Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice me pls (super zoom)..... Canon Powershot S3 IS or Panasonic DMC-FZ7

Advice me pls (super zoom)..... Canon Powershot S3 IS or Panasonic DMC-FZ7

dalimoh@gmail.com

By the way for those who are interested, Olympus SP-550 is available
in some countries already and here is a link for the latest review
pictures taken by the camera

http://www.pbase.com/scared_of_the_d..._image_quality

that page has a link for a full review of the camera by the same
reviewer

enjoy

dalimoh

John Ortt

I bought the S3 IS at christmas and so far I am very happy with it.

I purchased it for a year out to go travelling with my wife thanks to the
advice of other members of this group.

One of the greatest attractions for me is the chance to go on safari in
South Africa but a decent zoom camera/lens is an essential if you want
decent photographs of the animals.

Originally I was planning to take the Canon 300D SLR which I have had for
many years (and am very happy with) but I do not have a zoom lens beyond
85mm (approx 130mm on a cropped sensor) which is nowhere near sufficient.

I looked at a large number of lenses from 200 to 400mm but for one which I
would considder adequate it ranged in price from 300 to !!!!!!!

In addition the lenses were all 500g + (ignoring the 300D body) with most of
the high quality ones well over a Kilo.

Other concerns were the possibility of dust getting into the unsealed lenses
and concerns over being targetted by thieves who saw a big lens.

In comparison the S3 IS has a zoom range equivalent to a 22-270 mm lens on
the 300D, costs just over 200 and is less than 500g in total.

In addition it is nice and small, has a reversable screen for protection
when not in use and has standard AA batteries. All of which can be a
lifesaver when on the road.

Aside from all the spec the most important factor is the pictures......and
the good news is they are excellent.

They are not as good as the SLR but then I wouldn't expect them to be. They
are far better than any other compact camera I have ever used and the level
of manual control is excellent.

It also has a superb video mode which allows full use of the zoom. (And
hence saves us another item in our rucksacs.)

If I had to be fussy I would criticise the lack of inclusion of a RAW mode
but it is not the end of the world and the other features more than
compensate for it.

I hope this is of help to you and good shooting regardless of your choice.

John

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hello all,
>
> I want to buy a super zoom camera.
>
> I do not mind technicalities (i am doing my PhD in physics) and i like
> talking to experts to know their opinions (thats why i am posting this
> here). No matter what camera i chose I intend to read its manual and
> take experts adviced to get the best outcome of the camera. I am
> someone who intend to put serious effort in this.
>
> My decision budgetwise came down after reading hundreds of reviews to
> 3 cameras,
>
> Panasonic FZ7
> Canon S3 IS
> Panasonic FZ8 (coming out soon)
>
> Major differences i noticed between the models are
>
> FZ7
>
> is better for outdoors, has better IS system because it corrects for
> both camera shaking and object motion, its pics colors are over
> saturated, no use of AA batteries, poor large LCD screen
>
> S3 IS
>
> is better for indoors, its IS system corrects only for camera shake
> but not object motion, amazing video, its pics colors are natural,
> beautiful small LCD screen
>

> What do i want to do with the camera?
>

> I want to be able to take decent high quality clear pics outdoors for
> soccer actions, beaches, scenery and landcapes, birds, forest, and
> indoors with family and friends.
>
> I am not into using tripods, i like point and shoot style.
> I do not intend to print any picture.
>
> I am not into spending time editing pics or adding special effects
> using software either (graduate school takes most of my time already),
> do all digital photographers edit their photos?
>
> Can one buy additional special lens for either FZ7 or S3 to be able to
> take super macro pics for insects for example or not ?
>
> Which battery type is better, some say AA are better some say
> rechargable are better !
>

> I am unable to make up my mind which camera to chose, to me , both
> copensate each other, and I read hundreds of reviews , those who
> purchased S3 love it because of this and that, and those who purchased
> FZ7 love it because of this and that, and most of those people just
> taking picture by pressing buttons, they are not into spending time
> and effort in getting the best outcome of the camera, so i am unable
> to make up my mind according to their openions because their opinions
> are not authentic openions, i do not know even if I should wait for
> FZ8 to come out or not
>
> So now I want the experts openions, specially those who have tried
> both cameras S3 and FZ7
>
> sorry for my long post but you guys are my last resort
>
> thnx in advance

dalimoh@gmail.com

On Feb 21, 5:54 am, "John Ortt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I bought the S3 IS at christmas and so far I am very happy with it.
>
> I purchased it for a year out to go travelling with my wife thanks to the
> advice of other members of this group.

as far as superzooming is concerned you must have considered also
panasonic fz7 at that time as another super zoom camera , what made
you chose canon S3 IS over panasonic?

dalimoh

John Ortt

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> On Feb 21, 5:54 am, "John Ortt"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I bought the S3 IS at christmas and so far I am very happy with it.
>>
>> I purchased it for a year out to go travelling with my wife thanks to the
>> advice of other members of this group.

> as far as superzooming is concerned you must have considered also
> panasonic fz7 at that time as another super zoom camera , what made
> you chose canon S3 IS over panasonic?
>
> dalimoh

They both had their pros and cons.

The main reasons I went for the S3IS as stated is that I am taking it
travelling.

I think the swivel screen offers more protection incase the camera gets
banged about in the bag.
The use of AA bateries means that if I get caught out without any power I
can still get some batteries for the camera relatively easily.

I have also read reviews that the movie mode is better on the S3 and it
means we don't need to take a videocamera.

I have to admit I liked the weight and feel of the FZ7 better but all the
other issues swung it for me.

I think they are both great cameras and either would have been a good
choice.

dalimoh@gmail.com

On Feb 22, 4:43 am, "John Ortt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> The use of AA bateries means that if I get caught out without any power I
> can still get some batteries for the camera relatively easily.

can one use rechargable AA batteries?

dalimoh

JakeC

John Ortt wrote:

> They both had their pros and cons.

There's no perfect digital camera out there. It seems to me they are
still work-in-progress. Some people keep buying one digital camera after
another year after year. In the old day, I wonder if people did that
with film cameras.

IMO, the simplest thing to do is still to use a film camera. Last time I
heard, film cameras still give better results

dalimoh@gmail.com

On Feb 22, 9:18 pm, JakeC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> John Ortt wrote:
>
> > They both had their pros and cons.

> There's no perfect digital camera out there. It seems to me they are
> still work-in-progress. Some people keep buying one digital camera after
> another year after year. In the old day, I wonder if people did that
> with film cameras.
>
> IMO, the simplest thing to do is still to use a film camera. Last time I
> heard, film cameras still give better results

last time i heard, film camera is out of production lol

besides i is headach and time consuming to develop the film compared
to digital camera

dalimoh

JakeC

> last time i heard, film camera is out of production lol

Really? But they're still selling them. No?

> besides i is headach and time consuming to develop the film compared
> to digital camera

Convenience is the main reason I bought a digital camera.

dalimoh@gmail.com

On Feb 22, 10:39 pm, JakeC <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > last time i heard, film camera is out of production lol

> Really? But they're still selling them. No?

yeah they are still selling them , but they will dissapear eventually,
digital equipment is taking over

dalimoh

John Ortt

"JakeC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> John Ortt wrote:
>>

>> They both had their pros and cons.
>>

> There's no perfect digital camera out there. It seems to me they are still
> work-in-progress. Some people keep buying one digital camera after another
> year after year. In the old day, I wonder if people did that with film
> cameras.
>
> IMO, the simplest thing to do is still to use a film camera. Last time I
> heard, film cameras still give better results

I guarantee a film camera would not give better results in my capable hands