Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > remote flash cord for 20D?

remote flash cord for 20D?

peter

How do you connect a 3rd party TTL flash 6 feet away, to a canon EOS digital
camera?

Canon makes a TTL off camera shoe cord but is only 2 feet long.

They also have a hot shoe adapter 3, 60 inch cable, off camera shoe.
Unfortunately, the hot shoe adapter is NOT compatible with EOS digital
camera.

Dennis Pogson

peter wrote:
> How do you connect a 3rd party TTL flash 6 feet away, to a canon EOS
> digital camera?
>
> Canon makes a TTL off camera shoe cord but is only 2 feet long.
>
> They also have a hot shoe adapter 3, 60 inch cable, off camera shoe.
> Unfortunately, the hot shoe adapter is NOT compatible with EOS digital
> camera.

Use a remote flash activator. This has a hot shoe into which the flashgun is
clipped then mounted on a tripod. The flash on the camera will trigger the
remote flash. Not expensive.

Nervous Nick

On Feb 13, 12:37 pm, "Dennis Pogson"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> peter wrote:

> Use a remote flash activator. This has a hot shoe into which the flashgun is
> clipped then mounted on a tripod. The flash on the camera will trigger the
> remote flash. Not expensive.

There are plenty on eBay for less than twenty bucks. The only real
problem I've had is that when using them indoors, cigarette lighters
can actually trigger the flashes. "Course, cigarette smoking indoors
is a thing of the past in many places.

An example from eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/3x3hyg

HTH.

--
YOP...

peter

>> Use a remote flash activator. This has a hot shoe into which the flashgun
>> is
>> clipped then mounted on a tripod. The flash on the camera will trigger
>> the
>> remote flash. Not expensive.

> There are plenty on eBay for less than twenty bucks. The only real
> problem I've had is that when using them indoors, cigarette lighters
> can actually trigger the flashes. "Course, cigarette smoking indoors
> is a thing of the past in many places.
>
> An example from eBay:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/3x3hyg

Thanks, but I thought TTL flash requires more than 2 pins to support?

Mark B.

"Dennis Pogson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:IznAh.17837$(E-Mail Removed)...
> peter wrote:
>> How do you connect a 3rd party TTL flash 6 feet away, to a canon EOS
>> digital camera?
>>
>> Canon makes a TTL off camera shoe cord but is only 2 feet long.
>>
>> They also have a hot shoe adapter 3, 60 inch cable, off camera shoe.
>> Unfortunately, the hot shoe adapter is NOT compatible with EOS digital
>> camera.

> Use a remote flash activator. This has a hot shoe into which the flashgun
> is
> clipped then mounted on a tripod. The flash on the camera will trigger the
> remote flash. Not expensive.

I'm pretty sure you'll lose E-TTL with these. Another, although expensive
solution, is to get the Canon ST-E2 wireless trigger but at least you'll
retain E-TTL flash control.

Mark