Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Lenses for D80

Reply
Thread Tools

Lenses for D80

 
 
Bill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:45d0f670$0$15007$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>
> the 18-70 kit lens in terms of flare? I'm finding the kit lens quite
> annoyingly flare-prone


I've been using the 18-70 for months now and have never noticed any
flare worth mentioning unless a light source is directly hitting the
front element and entering the lightpath. Reviews I've seen of the 18-70
tend to say the same thing - it's not overly prone to flare like some
other lenses.

Do you use the hood? If not, that could be your problem - light hitting
the front element.

Do you use a UV or similar "protection" filter? If yes, the filter may
not be well coated and causing flare. Try it without the filter to
compare results.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
Bill wrote:
> "David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:45d0f670$0$15007$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>>
>> the 18-70 kit lens in terms of flare? I'm finding the kit lens quite
>> annoyingly flare-prone

>
> I've been using the 18-70 for months now and have never noticed any
> flare worth mentioning unless a light source is directly hitting the
> front element and entering the lightpath. Reviews I've seen of the 18-70
> tend to say the same thing - it's not overly prone to flare like some
> other lenses.
>
> Do you use the hood? If not, that could be your problem - light hitting
> the front element.


Yes, I always use the hood. And I'm not counting extreme situations
where flare is a high probability with *any* lens against it; just
unexpected ones. No serious light sources in the picture or anything.

> Do you use a UV or similar "protection" filter? If yes, the filter may
> not be well coated and causing flare. Try it without the filter to
> compare results.


No extra glass in the light path, either.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Dyer-Bennet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
>
>> Since you've owned both, would you happen to have an opinion on the
>> behavior of the 17-55 f/2.8 relative to the 18-70 kit lens in terms of
>> flare? I'm finding the kit lens quite annoyingly flare-prone, and am
>> considering replacing it with the 17-55. Besides, the kit lens is
>> annoyingly slow, and f/2.8 is at least a decent step in the right
>> direction.

>
> You really ought to try out a 17-35/2.8 instead of the 17-55. The17-55
> is a
> bit soft on the wide end. Ritz Camera usually stocks both. Take your
> camera and try both out and see which one you like. I know you will be
> very
> limited to what you can put the lenses through in-store, but it's better
> than nothing.


17-35 is less than a 2:1; I'm not at all sure it's worth carrying a zoom
that does that little. I've already got a 35mm f/2, and had a 17mm
f/3.5 (but sold it).
 
Reply With Quote
 
=?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-13-2007
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

>> You really ought to try out a 17-35/2.8 instead of the 17-55. The17-55 is
>> a
>> bit soft on the wide end. Ritz Camera usually stocks both. Take
>> your camera and try both out and see which one you like. I know you
>> will be very
>> limited to what you can put the lenses through in-store, but it's
>> better than nothing.

>
> 17-35 is less than a 2:1; I'm not at all sure it's worth carrying a
> zoom that does that little. I've already got a 35mm f/2, and had a
> 17mm f/3.5 (but sold it).


Yes, I felt the same way, but when I realized that the 17-35 performs better
than the 17-55 this was the right choice for me. I have both the 17-35 and
28-70 and I'll tell you I would never consider going to the 17-55. The
17-35's short zoom range really isn't a problem. Like I said, if you can
try both side-by-side you will definitely like the 17-35, I'm sure of it.







Rita

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
UK : Looking at Nikon D80 package with 2 lenses, would like information please! Matthew M \(UK\) Digital Photography 4 06-27-2007 11:42 AM
nikon d80 battery lenses mike Digital Photography 15 03-14-2007 06:20 AM
Canon 'L' Lenses V non 'L' Lenses Russell Digital Photography 5 04-30-2005 09:56 AM
Lenses for 20D. I have older ef lenses Robert Digital Photography 1 11-19-2004 12:42 AM
stabilizing lenses (what lenses to get w/10D) jonathan Digital Photography 4 10-06-2003 02:45 PM



Advertisments