Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > General Electric (GE) camera

General Electric (GE) camera

jeremy

"Bill K" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Feb 14, 3:26 pm, Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, ASAAR
>>
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> > I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?

>> Nope; it would never have occurred to me to look at it. Interesting,
>> though - I've often bemoaned the miserable AM performance of almost all
>> recent car stereos, stereo receivers, etc. - even some very high-end
>> units.
>>
>> I DO note in the article you linked to contains phrases like "severe
>> quality control issues" and "not uncommon to go through several SR's
>> before finding one that's satisfactory."

> GE is a huge company--one of the largest corporations in the world. It
> has a tremendous amount of resources and doesn't undertake an
> initiative without exhaustive research. Maybe they believe theyve
> found a niche where they can dominate. Whether or not it's successful
> remains to be seen but given GE's reputation, it has a strong chance
> of success.
> --
> Gator Bait

GE has previously stated that their objective is to be #1 or #2 in any
market they participate in, or they will withdraw entirely. In other words,
failure is not an option for them. I suspect that they will have some
degree of success in this. They do not act in a knee-jerk fashion.

davek57

I'd guess GE is looking to displace the no-name and inferior digital
cameras (can you say 'Polaroid') now sold in chain drugstores. That's
where GE sells a fair amount of computer peripherals (mouses, etc.).
Probably an OK strategy, short-term. But the glut of cheap digital
cameras has brought down prices to the point where you can buy 8
megapixels and pretty good versatility (Kodak's C875 comes to mind)
for under $175. It's hardly worthwhile getting into this business,
because it's hard to do it profitably without giving up market share.

Will I buy a GE - branded camera? Doubtful.

-Dave

On Feb 14, 3:31 am, "moonsotti" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
> manufacturers,http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07...ralimaging.asp
>
> They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
> sensitivity, and
> panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
>
> "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
> resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
> Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
> 3-inch LCD screens."

jeremy

"davek57" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> Will I buy a GE - branded camera? Doubtful.

It appears that GE is going after mass consumer sales, not guys like us.
And, if they have the engineering expertise and the manufacturing knowledge
to build a digital camera at less cost than their competitors, and if they
can sell them in the millions, it might be profitable for them.

The mass-market consumer cameras are fast becoming commoditized. What does
it matter if one buys a 6 MP Pentax, or an HP, or a Casio? They're all
about the same--especially to consumers that tend not to be as critical as
more advanced amateurs. There has got to be a shakeup in the
future--really, who needs all those different brands that all perform about
the same?

Bob Williams

moonsotti wrote:
> General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
> manufacturers,
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07...ralimaging.asp
>
> They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
> sensitivity, and
> panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
>
> "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
> resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
> Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
> 3-inch LCD screens."
>
> In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
> "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
> successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
> who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
> APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
> Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

GE makes great Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers, A/Cs and Jet
engines.....BUT.....
Most of their electronics stuff is relegated to WalMart. KMart, Target
and stores of that ilk. They just rebadge cheapo stuff and try to sell
millions of units. I cannot think of any innovations that GE has made in
the consumer electronics field in the last 20 years.
It's not your grandfather's GE any more.
Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how long they last in this
innovation driven business.
Bob Williams

editor@netpath.net

On Feb 14, 12:35 pm, Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have >never once - in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer >electronics product that was satisfactory.

They have much more problems beyond that trying to enter the
digicam market now. Even with the best quality of all digicams,
they'd be competing with all the barely-used Canons and Sonys on eBay
and all the unredeemed pawned ones you can test right in the pawnshop
now at any given time - at very attractive prices far below what they
now sell new for.

J. Clarke

On 15 Feb 2007 03:00:22 -0800, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Feb 14, 12:35 pm, Scott Schuckert <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have >never once - in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer >electronics product that was satisfactory.

> They have much more problems beyond that trying to enter the
>digicam market now. Even with the best quality of all digicams,
>they'd be competing with all the barely-used Canons and Sonys on eBay
>and all the unredeemed pawned ones you can test right in the pawnshop
>now at any given time - at very attractive prices far below what they
>now sell new for.

By that reasoning nobody would be buying _any_ new digital cameras.

J. Clarke

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 22:45:20 -0800, Bob Williams
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>moonsotti wrote:
>> General Electric is a newcamer to the market of digital cameras
>> manufacturers,
>> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0702/07...ralimaging.asp
>>
>> They say: "... advanced features such as image stabilization, high ISO
>> sensitivity, and
>> panoramic stitching will be standard on ALL models.
>>
>> "Entry-level GE digital cameras will start with 7 megapixels of
>> resolution and 2.5-inch LCD screens.
>> Higher-end GE cameras will offer up to 12 megapixels of resolution and
>> 3-inch LCD screens."
>>
>> In other words, _more_of_the_same_. I.e., they are coming up with the
>> "me too" products. I am not sure that they will be commercially
>> successful. I think that manufacturer will be commercially successful
>> who comes up to the market with a principically new camera. Such as an
>> APS-C sized sensor in a compact P&S body. Such as Sigma DP1. But no.
>> Nooooo. So let'em burn. I have no sorrow for them.

>GE makes great Refrigerators, Washers, Dryers, A/Cs and Jet
>engines.....BUT.....
>Most of their electronics stuff is relegated to WalMart. KMart, Target
>and stores of that ilk. They just rebadge cheapo stuff and try to sell
>millions of units. I cannot think of any innovations that GE has made in
>the consumer electronics field in the last 20 years.
>It's not your grandfather's GE any more.
>Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see how long they last in this
>innovation driven business.

The thing that fascinates me is that based on one press release which
gives _no_ information about the product everyone here is sure they
know what GE is going to be producing.

EOS

On Feb 14, 12:49 pm, ASAAR <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:35:35 -0500, Scott Schuckert wrote:
> > I wonder if they're aware of their own reputation? I have never once -
> > in DECADES - had a GE brand consumer electronics product that was
> > satisfactory. They would have been better off with a new brand name,
> > but I'm sure they're just relabeling some Taiwan junk anyway.

> > Nice jet engines, though.

> I guess that you're not familiar with GE's inexpensive SuperRadio?
>
> http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r.../gesr_faq.html

Well they have pretty decent power plants too, like the one that
powers Tokyo...

Scott Schuckert

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The article that I provided the link to does not contain the word
> "severe" nor the word "quality". It does contain several dozen
> links to additional articles, and what you read is probably from one
> of those, but after checking a couple of them, including one on
> "repairs and modifications" I still didn't locate what you found.

Actually, it's on the same site, so I assumed the same author. Just
start with: "I just bought an SR III and it doesn't work!"

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze20h45/r..._tech.html#N8A

Besides, it's not where it's said but whether it's true.

Why so defensive? I'm pleased to hear GE offers something at this level
that's at least POTENTIALLY useful; if I were in the market I'd be more
than willing to go through a few samples of this $50 item to get a good
one. I've had to do that with some lenses, and they cost a lot more...

editor@netpath.net

On Feb 15, 7:51 am, J. Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> By that reasoning nobody would be buying _any_ new digital >cameras.

Why else do you think established camera firms are pulling out of
the digicam market already? It's because the market is saturated -
between ever-fewer potential customers for their first digicam left,
and having to compete with eBay for very low prices on barely used
ones people moved up from.