Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Taking a trip with a Minolta A1 :)

Taking a trip with a Minolta A1 :)

lucky4fingers

It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
repair?
TIA.

Ockham's Razor

In article <Xns98D3DA0865A8FwheresTheFifthcom@69.28.173.184 >,
lucky4fingers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
> repair?
> TIA.

I'll have to get out my A1 and see if it even works after about 20 years.

It was the most SOLID camera I have ever owned and never let me down.

thanks for reminding me.

carrying a cross."
Sinclair Lewis

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, lucky4fingers exclaimed (11-Feb-07 12:56 PM):
> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
> repair?
> TIA.

There's a known problem with Sony CCDs, your description sounds very
much like the one plagueing a bunch of Sony camcorders & cameras. I
know. I have a camcorder with the problem.

A quick google on 'minolta ccd' brought this up as the first link, the
A1 is included:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...m_ccdalert.asp

Here's a page with a description of the problem with Sonys:
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...20&news_id=118

jmc

Woodsman

Definitely sounds like the CCD sensor. My A1 went this way one
morning on power up in late November which is when I found out that
the A1 has the Sony CCD issue. I had a 3 year fix or replace
extended warranty from a major camera store and was only 2 1/2 years
in, so I wasnt worried.

Off it went on December 5th under store warranty to Sony who still do
Minolta repair in Canada after Minolta closed shop. After 9 weeks the
repair order has a note from Sony "To be replaced with a Sony". But
Sony do not indicate when or what they will replace it with.

Good luck

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 15:32:50 +0930, jmc
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Suddenly, without warning, lucky4fingers exclaimed (11-Feb-07 12:56 PM):
>> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
>> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
>> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope or
>> repair?
>> TIA.

>There's a known problem with Sony CCDs, your description sounds very
>much like the one plagueing a bunch of Sony camcorders & cameras. I
>know. I have a camcorder with the problem.
>
>A quick google on 'minolta ccd' brought this up as the first link, the
>A1 is included:
>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05...m_ccdalert.asp
>
>Here's a page with a description of the problem with Sonys:
>http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/new...20&news_id=118
>
>jmc

-----------------------------
Wooodsman's Photo Galleries &
2007 Photo of The Day
http://woodsman.hubbs.ca

ray

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 05:52:12 -0500, Woodsman wrote:

> Definitely sounds like the CCD sensor. My A1 went this way one
> morning on power up in late November which is when I found out that
> the A1 has the Sony CCD issue. I had a 3 year fix or replace
> extended warranty from a major camera store and was only 2 1/2 years
> in, so I wasnt worried.
>
> Off it went on December 5th under store warranty to Sony who still do
> Minolta repair in Canada after Minolta closed shop. After 9 weeks the
> repair order has a note from Sony "To be replaced with a Sony". But
> Sony do not indicate when or what they will replace it with.

It was my understanding that Minolta did not 'close shop'. They were
bought out by Sony. Hence the 'replace with Sony' tag.

Doug Robbins

"Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net...
> In article <Xns98D3DA0865A8FwheresTheFifthcom@69.28.173.184 >,
> lucky4fingers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
>> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
>> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope
>> or
>> repair?
>> TIA.

> I'll have to get out my A1 and see if it even works after about 20 years.
>
> It was the most SOLID camera I have ever owned and never let me down.
>
> thanks for reminding me.
>
> --
> "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
> carrying a cross."
> Sinclair Lewis

Are you thinking of a Canon A1? Minolta A1's havent been around that long.

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Doug Robbins exclaimed (12-Feb-07 2:20 AM):
> "Ockham's Razor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)-sjc.supernews.net...
>> In article <Xns98D3DA0865A8FwheresTheFifthcom@69.28.173.184 >,
>> lucky4fingers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> It's like I'm back in the 60's again, however no drugs this time. The A1
>>> goes pychedelic on me - like the whole picture melted or washed away, or
>>> howizontal lines thru it. not all the time just some. Is there any hope
>>> or
>>> repair?
>>> TIA.

>> I'll have to get out my A1 and see if it even works after about 20 years.
>>
>> It was the most SOLID camera I have ever owned and never let me down.
>>
>> thanks for reminding me.
>>
>> --
>> "When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and
>> carrying a cross."
>> Sinclair Lewis

> Are you thinking of a Canon A1? Minolta A1's havent been around that long.

Nope. Minolta A1s are definitely on the list of affected cameras.

jmc

Minolta Maxxum 5D and Minolta "film lenses" compatibility Celcius Digital Photography 2 02-26-2006 01:54 PM
GET YOUR TRIP HENERY Firefox 0 11-26-2004 07:11 AM
GET YOUR FREE TRIP GET YOUR FREE TRIP Firefox 0 11-24-2004 07:24 AM
Taking Digicam on Airplane Trip Paige Miller Digital Photography 12 08-06-2004 10:05 PM
Difference in module_eval taking block vs. taking string (1.8 bug?) Jim Cain Ruby 1 07-18-2003 02:01 AM

Advertisments