Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon lens compatability

Nikon lens compatability

Ockham's Razor

will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

Adrian Boliston

"Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

It will work fine - an awesome combo!

Yoshi

The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S lenses,
as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on Nikon's part, in
my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor in their cheapest
film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs will function with
most Nikon AF lenses.

Yoshi

"Adrian Boliston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

> It will work fine - an awesome combo!

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 23:14:39 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Adrian Boliston"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?

>It will work fine - an awesome combo!

There is one limitation.
AF assist is not available with the following lenses:
AF-S VR ED 70200 mm f/2.8G
AF ED 80200 mm f/2.8D
AF-S VR ED 200400 mm f/4G
AF-S VR 300 mm f/2.8G
AF-S ED 80200 mm f/2.8D
AF VR ED 80400 mm f/4.55.6D
AF-S VR 200 mm f/2G
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Adrian Boliston

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> There is one limitation.
> AF assist is not available with the following lenses:
> . AF-S VR ED 70-200 mm f/2.8G
> . AF ED 80-200 mm f/2.8D
> . AF-S VR ED 200-400 mm f/4G
> . AF-S VR 300 mm f/2.8G
> . AF-S ED 80-200 mm f/2.8D
> . AF VR ED 80-400 mm f/4.5-5.6D
> . AF-S VR 200 mm f/2G

I assume "AF assist" is that nasty red glow the camera produces to help
focus in low light. I have turned this off on my d70s for many months with
no ill effects.

Apteryx

"Yoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d3a648$0$24444$(E-Mail Removed)...
> The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S lenses,
> as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on Nikon's part,
> in my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor in their
> cheapest film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs will
> function with most Nikon AF lenses.

But the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR the OP is asking about is an AF-S
lens, so it would work on a D40 anyway. If the OP were asking about a D40.

--
Apteryx

Yoshi

Uh. I understood the question. I took the opportunity to put in my 2 cents
worth about the D40.

"Apteryx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:er0alf$6qe$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Yoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45d3a648$0$24444$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S
>> lenses, as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on
>> Nikon's part, in my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor
>> in their cheapest film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs
>> will function with most Nikon AF lenses.

> But the Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR the OP is asking about is an AF-S
> lens, so it would work on a D40 anyway. If the OP were asking about a D40.
>
> --
> Apteryx

JohnR66

"Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?
>
> --
> "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
> carrying a cross."
> Sinclair Lewis

Will work fine.

Canon & Nikon must be loving all the sales of high end glass for their lower
end SLRs. I've seen a lot of people putting their D50s and Rebels on monster
glass normally used by pros. I always say, spend more on lenses!
John

Psst

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 19:16:09 -0500, "Yoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The D40 is the camera that is handicapped. It works only with AF-S lenses,
>as the body doesn't contain a focusing motor. A mistake on Nikon's part, in
>my opinion, as they fouund a way to include such a motor in their cheapest
>film SLRs, like the N55 or N60. All other Nikon DSLRs will function with
>most Nikon AF lenses.
>
>Yoshi

I agree,i have been shopping for a DSLR for a few months now and would
have liked the D40 as its compact and in my price range but they
foolishly handicapped it as you say. My only other choices are a d70s
now discontinued and so being offered at good prices,but i find it a
little bulky or failing that,i feel i will have to migrate to canon
eos400d as there is nothing in the nikon range at this price bracket
which fits the bill.

Joan

That's the wrong way around.

You don't fit a 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR on a D50, you put the D50 on
the 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR.

--
Joan

"Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: will a Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G AF-S VR work on a D50?
:
: --