Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anybody familiar with this RAW converter software

Anybody familiar with this RAW converter software

Denny B

http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/download/

Is anybody using Silkpix RAW conversion software (link above ) it
appears to be from Japan and I learned about it on the Nikonians website.
I have downloaded the free version last night, naturally the free
version is limited but appears as good as the free version of
Rawshooter which I also have. I understand you can also download
a trial of the full version.

Denny B

John Bean

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:10:03 GMT, Denny B <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>Is anybody using Silkpix RAW conversion software

I've been using it for some time. It's my raw converter of
choice. Feel free to ask questions

--
John Bean

Denny B

John Bean wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:10:03 GMT, Denny B <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> Is anybody using Silkpix RAW conversion software

> I've been using it for some time. It's my raw converter of
> choice. Feel free to ask questions

John, thank you for your reply. Are you using the
full version or the free version? Even though the
free version is limited and I have only used it once
with one RAW picture it just seems like it is a "nice"
program to use with very good results.

What I have not been able to figure out yet is how you
save your converted and tweaked file into a selected folder.

Thanks
Denny B

John Bean

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 02:24:36 GMT, Denny B <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
>John, thank you for your reply. Are you using the
>full version or the free version? Even though the
>free version is limited and I have only used it once
>with one RAW picture it just seems like it is a "nice"
>program to use with very good results.

I use the full version. I even recently paid to update to
the current version 3 (I originally bought version 2).
Silkypix produces the best colour with the least effort, for
me at least. The user interface is... different... from most
others but is surprisingly productive once you get over its
idiosyncrasies.

>What I have not been able to figure out yet is how you
>save your converted and tweaked file into a selected folder.

Oh that's easy, though maybe not entirely intuitive. Look in
the "Development" menu and choose "Setting for developed
image". Amongst other things this is where you'll find the
options for setting the destination folder.

I don't have the free version to compare but I know a lot of
options are either missing or disabled - the file type for
example. But I'm pretty certain the output folder settings
are the same in both versions.

--
John Bean

Denny B

John Bean wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 02:24:36 GMT, Denny B <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> John, thank you for your reply. Are you using the
>> full version or the free version? Even though the
>> free version is limited and I have only used it once
>> with one RAW picture it just seems like it is a "nice"
>> program to use with very good results.

> I use the full version. I even recently paid to update to
> the current version 3 (I originally bought version 2).
> Silkypix produces the best colour with the least effort, for
> me at least. The user interface is... different... from most
> others but is surprisingly productive once you get over its
> idiosyncrasies.
>
>> What I have not been able to figure out yet is how you
>> save your converted and tweaked file into a selected folder.

> Oh that's easy, though maybe not entirely intuitive. Look in
> the "Development" menu and choose "Setting for developed
> image". Amongst other things this is where you'll find the
> options for setting the destination folder.
>
> I don't have the free version to compare but I know a lot of
> options are either missing or disabled - the file type for
> example. But I'm pretty certain the output folder settings
> are the same in both versions.

John, thank you for your help regarding how to save. I have
now figured that out.
I do not have any further questions at this time simply because
I am not yet familiar with this program. I would appreciate if you
would volunteer any information you feel I should know about the
program.

I seem to like the program for its simplicity. I do not want software
that demands I spend more time processing RAW pictures then actually
taking pictures.

Thank you kindly,
Denny B.