Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > should i buy a pentax k10d?

should i buy a pentax k10d?

Paul Mitchum

dj_nme <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Paul Mitchum wrote:
> > http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >>I think i will buy it. It will be nice to use my old 50 mm 1.7 lens on
> >>it.

> > If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
> > might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
> > *can* use it.

> Press the "green" or AEL button and the camera will auto-expose in manual
> mode, setting the aperture and shutter speed as though it's in program (P)
> mode.

Well, not quite. At least, not on the *ist D series. You have to tell
the camera to let you use the aperture ring to set the aperture. After
that, you can do what you say above.

It might be different on the K10D.

Pete D

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:hzuzh.26032$(E-Mail Removed). net...
> Pete D wrote:
>> "Paul Mitchum" <(E-Mail Removed)0m> wrote in message
>> news:1htbl8n.12qqacs1hdd69sN%(E-Mail Removed)0m...

>>> If that older lens doesn't have an A setting on the aperture ring, you
>>> might have to change some settings on the camera to use it. But you
>>> *can* use it.

>> And the F1.7 is extremely sharp.

> Its also very old. i used it on my k1000. When went to Europe in 1982 I
> used my k1000 and a 50mm 1.7f lens. also used 64 and 100 iso slide film.
>
> you can view them here on my smugmug site.
> ALL of them were taken with a k1000 and 50mm lens
> http://tootal2.smugmug.com/gallery/1215642#56872965
>
> I think i will order the k10d kit tonight.

Have never had a K1000, as a features freak I went straight to the KM (still
use one occasionally) and I have had a K10D since the end of last Novemeber,
they are seriously good you will like it.

Oliver Costich

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>news:yxozh.6476$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
>> lenses.

>If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes better
>PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the Logo).

But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

Paul Mitchum

Oliver Costich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> >news:yxozh.6476$(E-Mail Removed) et...
> >
> >> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
> >> lenses.

> >If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
> >better PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the
> >Logo).

> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
having trouble with?

Oliver Costich

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:46:40 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)0m (Paul Mitchum)
wrote:

>Oliver Costich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ><(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> >news:yxozh.6476$(E-Mail Removed) et...

>> >If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
>> >better PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the
>> >Logo).

>> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
>> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

>I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
>having trouble with?

Most notably, Adobe Camera Raw, which worked fine with PEF files up
to, but not including, the K10D, although apparently (I just checked)
the latest version does support the K10D files.

I hadn't checked recently since I traded the K10D for a Nikon D80.

Paul Mitchum

Oliver Costich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:46:40 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)0m (Paul Mitchum)
> wrote:
>
> >Oliver Costich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
> >> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

> >I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
> >having trouble with?

> Most notably, Adobe Camera Raw, which worked fine with PEF files up
> to, but not including, the K10D, although apparently (I just checked)
> the latest version does support the K10D files.
>
> I hadn't checked recently since I traded the K10D for a Nikon D80.

So then it's unfair to say that 'most' RAW workflow software won't
process K10D files.

Cgiorgio

"Oliver Costich" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>><(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>news:yxozh.6476$(E-Mail Removed). net...
>>> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
>>> lenses.

>>If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
>>better
>>PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the Logo).
>>

> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

DNG is PS standard, and the GX10 comes now with Silverfast, which gives
excellent control (and the Samsung RAW converter).

tootal2@sbcglobal.net

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Im thinking of buying a pentax k10d. it works with all my old pentax
> lenses.

I ordered the k10d from bhphoto.com I hope it is a good camera.

I will post some test photos with it next week i hope.

Oliver Costich

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 13:23:53 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)0m (Paul Mitchum)
wrote:

>Oliver Costich <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:46:40 -0800, (E-Mail Removed)0m (Paul Mitchum)
>> wrote:

>> >I've never had a problem processing PEF files. What software are you
>> >having trouble with?

>> Most notably, Adobe Camera Raw, which worked fine with PEF files up
>> to, but not including, the K10D, although apparently (I just checked)
>> the latest version does support the K10D files.
>>
>> I hadn't checked recently since I traded the K10D for a Nikon D80.

>So then it's unfair to say that 'most' RAW workflow software won't
>process K10D files.

Having rechecked, ACR support is not in the current version but in
the next version, to be released later this month. Silkypix and Bibble
supports it, but just recently. Last time I checked most of the
others, like Rawshooter, DxO, SharpRAW, ACDSee and Picasa do not.
Adobe Lightroom and Apple Aperture do not.

At this point most raw processing software does not properly read K10D
files. It's a good bet that all will eventually.

Oliver Costich

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 22:35:32 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Oliver Costich" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:09:46 +0100, "Cgiorgio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>><(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>>news:yxozh.6476$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
>>>
>>>If you find the Samsung GX10 at the same or better price: It includes
>>>better
>>>PC software (not sure about firmware differences except for the Logo).
>>>

>> But doesn't do Pentax RAW files. Only DNG. Most RAW workflow software
>> won't process K10D (or Samsung) RAW properly.

>DNG is PS standard, and the GX10 comes now with Silverfast, which gives
>excellent control (and the Samsung RAW converter).

TRy the White Balance settings on DNG files from the K10D and tell me
it is correctly reading them. Not all DNG diles are created equal. The
RAW software has to be able to read the info from the file and K10D
DNGs are different than others.