Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Photography textbook

Photography textbook

frankpetermann@rogers.com

Can anyone recommend a good text for beginner photographers? Digital
emphasis preferred. I've acquired a digital SLR (Pentax K100D,) so I'm
looking for a course of exercises to help me hone skills and habits.

Figure this would be the place to start inasmuch the photography
section down at the library has been stripped clean and the local
bookstore's shelves are stocked with a preponderance of "digital
photography" books about computer programs and image manipulation.

Really just looking for a back-to-basics, "from the ground up" course
of study.

Thanks in advance,

F.

C J Campbell

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 07:09:23 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote
(in article <(E-Mail Removed). com>):

> Can anyone recommend a good text for beginner photographers? Digital
> emphasis preferred. I've acquired a digital SLR (Pentax K100D,) so I'm
> looking for a course of exercises to help me hone skills and habits.
>
> Figure this would be the place to start inasmuch the photography
> section down at the library has been stripped clean and the local
> bookstore's shelves are stocked with a preponderance of "digital
> photography" books about computer programs and image manipulation.
>
> Really just looking for a back-to-basics, "from the ground up" course
> of study.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> F.

Try "The Digital Photography Book" by Scott Kelby or "How to Photograph Your
Life" by Nick Kelsh. These take a cookbook approach to photography -- you
want a flower in focus but the background blurred? Kelby's book tells you how
to do it.

For a book which approaches photography as a series of concepts, I recommend
"Masterclass in Photography" by Michael and Julien Busselle. It does not say
much about the differences between digital or film photography, but instead
focuses on basic concepts such as composition, color, texture, etc. It is
also a very beautiful book -- one which will stimulate your creativity.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor