Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Boston skyline

Boston skyline

Cynicor

I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get
skyline shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I
couldn't get my camera still. (I brought the Benbo tripod, which I'm
still new with.) Next time I'll have to bring something more sturdy.
This is with an 11-18 lens; I have a bunch of shots I'm going to stitch
into pano, but I'm not thrilled with them.

http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#128825724-L-LB

David J. Littleboy

"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get skyline
>shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I couldn't get
>my camera still.

Hehe. Boston's a pain. I was there last June and got rained out except for 2
days.

What brought you to Boston? (I grew up near Charles St. station and went to
college and grad school one stop away on the T.)

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Michael Meissner

Cynicor <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get skyline
> shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I couldn't get my
> camera still. (I brought the Benbo tripod, which I'm still new with.) Next time
> I'll have to bring something more sturdy. This is with an 11-18 lens; I have a
> bunch of shots I'm going to stitch into pano, but I'm not thrilled with them.
>
> http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#128825724-L-LB

Nice shot. I tend to prefer a little east, down by Microcenter or at the boat
docks, though parking can be a problem at the later. I saw the clouds as I was
doing the circuit (Hunts & Microcenter to check on new toys), but I was a
little late, and only had the monopod in the car, and not the tripod, and it
was dark enough I would have needed the tripod.

In terms of stablizing a tripod, adding weigth can help (assuming the tripod is
rated to the hold the camera and additional weight). While they sell weight
packs, often times the shoulder bag with the lens collection is heavy enough
that when drapped over a tripod can stabalize it.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Cynicor

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get skyline
>> shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I couldn't get
>> my camera still.

> Hehe. Boston's a pain. I was there last June and got rained out except for 2
> days.
>
> What brought you to Boston? (I grew up near Charles St. station and went to
> college and grad school one stop away on the T.)

I manage my son's hockey team and take him on trips all the time. So I
set aside at least one weekend to go somewhere with just my daughter. We
came up and went to the Bruins-Islanders game last night, and did some
other stuff. She waited in the room as I went down to the path behind
the hotel to take the pix.

Cynicor

Cynicor wrote:
> David J. Littleboy wrote:
>> "Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I was having problems with these shots today. The best place to get
>>> skyline shots at at the Hyatt Harborside, but it was so windy that I
>>> couldn't get my camera still.

>> Hehe. Boston's a pain. I was there last June and got rained out except
>> for 2 days.
>>
>> What brought you to Boston? (I grew up near Charles St. station and
>> went to college and grad school one stop away on the T.)

> I manage my son's hockey team and take him on trips all the time. So I
> set aside at least one weekend to go somewhere with just my daughter. We
> came up and went to the Bruins-Islanders game last night, and did some
> other stuff. She waited in the room as I went down to the path behind
> the hotel to take the pix.

Two more photos. They're both from the same angle, but the second one is
from eight stories up. It completely changes the color of the water,
blue to green.

http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#129039622
http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954360#129039722