Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Deleting pictures on an SD card

Deleting pictures on an SD card

ray

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:16:15 +1300, Colin_D wrote:

> ray wrote:
>> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:53:27 +0000, Kiran wrote:
>>
>>> I wish to delete the pictures on my digital camera's SD card, which is
>>> almost full. Is it best to do it withe camera controls or computer
>>> controls? Thank you.

>> Your chances of success are maximized by doing a 'format' in the camera.
>>

> No, a format in-camera does *not* remove the images from the card. It
> simply rewrites the File Allocation Table (FAT) which records which
> sectors contain which image - a sort of index. Replacing the FAT
> destroys the index, but *does not* destroy the data. Since the new
> table is blank, it will assign sectors to an image as if the card was
> empty, but in fact it is overwriting old images.
>
> Colin D.

Exactly. I clears out the FAT and starts fresh - just as though it were
freshly formatted, though leaving data there. I believe this might be what
MS refers to as a 'quick format'. All the cases of mangled pictures I've
heard of have resulted from deleting pictures then taking more, then
deleting, etc. If you do a fresh 'format' in the camera it tidies things
up so that won't happen.

Ron Hunter

Kiran wrote:
> I wish to delete the pictures on my digital camera's SD card, which is
> almost full. Is it best to do it withe camera controls or computer
> controls? Thank you.

If you wish to delete all the pictures, I suggest you make use of the
camera's 'format' feature. This does the job quickly, and cleanly.
Doing the deletion on a computer seems to give some users of some
cameras a bad time. I often delete from the computer, with no problems
on my Kodak cameras. Formatting on the computer is more likely to cause
problems than just deleting files.

Colin_D

Just D wrote:
> "Colin_D"
>> FAT16 is limited by its design to a maximum of 2 gigabytes. You cannot
>> format 4 and 8 gigabyte cards with FAT16, and any camera that can use
>> those cards will use FAT32.

> First, I didn't write about 8GB cards, only about 4 GB cards.

Quote from your earlier post:
"That's why I asked here before
if anybody has any trouble formatting SDHC cards, particularly 4 and 8 GB
SDHC with D80."
where you mention 8GB cards.

> Second:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118335
>
> but this as well:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310561
>
> MORE INFORMATION
> Windows XP supports the creation of primary partitions and logical drives of
> up to 4 gigabytes (GB) using the FAT16 file system. The maximum cluster size
> is 64K.
>
> The 4-GB partition limit is imposed by the maximum number of clusters and
> the largest cluster size supported by the FAT file system. In Windows XP,
> FAT16 is limited to 64K clusters. Multiply the maximum number of clusters
> (64k) by the maximum cluster size (64K), and the result is 4GB. In addition
> to Windows XP, Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 also
> support FAT16 volumes up to 4GB in size.

Prior versions of Windows supports only 2 GB, so to be safe one should,
for the sake of compatibility only format to 2GB. There's no guarantee
that because Win NT and later supports 4GB that cameras will do the same.

> FAT16 volumes larger than 2GB are not accessible from computers running
> Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), Windows 98, Windows 95, or
> MS-DOS. The size limit for FAT16 volumes in these operating systems is 2 GB.
> In other words, to maintain compatibility with Windows Me, Windows 98,
> Windows 95, or MS-DOS, a volume cannot be larger than 2 GB. For additional
> information about FAT16 drive and partition size limits in Windows Me,
> Windows 98, Windows 95, and MS-DOS, click the article numbers below to view
> the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
> 118335 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118335/) Maximum partition size
> using FAT16 file system

Colin_D

Ron Hunter wrote:
> Kiran wrote:
>> I wish to delete the pictures on my digital camera's SD card, which is
>> almost full. Is it best to do it withe camera controls or computer
>> controls? Thank you.

> If you wish to delete all the pictures, I suggest you make use of the
> camera's 'format' feature. This does the job quickly, and cleanly.
> Doing the deletion on a computer seems to give some users of some
> cameras a bad time. I often delete from the computer, with no problems
> on my Kodak cameras. Formatting on the computer is more likely to cause
> problems than just deleting files.

Ron, read my post immediately before yours.

Formatting in camera does NOT erase or delete the images; it only
rewrites the FAT table. The images remain. Computer formatting, as you
say, is somewhat unreliable, but if one does a standard FAT16 or FAT32
full format it should be ok.

Colin D.

J. Clarke

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 15:57:29 +1300, Colin_D <nospam@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Kiran wrote:
>>> I wish to delete the pictures on my digital camera's SD card, which is
>>> almost full. Is it best to do it withe camera controls or computer
>>> controls? Thank you.

>> If you wish to delete all the pictures, I suggest you make use of the
>> camera's 'format' feature. This does the job quickly, and cleanly.
>> Doing the deletion on a computer seems to give some users of some
>> cameras a bad time. I often delete from the computer, with no problems
>> on my Kodak cameras. Formatting on the computer is more likely to cause
>> problems than just deleting files.

