Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Coolpix (3200) - slowed down by large memory chips or not?

Nikon Coolpix (3200) - slowed down by large memory chips or not?

DeanB

I have a 256 MB SD card now in my Coolpix 3200, and its fast. On my
previous camera, however, when I upgraded (from 8MB to 64MB) it slowed
it down significantly, on start-up and on saving pictures. Will I see
the same thing on the Nikon?

Thanks!

Dean

DeanB

BTW I was considering upgrading to a 1GB or 2GB chip.

On Feb 13, 10:54 am, "DeanB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I have a 256 MB SD card now in my Coolpix 3200, and its fast. On my
> previous camera, however, when I upgraded (from 8MB to 64MB) it slowed
> it down significantly, on start-up and on saving pictures. Will I see
> the same thing on the Nikon?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dean

David J Taylor

DeanB wrote:
> I have a 256 MB SD card now in my Coolpix 3200, and its fast. On my
> previous camera, however, when I upgraded (from 8MB to 64MB) it slowed
> it down significantly, on start-up and on saving pictures. Will I see
> the same thing on the Nikon?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dean

On some older Nikons, I found that because they put all the pictures in a
single folder on the memory card that slowed them down. I think the 3200
is too new to have this problem. With my 5700 and 8400, you did get a
perceptible delay while the old directory was finalised and the new
directory was being created (once every 200 pics, IIRC), but not on the
other 198/199 pics.

David