Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice requested

Reply
Thread Tools

Advice requested

 
 
Robert Sneddon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
I'm taking a long trip to Japan this summer and I'm looking to get a
P&S digital camera to take pictures with. I'm going to be indoors quite
a bit, in places where a flash might not be welcome. Landscapes,
scenery, people, museum exhibits, that sort of thing. Can anyone
recommend a suitable camera in the 400-450USD max range for me?

What I'd like:

AA cell power. I've already got a pile of NiMH cells and I can pick up
alkalines in extremis anywhere in Japan. Dedicated LiIon packs and
recharging points are more problematic.

8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better. Does anyone know if
higher-resolution compact cameras are likely to be on the market before
July 2007?

Good low-light capability. I understand that there are two types of
sensor, CCD and CMOS and that CCD works better with lower image noise at
higher ISO settings. Is that correct?

Good optical zoom -- 3x absolute minimum. 5x or better preferred (I
know that at extended zoom the F-stop value increases costing me some
low-light capability).

Some video capability, preferably at 640x480. Image stabilisation would
be nice, both for stills and video.

Small size -- I've got an older 3MP camera, a Fuji602Z, at the moment
but it's too bulky to carry around easily so it tends to get left at
home a lot (and then I miss the shot). Something that drops neatly into
a pocket is essential.

I'm not planning to print or edit these pictures, other than maybe
cropping and reframing snapshots.

Would it be worth me waiting and buying a camera when I get to Japan?
(Akihabara is on my planned itinerary...)
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
sally
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
Robert Sneddon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):
> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better. Does anyone know if
> higher-resolution compact cameras are likely to be on the market before
> July 2007?


Do P&S cameras really have 10MP now days? With their tiny sensors I would
think there would be a tremendous noise problem at that resolution.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
Robert Sneddon wrote:
[]
> What I'd like:

[]
> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.


Why do you insist on 8MP?

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Robert Sneddon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
In message <v5BAh.11857$(E-Mail Removed)> , David J
Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> writes
>Robert Sneddon wrote:
>[]
>> What I'd like:

>[]
>> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.

>
>Why do you insist on 8MP?


If I always have time to compose the shot and a bag full of spare
lenses with a DSLR then high pixel counts aren't truly essential. What
I'm wanting is a pocket camera that I can take the picture with
instantly and then crop out the area of interest afterwards at my
leisure if I don't have time to frame it perfectly. In that sort of
situation the more pixels the better.

Right now high-pixel-count cameras cost not much more than
lower-pixel-count units, from what I can see based on the same sorts of
functionality.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon
 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
Robert Sneddon wrote:
> In message <v5BAh.11857$(E-Mail Removed)> , David J
> Taylor <(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
> writes
>> Robert Sneddon wrote:
>> []
>>> What I'd like:

>> []
>>> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.

>>
>> Why do you insist on 8MP?

>
> If I always have time to compose the shot and a bag full of spare
> lenses with a DSLR then high pixel counts aren't truly essential. What
> I'm wanting is a pocket camera that I can take the picture with
> instantly and then crop out the area of interest afterwards at my
> leisure if I don't have time to frame it perfectly. In that sort of
> situation the more pixels the better.
>
> Right now high-pixel-count cameras cost not much more than
> lower-pixel-count units, from what I can see based on the same sorts
> of functionality.


But you should make yourself aware of the limitations that the high pixel
count imposes on the image quality - particularly if you crop. Optical
zoom or getting nearer to the action would be a much better solution. To
take full advantage of 8 or 10MP requires very good optics as well, and
such optics are not common on pocket cameras.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Marvin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
Robert Sneddon wrote:
> I'm taking a long trip to Japan this summer and I'm looking to get a
> P&S digital camera to take pictures with. I'm going to be indoors quite
> a bit, in places where a flash might not be welcome. Landscapes,
> scenery, people, museum exhibits, that sort of thing. Can anyone
> recommend a suitable camera in the 400-450USD max range for me?
>
> What I'd like:
>
> AA cell power. I've already got a pile of NiMH cells and I can pick up
> alkalines in extremis anywhere in Japan. Dedicated LiIon packs and
> recharging points are more problematic.
>
> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better. Does anyone know if
> higher-resolution compact cameras are likely to be on the market before
> July 2007?
>
> Good low-light capability. I understand that there are two types of
> sensor, CCD and CMOS and that CCD works better with lower image noise at
> higher ISO settings. Is that correct?
>
> Good optical zoom -- 3x absolute minimum. 5x or better preferred (I
> know that at extended zoom the F-stop value increases costing me some
> low-light capability).
>
> Some video capability, preferably at 640x480. Image stabilisation would
> be nice, both for stills and video.


Consider the Panasonic ine. My DMC-LZ3 can take videos up
to 640X480 and 30 fps, and the image stabilization is very
helpful for indoor shots where a flash isn't allowed or
won't work well. It has 6X zoom and 5 Mp. Why do you want 8
or more Mp? It is small, and I paid only $200 half a year ago.
>
> Small size -- I've got an older 3MP camera, a Fuji602Z, at the moment
> but it's too bulky to carry around easily so it tends to get left at
> home a lot (and then I miss the shot). Something that drops neatly into
> a pocket is essential.
>
> I'm not planning to print or edit these pictures, other than maybe
> cropping and reframing snapshots.
>
> Would it be worth me waiting and buying a camera when I get to Japan?
> (Akihabara is on my planned itinerary...)


Japanese prices are high, even for products of Japanese
companies.
 
Reply With Quote
 
ASAAR
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-14-2007
On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:00:59 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

>> 8 Mpixels plus. 10 would be better.

>
> Why do you insist on 8MP?


Because he thinks that 10mp would be better. <g>

That said, there's a little Fuji that meets most of the OP's
requirements and has the best low light capability this side of a
DSLR, but I won't mention it since it doesn't use AA batteries and
has a sensor with fewer than 8mp.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Guru Advice Requested... Skeets XML 3 02-19-2006 11:39 AM
Uninstalling Problems. Advice Requested, Please Robert11 Computer Support 1 06-11-2004 09:21 PM
Server Control Collection Properties Solutions,Problems MVP Advice Requested Brian ASP .Net 2 05-28-2004 02:26 PM
MP3 player advice requested - please read inside Chocolate Sauce Computer Support 8 07-05-2003 01:12 PM
MP3 player advice requested - please read inside Chocolate Sauce Computer Support 1 07-04-2003 11:15 AM



Advertisments