidding" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This topic has probably been addressed here but I missed it if it was
> so here goes...
>
> Why is it that the NEF files I get from my Coolscan V film scanner are
> different from the ones I get from my Nikon digital SLRs?

Although Nikon has used the .NEF file extension for its scanner files, they
are internally different from the raw files produced by a camera. For
example, the pixel data from a camera's .NEF file is arranged in a
red/green/blue mosaic pattern that corresponds to the sensor of the camera,
while the scanner file contains complete RGB information for each pixel.
The .NEF files from your scanner are meaningful for Nikon software, but not
for programs that expect raw files from a camera.

> The film scanner files are not recongized in ACDSee products and
> Photoshop gives me a message that "This is not a RAW image taken by a
> camera" and "The file will be opened according to changes with
> applications" and asks me if I want to proceed. Do I? I'm not sure
> what happens if I do!

The file will fail to load because it does not contain raw camera data.

> Any insight, clarifications or work arounds to this issue would be
> appreciated. I have a few thousand slides to scan and would like to
> be able to work with them in ACDSee for sorting and cataloging.

Save your scanned images as TIFF or JPEG images, and you can use them in
ACDSee. .NEF files from a scanner are horses of a different color
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/