>Ron, read my post immediately before yours.
>
>Formatting in camera does NOT erase or delete the images; it only
>rewrites the FAT table. The images remain. Computer formatting, as you
>say, is somewhat unreliable, but if one does a standard FAT16 or FAT32
>full format it should be ok.

From context it appears that what he wants to do is free space on the
card to store a new set of images, not perform a secure wipe. For
that purpose formatting works fine.

Note that the "delete" command in most operating systems does not
delete files by your definition.

While it's worthwhile mentioning the security aspects on the odd
chance that the OP really does want a secure wipe and not simply file
deletion of the kind performed by, say, Windows, harping on it is a
bit excessive.

Just D

"Colin_D"
> Quote from your earlier post:
> "That's why I asked here before
> if anybody has any trouble formatting SDHC cards, particularly 4 and 8 GB
> SDHC with D80."
> where you mention 8GB cards.

True, but when I wrote about reformatting and deletion I wrote about 4 GB
cards and possible troubles. Let's read a little bit higher from the same
message:

"Also it should be noticed that some SDHC 4 GB cards are probably still
having FAT16 which is supported by the older devices even if they can't work
with real SDHC formatted with FAT32. Reformatting will create a new FAT32
structure especially if it's done with the computer (where it's optional and
can be selected by the user, at list it works with al other media types) and
the owner will simply lose his card for these older devices if he can't
reformat it back with FAT16. I saw several complaints on the Internet when
the user lost their cards after reformatting."

I asked about 8 GB card just in case if it has some or any issued to be
formatted in the camera, not because of the file system, but if I was
understood this way, then it's probably I should separate two different
issues. You wrote that: "FAT16 is limited by its design to a maximum of 2
gigabytes. You cannot format 4 and 8 gigabyte cards with FAT16, and any
camera that can use those cards will use FAT32." Well, both wrote good.

> Prior versions of Windows supports only 2 GB, so to be safe one should,
> for the sake of compatibility only format to 2GB. There's no guarantee
> that because Win NT and later supports 4GB that cameras will do the same.

I know only two really poor people still using Windows 98 because their
hardware can't work with higher versions. So these old versions of the OS
should more likely exclude digital cameras because that's another user
level, non-discussible. Almost all people around are using at least XP which
is able to format you your 4 GB with FAT16. More advanced (or less
informed?) people are already using the last trap from Microsoft crying that
this OS is not able to show HD video on their advanced monitors and doubled
video cards total over $2000, etc., etc. Not for me, I read about the system
before I step on the racks. It would be sad for the person who spent over 25
years with computers as a professional to be trapped by MS again and again

Just D.

William Mitchell

Colin_D <nospam@127.0.0.1> writes:

> Ron, read my post immediately before yours.
>
> Formatting in camera does NOT erase or delete the images; it only
> rewrites the FAT table. The images remain. Computer formatting, as
> you say, is somewhat unreliable, but if one does a standard FAT16 or
> FAT32 full format it should be ok.

Did you read any of the posts other than yours?

Nobody gives a %%%% whether it removes the data from the card.
Nobody here is working for the CIA. Nobody here has been taking
pictures of themselves in bed with their wife's sister. They just
want to be able to take more pictures.

--
Bill Mitchell
Dept of Mathematics, The University of Florida

Phil Wheeler

William Mitchell wrote:
> Colin_D <nospam@127.0.0.1> writes:
>
>> Ron, read my post immediately before yours.
>>
>> Formatting in camera does NOT erase or delete the images; it only
>> rewrites the FAT table. The images remain. Computer formatting, as
>> you say, is somewhat unreliable, but if one does a standard FAT16 or
>> FAT32 full format it should be ok.

>Nobody here has been taking
> pictures of themselves in bed with their wife's sister.

Well--Are you certain about that? <grin>

Phil

Phil Wheeler

Colin_D wrote:
> Ron Hunter wrote:
>> Kiran wrote:
>>> I wish to delete the pictures on my digital camera's SD card, which is
>>> almost full. Is it best to do it withe camera controls or computer
>>> controls? Thank you.

>> If you wish to delete all the pictures, I suggest you make use of the
>> camera's 'format' feature. This does the job quickly, and cleanly.
>> Doing the deletion on a computer seems to give some users of some
>> cameras a bad time. I often delete from the computer, with no
>> problems on my Kodak cameras. Formatting on the computer is more
>> likely to cause problems than just deleting files.

> Ron, read my post immediately before yours.
>
> Formatting in camera does NOT erase or delete the images; it only
> rewrites the FAT table.

For most of us, it matters not. If you're a spy, well . . .

BTW .. what's your name again??

Phil

Jon

John McWilliams <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's interesting to me, and possibly others, that the thread
> goes on and on about things the OP didn't ask about. Not that that's
> terribly unusual, but it struck me.

Terribly _normal_, in my experience!
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal: