Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Deleting pictures on an SD card

Deleting pictures on an SD card

Jon

Ed Ruf <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:24:31 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Which brings me to my second point. You'd think that a full format
> >would delete the images, but at least on my three Nikon cameras, it does
> >not - image recovery software easily gets the pictures back.

> No you would not think that.

Just to be very clear: This is equally true on a normal hard drive
unless you do a low level format or you zero and/or overwrite all the
data (preferably multiple times if you really, REALLY want to be sure.)
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:

Dave Cohen

Ed Ruf <Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 23:24:31 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Which brings me to my second point. You'd think that a full format
>> would delete the images, but at least on my three Nikon cameras, it does
>> not - image recovery software easily gets the pictures back.

> No you would not think that. All this high level formatting does here
> is overwrite the FAT. It does nothing to the data on the card itself.
> There are utilities to destroy/overwrite the data. My Lexar CF card
> came loaded with their ImageRescue software. Here is the help file
> info on the Format function:
>
> Format Card will delete all files found on the CompactFlash card,
> however, these files may be able to be restored using the Image
> Recovery feature. Additionally, the CompactFlash card will be
> formatted back to the original factory settings. This will make a
> corrupted card useable again in your digital device or computer.
> This is how high level formatting works on your hard and floppy drives
> as well.
>
> They also provide a secure erase function.
> -
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

It's best to full format a floppy (if you still use them). They aren't
the most reliable of media.
Dave Cohen

Just D

It's much easier to use some special tool rewriting the location occupied by
these files with some random data. Even ancient Norton Tools were able to do
that. Or you or anybody of your friend programmer can write this tool in
coupe minutes using any computer language The algorithm is pretty
simple - delete all original files, create one or many files depending on
the maximum file size available for this file system, fill this file or
files with some random info, finally delete this temporary file. Even if
this file is restored it's worthless.

Just D.

"Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:1hta2nt.3extp11xujc9zN%(E-Mail Removed). invalid...
> Just to be very clear: This is equally true on a normal hard drive
> unless you do a low level format or you zero and/or overwrite all the
> data (preferably multiple times if you really, REALLY want to be sure.)

ray

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:53:27 +0000, Kiran wrote:

> I wish to delete the pictures on my digital camera's SD card, which is
> almost full. Is it best to do it withe camera controls or computer
> controls? Thank you.

Your chances of success are maximized by doing a 'format' in the camera.

John McWilliams

> Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) ha scritto:
>
>> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 09:53:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital Kiran
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I wish to delete the pictures on my digital camera's SD card, which is
>>> almost full. Is it best to do it withe camera controls or computer
>>> controls? Thank you.

>> Just reformat the card in the camera.

> I sink is better with the computer.

You think wrong. There are only pitfalls in doing it via computers.

Reformatting is quicker than deleting, and keeps things simple.

--
John McWilliams

John McWilliams

Just D wrote:
> It's much easier to use some special tool rewriting the location occupied by
> these files with some random data. Even ancient Norton Tools were able to do
> that. Or you or anybody of your friend programmer can write this tool in
> coupe minutes using any computer language The algorithm is pretty
> simple - delete all original files, create one or many files depending on
> the maximum file size available for this file system, fill this file or
> files with some random info, finally delete this temporary file. Even if
> this file is restored it's worthless.

Interesting to note the OP said nothing about secure deletion.

And please put your reply at the bottom, quoting judiciously.

--
john mcwilliams

Jon

Just D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Jon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
> > Just to be very clear: This is equally true on a normal hard drive
> > unless you do a low level format or you zero and/or overwrite all the
> > data (preferably multiple times if you really, REALLY want to be sure.)

> It's much easier to use some special tool rewriting the location occupied by
> these files with some random data. Even ancient Norton Tools were able to do
> that. Or you or anybody of your friend programmer can write this tool in
> coupe minutes using any computer language The algorithm is pretty
> simple - delete all original files, create one or many files depending on
> the maximum file size available for this file system, fill this file or
> files with some random info, finally delete this temporary file. Even if
> this file is restored it's worthless.
>
> Just D.

True, but my point remains the same: You need to overwrite the data in
order to truly delete them.
--

Dave Cohen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It's best to full format a floppy (if you still use them). They aren't
> the most reliable of media.

In fact, I think floppy formatting on a Mac at least was always a fulll
format.
--
/Jon
For contact info, run the following in Terminal:
Mail: echo 36199371860304980107073482417748002696458P|dc
Skype: echo 139576319600233690471689738P|dc

Just D

> Interesting to note the OP said nothing about secure deletion.

Well, not me started this sub-thread first For a complete deletion of my
cards I'd use a format in my camera, it's tested and works great. It takes
~1 sec or even less for a complete format of 8 GB SDHC card. But actually
when I copy the data from the card to my computer I actually MOVE files to
delete them from the card, that's easier, don't need to sync next time or
guess what's already done.

For a real secure reformatting it would take hours with this relatively card
if I need to do that according to the standard which assumes a several times
rewriting over and over some randomly generated data. There are some apps
doing that. But in most cases it's worthless since the card has just a
personal set of images (music files) and the card will be used by the same
photographer (user) again and again.

Also it should be noticed that some SDHC 4 GB cards are probably still
having FAT16 which is supported by the older devices even if they can't work
with real SDHC formatted with FAT32. Reformatting will create a new FAT32
structure especially if it's done with the computer (where it's optional and
can be selected by the user, at list it works with al other media types) and
the owner will simply lose his card for these older devices if he can't
reformat it back with FAT16. I saw several complaints on the Internet when
the user lost their cards after reformatting. That's why I asked here before
if anybody has any trouble formatting SDHC cards, particularly 4 and 8 GB
SDHC with D80.

Just D.

Just D

"Jon"
> True, but my point remains the same: You need to overwrite the data in
> order to truly delete them.

Well, good scissors will solve this issue in less than a second I'm not
talking about usability of this solution, but I saw shredders on the
internet able to destroy the floppies, CD/DVD disks, even hard drives...)

But I'm sure we're so far from the original question of deletion of the
images. There are at least half-a-dozen of different methods and I'm sure we
shouldn't lose our time enumerating all of them, that's naive to do that.

Just D.