Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sigma SD14 samples

Sigma SD14 samples

Alfred Molon

http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/

--

Alfred Molon

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Feb 17, 4:44 am, Alfred Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/

What did you think, Alfred?

My thoughts are:
- the usual nice, but only apparent, 'per-pixel' sharpness - note how
very thin lines are accompanied by moire-like effects, and often are
more jaggies than detail.. Eg here's a tiny cropped area from one of
them:

http://www.marktphoto.com/sd14-po-002-cropped.jpg

Eeurgh.

Admittedly this is only going to be visible on a large print, but
*they* are claiming it has the equivalent of 14Mp (heheh), so this
sort of thing is an issue imo. Can't have it both ways.

- the skin tones are a little off in my opinion, as many Foveon images
seem to be. They show that odd tinge of yellow/orange in areas - eg
check the shadow areas of the small girl's face.

Maybe it's the lighting, and I concede I have a slight r-g colour
perception issue, but the numbers seem to back up my sense.. Others
with more accurately tuned eyes may wish to contribute. (O;

But me, I think the whole Sigma/Foveon thing is too little, too late,
and too expensive. If they could untwist the colours a little, get
better high ISO performance, provide genuine resolution without the
moire and jaggies, and get production costs down.......... it would be
a winner!!!

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Feb 17, 11:29 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> - the skin tones are a little off in my opinion, as many Foveon images
> seem to be. They show that odd tinge of yellow/orange in areas - eg
> check the shadow areas of the small girl's face.

And before anyone states the obvious, yes, I can see the coloured
scarf around the girl's neck - but this effect is not constrained to
*those* shadows... And isn't it an interesting coincidence that they
would use such a scarf - perhaps they were expecting the criticism and
wanted a nice excuse? Oh, I'm such a cynic. (O:

frederick

Alfred Molon wrote:
> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/

If they're going to pp photos, they should do a better job of selecting
/ feathering selection to make it less obvious:

http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-pho...d14-sl-002.jpg

Little Juice Coupe

Well, it looks like Sigma finally got the bugs worked out. It is a shame
that after all of that the images aren't any better than the other brands.
Add to that that the thing will only use Sigma lenses and you have a real
dog.

ljc

news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/
>
> --
>
> Alfred Molon

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/

I'll continue to pass on all Sigma-branded products.

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Randall Ainsworth" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:160220072003282431%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
> Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/

> I'll continue to pass on all Sigma-branded products.

You know you really want an SD14 - have you placed your order yet?

Randall Ainsworth

In article <aIvBh.216$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You know you really want an SD14 - have you placed your order yet?

You know that the "14" in the model number is the number of dollars
that it's worth?

nospam

In article <1171680240.426128@ftpsrv1>, frederick <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Alfred Molon wrote:
> > http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/
> >

> If they're going to pp photos, they should do a better job of selecting
> / feathering selection to make it less obvious:
>
> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-pho...d14-sl-002.jpg

i thought these were supposed to showcase *the camera* and not how
skilled someone is with photoshop. do they really expect people to not
notice?

not that it matters - these samples are *awful*.

there are blown highlights, blurry corners, weird yellow or bluish
tints, blotchy green spots, alias artifacting (love that variable
thickness hair), plenty of chromatic aberration and as mentioned,
extensive post-processing manipulation.

and this is supposed to be the best it can do??

MarkČ

Alfred Molon wrote:
> http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-photo/

Sheesh... That camera's so bad it even made the two-year-old cry!

http://www.sigma-sd14.com/sample-pho...d14-po-004.jpg

www.pbase.com/markuson

Tethering the Sigma SD14 Fred the Red Shirt Digital Photography 8 02-10-2009 01:35 AM
SD14 Alfred Molon Digital Photography 8 06-04-2007 10:41 AM
Sigma's SD14 Postponed Kinon O'Cann Digital Photography 50 12-11-2006 02:24 PM
Is this new Sigma SD14 DSLR? Digital Photography Now Digital Photography 119 09-16-2006 06:54 PM
Sigma 24-60 DG compare with sigma 24-70 DG rolento Digital Photography 1 11-13-2004 02:40 AM

Advertisments