Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Using 2 GB cards with Nikon D50

Using 2 GB cards with Nikon D50

Just D

"Rudy Benner"

> Look for Swissknife.
> http://www.compuapps.com/download/Sw...swissknife.htm

The app is good but it didn't let me select the file system. Sorry.

Just D.

Joan

The problem with having a lot of cards is you need to be very
organised or you forget which ones are full and have to check each
time you put one in the camera while out and about taking photos.

--
Joan

"Adrian Boliston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: "nigelamond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: > Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of
a lot of
: > photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my
photos
: > survive.
:
: That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to
switch cards
: all the time which would be a real pain.
:
: cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk
:
:

Ron Hunter

Adrian Boliston wrote:
> "nigelamond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
>> photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos
>> survive.

> That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to switch cards
> all the time which would be a real pain.
>
> cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Given the number of times I have had to rewind, unload, and reload film
after only 24 to 36 pictures over the years, I could easily live with
replacing a card every 100 pictures. Grin.

Ron Hunter

Joan wrote:
> The problem with having a lot of cards is you need to be very
> organised or you forget which ones are full and have to check each
> time you put one in the camera while out and about taking photos.

I don't see myself as particularly well-organized, but even I can keep
track of which card is full. If you use SD cards, you can use the write
tab as an indicator when you remove it from the camera, just set it to
write-protect. When I used to use small capacity cards, I just moved
them from the 'blank' side of my card wallet, to the 'full' side.
Anyone who can't manage this probably doesn't have what it takes to make
good pictures, namely a brain.

Joan

I don't use a card wallet for my SD cards, I just use different
pockets in my camera bag for full and empty cards. I am organised,
but I far prefer to have 2GB cards and get about 250 to 300 photos on
a card before I need to change it.

--
Joan

"Ron Hunter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
:
: I don't see myself as particularly well-organized, but even I can
keep
: track of which card is full. If you use SD cards, you can use the
write
: tab as an indicator when you remove it from the camera, just set it
: write-protect. When I used to use small capacity cards, I just
moved
: them from the 'blank' side of my card wallet, to the 'full' side.
: Anyone who can't manage this probably doesn't have what it takes to
make
: good pictures, namely a brain.

nigelamond

"Adrian Boliston" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "nigelamond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>> Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot
>> of photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos
>> survive.

> That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to switch
> cards all the time which would be a real pain.
>
> cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

"100 shots" sounds about right for me. On a two week travel I might take
600 photos, thats only 6 cards. I also can hide them around my car and
various pockets so that being robbed is'nt such a disaster. Maybe I'm
getting old but I remember having to carry a bag full of film and having to
change every 36 shots

Bill Funk

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 17:09:36 -0500, "Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2 GB.
>I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

I have a friend with a D60 (more than 3 years old; Feb. 02) and it
works with 4GB cards.

--
Rudy Giuliani began seeking
the GOP presidential nomination

Bill Funk

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:14:41 -0000, "nigelamond"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rudy Benner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "joefoto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
>>> Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
>>> GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
>>> so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
>>> card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
>>> help. Joe
>>>

>> Just checked, yes, I do have a 2 gig card in mine. No problems.
>>

>Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
>photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos survive.

I've been using CF cards for a while, and none have malfunctioned yet.
SM, on the other hand...
(Sd has also been very reliable for me.)

--
Rudy Giuliani began seeking
the GOP presidential nomination
on Tuesday. He's pro-choice,
pro-gay marriage, pro-gun control
and he did a skit in drag that
is on the Internet. If Osama
bin Laden hadn't attacked him
Pat Robertson would have.

joefoto

Thanks to all of you who provided appropriate responses to my
question. I particularly want to thank Doug and Ed, who gave very
specific answers/pointers to answer a very specific question. But,
again, thanks to all of you. I consider this issue resolved.

Joe

Just D

"Bill Funk"
>>So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2
>>GB.
>>I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

> I have a friend with a D60 (more than 3 years old; Feb. 02) and it
> works with 4GB cards.

Just wondering if he upgraded the firmware or this is the original one? And
what's the format of this SDHC card FAT16 or FAT32?

Just D.