Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Using 2 GB cards with Nikon D50

Using 2 GB cards with Nikon D50

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 12:13:17 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Ed Ruf (REPLY to
E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On 10 Feb 2007 08:07:21 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "joefoto"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
>>GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
>>so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
>>card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images.

>http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7905

and

http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Just D

Good link, interesting quote: "FAT16: limits the cameras maximum capacity to
2GB (if a memory card with a capacity larger than 2GB were to be formatted
as FAT16 only 2GB will be available for use)"

"Ed Ruf
> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

Rudy Benner

"Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4Rpzh.8040$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good link, interesting quote: "FAT16: limits the cameras maximum capacity
> to 2GB (if a memory card with a capacity larger than 2GB were to be
> formatted as FAT16 only 2GB will be available for use)"
>
> "Ed Ruf
>> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

I wonder what would happen if one were to format a 4 gig card to FAT32 using
something like SwissKnife.

Just D

"Rudy Benner"
>> Good link, interesting quote: "FAT16: limits the cameras maximum capacity
>> to 2GB (if a memory card with a capacity larger than 2GB were to be
>> formatted as FAT16 only 2GB will be available for use)"
>>> http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...i=&p_topview=1

> I wonder what would happen if one were to format a 4 gig card to FAT32
> using something like SwissKnife.

In most cases the info on the Nikon site is obsolete, for example they
TESTED and RECOMMEND to use 16, 32,... 256 etc cards with Coolpix 5200. Very
helpful info, I sent them my own emotion about this recommendation. So I
guess that if I format a 4 GB card with FAT16 it should work, but how
efficiently - I need to test my daughter's 5200 to say for sure. From
another side formatting with FAT32 will not let this device use this card at
all since it doesn't support FAT32.

I need to test it out, probably I could write about 2 gig to this card to
simplify the process and let the camera take care of the rest of the
available space and tell me how usable is that. Otherwise to make several
hundred images just to get the size over 2 GB is too much for this simple
test

Just D.

Neil Harrington

"Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:aUqzh.8045$(E-Mail Removed)...

> In most cases the info on the Nikon site is obsolete, for example they
> TESTED and RECOMMEND to use 16, 32,... 256 etc cards with Coolpix 5200.
> Very helpful info, I sent them my own emotion about this recommendation.

It was probably helpful enough when that camera was introduced, three years
ago. Flash memory cards have gotten vast increases in capacity in those
three years. It's not at all unusual for those recommendations to be
outdated by the time they get published.

> So I guess that if I format a 4 GB card with FAT16 it should work, but how
> efficiently - I need to test my daughter's 5200 to say for sure. From
> another side formatting with FAT32 will not let this device use this card
> at all since it doesn't support FAT32.

So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2 GB.
I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

Just D

"Neil Harrington"
> So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2
> GB. I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

Latest Windows support up to 4 GB with FAT16, but I tried and found that it
doesn't allow to format this 4 GB card using my SDHC reader with FAT16, I
see only FAT32 in the DD list. I see now why several people were searching
for the application able to format these 4 GB SDHC cards with FAT16. A quick
test shows that 5200 doesn't eat this card and wants it to be replaced, even
didn't try to reformat it with FAT16. So really to make this test complete I
need to find the app able to format this card with FAT16 and try again. I
saw one day on the Internet that this app exists but didn't DL it, I see not
that I should.

Just D.

milou

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 13:06:02 -0700, ray <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 16:39:52 +0000, milou wrote:
>
>> On 10 Feb 2007 08:07:21 -0800, "joefoto" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>Is anyone using 2 GB cards with a D50? The manual states a max of 1
>>>GB. Nikon Tech Support says, effectively,"DUH?"--they haven't tested
>>>so they can't comment. I'm wanting to use a SanDisk Ultra II 2 GB
>>>card to improve speed and allow for more Raw images. Thanks for any
>>>help. Joe

>> You are allowed to check the compatibility on the SanDisk website

>Pardon me for sticking my nose into something I know very little about,
>but would there possibly be a firmware version issue to worry about?

If this was the case -which there no evidence to it- the owner is
allowed to upgrade the firmware via the manufacturer's website.

Adrian Boliston

"nigelamond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Don't you worry that a malfunction in your card means the loss of a lot of
> photos? I still use 512mb cards so that at least some of my photos
> survive.

That would hold less than 100 shots! I would end up having to switch cards
all the time which would be a real pain.

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Rudy Benner

"Just D" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:v9szh.8050$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Neil Harrington"
>> So why even try? Without FAT32 you *know* it won't recognize more than 2
>> GB. I don't know of any cameras that did have FAT32 three years ago.

> Latest Windows support up to 4 GB with FAT16, but I tried and found that
> it doesn't allow to format this 4 GB card using my SDHC reader with FAT16,
> I see only FAT32 in the DD list. I see now why several people were
> searching for the application able to format these 4 GB SDHC cards with
> FAT16. A quick test shows that 5200 doesn't eat this card and wants it to
> be replaced, even didn't try to reformat it with FAT16. So really to make
> this test complete I need to find the app able to format this card with
> FAT16 and try again. I saw one day on the Internet that this app exists
> but didn't DL it, I see not that I should.
>
> Just D.

Look for Swissknife.

http://www.compuapps.com/download/Sw...swissknife.htm

I think it works with flash cards, but I have nothing over 2 gig to test it
on.
Perhaps someone has a 4 gig card to test this theory.

I do know that I can format a 60 gig hard drive to FAT or FAT 32 or NTFS.

The price is good.

Bob Willard

Just D wrote:
> "Rudy Benner"
>
>>>Good link, interesting quote: "FAT16: limits the cameras maximum capacity
>>>to 2GB (if a memory card with a capacity larger than 2GB were to be
>>>formatted as FAT16 only 2GB will be available for use)"

>>I wonder what would happen if one were to format a 4 gig card to FAT32
>>using something like SwissKnife.

> In most cases the info on the Nikon site is obsolete, for example they
> TESTED and RECOMMEND to use 16, 32,... 256 etc cards with Coolpix 5200. Very
> helpful info, I sent them my own emotion about this recommendation. So I
> guess that if I format a 4 GB card with FAT16 it should work, but how
> efficiently - I need to test my daughter's 5200 to say for sure. From
> another side formatting with FAT32 will not let this device use this card at
> all since it doesn't support FAT32.
>
> I need to test it out, probably I could write about 2 gig to this card to
> simplify the process and let the camera take care of the rest of the
> available space and tell me how usable is that. Otherwise to make several
> hundred images just to get the size over 2 GB is too much for this simple
> test
>
> Just D.

Try formatting a 4GB card with FAT16 if you wish. I suspect you will get a
usable 2GB part, and 2GB wasted -- if the camera is willing at all to format
that 4GB card. Let us know what you learn.
--
Cheers, Bob