Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > STupid Question

STupid Question

TSKO

Okay, I am going to ask a potentially stupid question..

I have a Nikin d50 w/ PictureProject.

I know that is the basic of basics for what it does....and I am looking into
getting Capture NX...does that totally replace PIctureProject as you can
hook up the ole camera to the computer and transfer pictures into Capture
and do all your editing there? Or do they work in conjunction w/ each other
as far as you transfer into PIctureProject..and do editing (and whatever) in
Capture?

So much to learn....

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:05:56 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "TSKO"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a Nikin d50 w/ PictureProject.
>
>I know that is the basic of basics for what it does....and I am looking into
>getting Capture NX...does that totally replace PIctureProject as you can
>hook up the ole camera to the computer and transfer pictures into Capture
>and do all your editing there? Or do they work in conjunction w/ each other
>as far as you transfer into PIctureProject..and do editing (and whatever) in
>Capture?

First you do not need any software to simply transfer files from the D50 to
your PC, the D50 will connect as a removable drive. I've never used PP with
any of my 4 Nikon cameras, so I can't talk to it's organizer function and
NX's if it has one. If all you want is more control over the raw conversion
process, you can still get a free copy of RSE at:
http://www.pixmantec.com/products/ra...essentials.asp
which does support the D50. However RSE is simple a free raw conversion
program and can not crop or do other "editing" functions.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

C J Campbell

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 14:05:56 -0800, TSKO wrote
(in article <8rMzh.21476$(E-Mail Removed)>) :

> Okay, I am going to ask a potentially stupid question..
>
> I have a Nikin d50 w/ PictureProject.
>
> I know that is the basic of basics for what it does....and I am looking into
> getting Capture NX...does that totally replace PIctureProject as you can
> hook up the ole camera to the computer and transfer pictures into Capture
> and do all your editing there? Or do they work in conjunction w/ each other
> as far as you transfer into PIctureProject..and do editing (and whatever) in
> Capture?
>
> So much to learn....

In addition to what Ed pointed out, it is probably better to just buy a
memory card reader and attach it to your computer instead of using
the camera. Then you aren't running the batteries down on your camera.

Any software will read the camera or the memory card. Your computer just
thinks it is another disk drive. You can even use your camera like a USB
flash memory stick to transfer files to another computer.

Nikon Capture NX stands alone and does not need any other software, including
Picture Project. For a discussion of how Capture compares to other software
when processing NEF files, see

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2cya2d

The Nikonians offer considerable support for Nikon users such as yourself,
including a whole forum devoted to the D40 and 50. There are people here who
do not like the Nikonians,though, largely because they got tossed out for
being disruptive (meaning too critical of Nikon). But you can learn a lot
from these guys.

--
Waddling Eagle
World Famous Flight Instructor

stupid, STUPID question! rincewind HTML 25 05-08-2009 01:07 PM
stupid question...waiting for a stupid answer Brandon McCombs Java 4 08-28-2006 06:57 PM
stupid stupid stupid kpg MCSE 17 11-26-2004 02:59 PM
Stupid is as Stupid Does! Michael P Gabriel Digital Photography 3 06-26-2004 12:49 PM

Advertisments