Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice me pls (super zoom)..... Canon Powershot S3 IS or Panasonic DMC-FZ7

Advice me pls (super zoom)..... Canon Powershot S3 IS or Panasonic DMC-FZ7

dalimoh@gmail.com

Hello all,

I want to buy a super zoom camera.

I do not mind technicalities (i am doing my PhD in physics) and i like
talking to experts to know their opinions (thats why i am posting this
here). No matter what camera i chose I intend to read its manual and
take experts adviced to get the best outcome of the camera. I am
someone who intend to put serious effort in this.

My decision budgetwise came down after reading hundreds of reviews to
3 cameras,

Panasonic FZ7
Canon S3 IS
Panasonic FZ8 (coming out soon)

Major differences i noticed between the models are

FZ7

is better for outdoors, has better IS system because it corrects for
both camera shaking and object motion, its pics colors are over
saturated, no use of AA batteries, poor large LCD screen

S3 IS

is better for indoors, its IS system corrects only for camera shake
but not object motion, amazing video, its pics colors are natural,
beautiful small LCD screen

What do i want to do with the camera?

I want to be able to take decent high quality clear pics outdoors for
soccer actions, beaches, scenery and landcapes, birds, forest, and
indoors with family and friends.

I am not into using tripods, i like point and shoot style.
I do not intend to print any picture.

I am not into spending time editing pics or adding special effects
using software either (graduate school takes most of my time already),
do all digital photographers edit their photos?

Can one buy additional special lens for either FZ7 or S3 to be able to
take super macro pics for insects for example or not ?

Which battery type is better, some say AA are better some say
rechargable are better !

I am unable to make up my mind which camera to chose, to me , both
copensate each other, and I read hundreds of reviews , those who
purchased S3 love it because of this and that, and those who purchased
FZ7 love it because of this and that, and most of those people just
taking picture by pressing buttons, they are not into spending time
and effort in getting the best outcome of the camera, so i am unable
to make up my mind according to their openions because their opinions
are not authentic openions, i do not know even if I should wait for
FZ8 to come out or not

So now I want the experts openions, specially those who have tried
both cameras S3 and FZ7

sorry for my long post but you guys are my last resort

thnx in advance

David J Taylor

[]
> So now I want the experts openions, specially those who have tried
> both cameras S3 and FZ7
>
> sorry for my long post but you guys are my last resort
>
> thnx in advance

Well, /you/ are the last resort, actually! I would suggest visiting your
local camera shop, try handling the various models and seeing which you
prefer. Then do the honest thing and buy the camera from the shop - not
off the Internet.

I've handled the Panasonic FZ5 extensively (I own one) and have been very
pleased with it. The image quality is superb, and the optics better than
on the Canon S2 IS (yes,, these are both the generation before). I don't
want the fuss and bother of AA batteries any more, but I agree that the
better video and swivel LCD finder on the Canon are plus points.

Like you, I don't carry a tripod and, also like you, I want images correct
first time out of the camera with no post-processing required. Properly
handled, both brands can achieve that.

Save some pennies and buy last-year's model rather than the latest, and
most expensive. They will probably have a more sensible number of pixels
(for the sensor size) as well!

Cheers,
David

babaloo

When you grow up you may want to advance your skills in photography.
I believe the Panasonics allow recording in raw format, which is a decided
advantage.
Otherwise a commodity is a commodity-some oranges taste better than others
but they are still oranges: these are all capable jpeg machines.

Daniel Silevitch

On 13 Feb 2007 09:22:33 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I want to buy a super zoom camera.
>
> I do not mind technicalities (i am doing my PhD in physics) and i like
> talking to experts to know their opinions (thats why i am posting this
> here). No matter what camera i chose I intend to read its manual and
> take experts adviced to get the best outcome of the camera. I am
> someone who intend to put serious effort in this.
>
> My decision budgetwise came down after reading hundreds of reviews to
> 3 cameras,
>
> Panasonic FZ7
> Canon S3 IS
> Panasonic FZ8 (coming out soon)

Find a store that stocks both the FZ7 and the S3IS (the FZ8 isn't out
yet), and see which one feels better to you. Which one sits more
naturally in your hand. Which one has more intuitive controls.

There isn't actually all that that much difference in image quality or
much else between the two; to draw the distinctions, the reviewers zoom
way in and look at a level of detail that isn't going to be apparent
unless you make big prints.

Then, if you decide that you like the Panasonic better, figure out
whether you need the camera now or whether waiting a month for the new
model is a reasonable option. The FZ8 has, if memory serves, a
higher-resolution electronic viewfinder and an extra megapixel on the
main sensor, but is otherwise about the same as the FZ7.

For whatever it's worth, when I was faced with the same decision ~2
years ago, I chose the FZ5 over the S2IS. But, your mileage will vary,
so try the models out for yourself.

