Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Does Costco, Walmart, etc. reduce image resolution when printing?

Does Costco, Walmart, etc. reduce image resolution when printing?

m II

Paul D. Sullivan wrote:

> I'm wondering if places like Costco, Walmart, Fred Meyer, etc.
> reduce the size of image files sent to them so that they do not
> take up more than a specified amount of disk space on their
> systems.

I was in a Wal Mart today to get a roll of film processed. The last one
I had done there was very badly handled, as all the prints came out very
dark. The kid behind the counter said that he was again having problems
with the printer and mentioned there was another quick film place a few
blocks away, but that their Lab wasn't as 'cool' as the one at Wal Mart.

That told me everything I needed to know about their professionalism and
expertise.

mike

m II

MarkČ wrote:

> So...if you're seeing this "somewhat softer" difference...that would not be
> unusual at all. You can fit more than two 5x7s into the area of an
> 8x10...so it is significant.

Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum Physics?

mike

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Feb 11, 3:24 pm, m II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
> > So...if you're seeing this "somewhat softer" difference...that would not be
> > unusual at all. You can fit more than two 5x7s into the area of an
> > 8x10...so it is significant.

> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum Physics?
>
> mike

Huh? So you *don't* think you can get two 5x7's out of a 10x8 and
have some left over white space? You can, it requires no quantating,
and that fits *my* definition of 'more than two 5x7s'...

If he had said 'more than twice the area', would you have been
happier? (O;

MarkČ

m II wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
>
>> So...if you're seeing this "somewhat softer" difference...that would
>> not be unusual at all. You can fit more than two 5x7s into the area
>> of an 8x10...so it is significant.

> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum Physics?
>

> mike

Uh... Mike????

5 inches + 5 inches = 10 inches.
Place to 5x7s next to each other in portrait mode, and you've got a 10x7
inch area...leaving you an extra 1x10 inch of unused area left over,
compared with an 8x10 image.

Doh!

www.pbase.com/markuson

m II

> On Feb 11, 3:24 pm, m II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> MarkČ wrote:
>>> So...if you're seeing this "somewhat softer" difference...that would not be
>>> unusual at all. You can fit more than two 5x7s into the area of an
>>> 8x10...so it is significant.

>> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum Physics?
>>
>> mike

> Huh? So you *don't* think you can get two 5x7's out of a 10x8 and
> have some left over white space? You can, it requires no quantating,
> and that fits *my* definition of 'more than two 5x7s'...
>
> If he had said 'more than twice the area', would you have been
> happier? (O;

I thought you were speaking of integers and THREE complete 5 X 7 prints
certainly won't fit. Two full prints and a fraction of one would most
certainly fill the paper.

A mention of the comparative areas would certainly have helped allay my
confusion in the matter.

(O; ???

I must be particularly dense tonight...

I couldn't find it here:
http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~wgm/smiley.html

mike

MarkČ

m II wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum
>>> Physics? mike

>> Huh? So you *don't* think you can get two 5x7's out of a 10x8 and
>> have some left over white space? You can, it requires no quantating,
>> and that fits *my* definition of 'more than two 5x7s'...
>>
>> If he had said 'more than twice the area', would you have been
>> happier? (O;

> I thought you were speaking of integers and THREE complete 5 X 7
> prints certainly won't fit. Two full prints and a fraction of one
> would most certainly fill the paper.
>
> A mention of the comparative areas would certainly have helped allay
> my confusion in the matter.

Ah. I see why you thought that.
When I said "you can fit more than two 5x7s" I meant a "little more
than"...but you thought I meant "more" =3 or more.

OK. You're forgiven.

www.pbase.com/markuson

m II

MarkČ wrote:
> m II wrote:
>> MarkČ wrote:
>>
>>> So...if you're seeing this "somewhat softer" difference...that would
>>> not be unusual at all. You can fit more than two 5x7s into the area
>>> of an 8x10...so it is significant.

>> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum Physics?
>>

>> mike

> Uh... Mike????
>
> 5 inches + 5 inches = 10 inches.
> Place to 5x7s next to each other in portrait mode, and you've got a 10x7
> inch area...leaving you an extra 1x10 inch of unused area left over,
> compared with an 8x10 image.
>
> Doh!

Of course, but that isn't how my brain was working (or not) . If I say I
can't put more than two silver dollars in a very small bowl, I think in
Silver dollars, not two silver coins and small change.

Another example would be saying I can get more than two 5 X 7 foot cars
in a 10 X 8 foot space, If we are talking cars, it couldn't work. If we
think two cars and some parts, then ok...

Sorry for any confusion I've caused myself.

mike

MarkČ

m II wrote:
> MarkČ wrote:
>> m II wrote:

>>> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum
>>> Physics? mike

>> Uh... Mike????
>>
>> 5 inches + 5 inches = 10 inches.
>> Place to 5x7s next to each other in portrait mode, and you've got a
>> 10x7 inch area...leaving you an extra 1x10 inch of unused area left
>> over, compared with an 8x10 image.
>>
>> Doh!

> Of course, but that isn't how my brain was working (or not) . If I
> say I can't put more than two silver dollars in a very small bowl, I
> think in Silver dollars, not two silver coins and small change.
>
> Another example would be saying I can get more than two 5 X 7 foot
> cars in a 10 X 8 foot space, If we are talking cars, it couldn't
> work. If we think two cars and some parts, then ok...
>
> Sorry for any confusion I've caused myself.

You're off the hook... See my other post.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Bill Funk

On 10 Feb 2007 21:44:47 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Feb 11, 3:24 pm, m II <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> MarkČ wrote:
>> > So...if you're seeing this "somewhat softer" difference...that would not be
>> > unusual at all. You can fit more than two 5x7s into the area of an
>> > 8x10...so it is significant.

>> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum Physics?
>>
>> mike

>Huh? So you *don't* think you can get two 5x7's out of a 10x8 and
>have some left over white space? You can, it requires no quantating,
>and that fits *my* definition of 'more than two 5x7s'...

"more than 2 5x7s" means at least three 5x7s.
There is, though, more than enough room for two 5x7s.

>If he had said 'more than twice the area', would you have been
>happier? (O;

That would have worked, too.

--
Rudy Giuliani began seeking
the GOP presidential nomination

MarkČ

Bill Funk wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2007 21:44:47 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>>> Please tell me how this is done. Anything to do with Quantum
>>> Physics?
>>>
>>> mike

>> Huh? So you *don't* think you can get two 5x7's out of a 10x8 and
>> have some left over white space? You can, it requires no quantating,
>> and that fits *my* definition of 'more than two 5x7s'...

> "more than 2 5x7s" means at least three 5x7s.
> There is, though, more than enough room for two 5x7s.
>>
>> If he had said 'more than twice the area', would you have been
>> happier? (O;

> That would have worked, too.

Ya... I see why he was confused by my comment.
I meant more than twice the area, of course.

www.pbase.com/markuson