Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Minolta A1 & basketball

Minolta A1 & basketball

lucky4fingers

Ok - I'm ready to give up. Maybe someone has ideas. I'd like to take
pictures at basketball games with my A1. The main problem is the lens only
open to f/3.5 not really wide enough for the dim light and action.
If the ISO is slow enough for non grainy pictures the speed / f stop aren't
good enough for non blurry pictures.
ON full manual at 400 or 800 ISO, f 3.5, and speed @ 160 or 180 then it's
hard to see/focus the shot. Then post processing to bring up the brightness
& contrast brings out the grain of the high ISO setting. Auto focus is off
to eliminate shutter lag.

Any ideas besides a DSLR, good lens, and $1200+?
TIA

JakeC

lucky4fingers wrote:
> [snip] The main problem is the lens only
> open to f/3.5 not really wide enough for the dim light and action.
> If the ISO is slow enough for non grainy pictures the speed / f stop aren't
> good enough for non blurry pictures.

Of course.

> ON full manual at 400 or 800 ISO, f 3.5, and speed @ 160 or 180 then it's
> hard to see/focus the shot.

Can you pre-focus, set the depth of view, then wait and shoot?

> Then post processing to bring up the brightness
> & contrast brings out the grain of the high ISO setting. Auto focus is off
> to eliminate shutter lag.
>
> Any ideas besides a DSLR, good lens, and $1200+?

Fujifilm S6000fd.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/S6000/S6000A5.HTM

"The Fujifilm S6000fd blew us away with its ability to make excellent
13x19 inch prints from its six megapixel images. High ISO images were
useable at 11x14 up to ISO 800, an impressive performance. ISO 1,600 and
3,200 images were quite a bit softer, but both could produce decent 5x7
inch images. Overall, the S6000fd sets the high water mark for image
excellence from a digicam under $400.

Colors were also terriffic across the board, even as ISO ramped up. At
ISO 3,200, odd yellow blotches became visible on our indoor incandescent
shot, however, so we recommend sticking to ISO 1,600 for most photography."

Roy G

"lucky4fingers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98D7D9617C835wheresTheFifthcom@69.28.173.1 84...
> Ok - I'm ready to give up. Maybe someone has ideas. I'd like to take
> pictures at basketball games with my A1. The main problem is the lens only
> open to f/3.5 not really wide enough for the dim light and action.
> If the ISO is slow enough for non grainy pictures the speed / f stop
> aren't
> good enough for non blurry pictures.
> ON full manual at 400 or 800 ISO, f 3.5, and speed @ 160 or 180 then it's
> hard to see/focus the shot. Then post processing to bring up the
> brightness
> & contrast brings out the grain of the high ISO setting. Auto focus is off
> to eliminate shutter lag.
>
> Any ideas besides a DSLR, good lens, and $1200+?
> TIA

Hi.

I think your budget for the lens of $1200 is well below what is needed.

Roy G

rich

I recently bought a used 1.7f; 50mm Minolta AF mount lens for $50.00 on the
internet. I don't know your crop factor..but that would probably be
equivalent to 75mm. Might that type of lens help? If you have to get
closer...than I can't help Rich

Suggestions for Basketball Pics bill Digital Photography 10 12-22-2010 02:48 PM
JS Basketball Bracket Jimmy Smits Java 2 02-10-2005 09:01 PM
OT: Basketball question... Mary Computer Support 8 05-02-2004 06:35 AM
best lens for basketball Wide-angle nothing@nothin.com Digital Photography 2 01-27-2004 06:00 AM
Basketball game pictures StuartB54 Digital Photography 4 01-17-2004 04:42 PM

Advertisments