-dms

ray

I'm certainly not an expert, but I'd certainly advise you to look through
the viewfinder on the cameras you are considering. I'd like to suggest you
also look through the viewfinder of a Kodak EVF. Most manufacturers build
EVF cameras with about 110k pixel resolution on the Electronic View Finder
- the Kodak models (I particularly like the P series) use 237k - it makes
quite a difference.

J. Clarke

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:33:14 -0800, "babaloo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When you grow up you may want to advance your skills in photography.
>I believe the Panasonics allow recording in raw format, which is a decided
>advantage.

FZ50 and others in that series do, FZ7 and others in that series do
not, at least not so far--I'd be surprised if the FZ8 did but I
haven't seen or read a complete review on one.

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 16:05:17 -0500, J Clarke <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:33:14 -0800, "babaloo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>When you grow up you may want to advance your skills in photography.
>>I believe the Panasonics allow recording in raw format, which is a decided
>>advantage.

> FZ50 and others in that series do, FZ7 and others in that series do
> not, at least not so far--I'd be surprised if the FZ8 did but I
> haven't seen or read a complete review on one.

The FZ8 does do RAW; that was one of the big upgrades between the 7 and
the 8. DPReview already has a full review up, and they talk about using
RAW mode to get around the heavy noise reduction.

-dms

J. Clarke

wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I want to buy a super zoom camera.
>
>I do not mind technicalities (i am doing my PhD in physics) and i like
>talking to experts to know their opinions (thats why i am posting this
>here). No matter what camera i chose I intend to read its manual and
>take experts adviced to get the best outcome of the camera. I am
>someone who intend to put serious effort in this.
>
>My decision budgetwise came down after reading hundreds of reviews to
>3 cameras,
>
>Panasonic FZ7
>Canon S3 IS
>Panasonic FZ8 (coming out soon)
>
>Major differences i noticed between the models are
>
>FZ7
>
>is better for outdoors, has better IS system because it corrects for
>both camera shaking and object motion,

???? No IS corrects for object motion. The one on the FZ7 certainly
doesn't.

>its pics colors are over
>saturated,

Many controls on the image, but no RAW. Don't assume because you see
oversaturated results that they _must_ be oversaturated.

> no use of AA batteries, poor large LCD screen

Nothing "poor" about it--it works fine.

>S3 IS
>
>is better for indoors, its IS system corrects only for camera shake
>but not object motion, amazing video, its pics colors are natural,
>beautiful small LCD screen

Don't have one--it may be better than the Panasonic but I'd be very
surprised.

>What do i want to do with the camera?
>

>I want to be able to take decent high quality clear pics outdoors for
>soccer actions,

Get an SLR. Period. For fast moving sports with unpredictable action
get an SLR.

>beaches, scenery and landcapes,

FZ is fine for these.

> birds,

Long lens on the FZ is good, but lag in the EVF can make birds hard to
track.

>forest,

Nothing really special about forest.

> and
>indoors with family and friends.

FZ is ok with good light for this.

>I am not into using tripods,

You're handicapping yourself.

> i like point and shoot style.
>I do not intend to print any picture.
>
>I am not into spending time editing pics or adding special effects
>using software either (graduate school takes most of my time already),
>do all digital photographers edit their photos?
>
>Can one buy additional special lens for either FZ7 or S3 to be able to
>take super macro pics for insects for example or not ?

FZ does fine for insects with the standard lens. Here are a few.

<http://www.flickr.com/photos/39383723@N00/sets/72157594534332267/>

Note that the long macro capability is very nice for this purpose.

>Which battery type is better, some say AA are better some say
>rechargable are better !

This is a religious issue for some people. It doesn't really matter
unless you have a special requirement.

>I am unable to make up my mind which camera to chose, to me , both
>copensate each other, and I read hundreds of reviews , those who
>purchased S3 love it because of this and that, and those who purchased
>FZ7 love it because of this and that, and most of those people just
>taking picture by pressing buttons, they are not into spending time
>and effort in getting the best outcome of the camera, so i am unable
>to make up my mind according to their openions because their opinions
>are not authentic openions, i do not know even if I should wait for
>FZ8 to come out or not
>
>So now I want the experts openions, specially those who have tried
>both cameras S3 and FZ7
>
>sorry for my long post but you guys are my last resort

I'd wait for the FZ8 myself--it does everything the FZ7 does and a few
things besides and has RAW mode, not that that's important to you
right now but it may be in the future, especially for low light.

>thnx in advance

Just D

>>I want to buy a super zoom camera.

Btw, why sir doesn't even consider Olympus with its promising 18X zoom in a
month or two?

Just D.

J. Clarke

wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 10:33:14 -0800, "babaloo" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>When you grow up you may want to advance your skills in photography.
>>I believe the Panasonics allow recording in raw format, which is a decided
>>advantage.

>FZ50 and others in that series do, FZ7 and others in that series do
>not, at least not so far--I'd be surprised if the FZ8 did but I
>haven't seen or read a complete review on one.

Should have checked dpreview before I wrote that--turns out that one
of the changes from the FZ7 to the FZ8 is the addition of RAW mode.