Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Can I fix this screwup (high ISO on sunny day)?

Can I fix this screwup (high ISO on sunny day)?

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):
> In article <090220070904253471%(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Lucke
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jmc
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take pictures
>>> of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at night; I
>>> couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
>>>
>>> I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
>>> pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
>>> ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
>>> right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
>>> ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
>>>
>>> What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
>>>
>>> jmc

>> Nothing is perfect - with noise filters you trade reduction of noise
>> for some loss of sharpness and detail, by the very nature of how it
>> works, unless you are _very_ good at masking prior to noise reduction.
>> I've always found Noise Ninja to be better than anything else I've
>> tried, but YMMV.

> Oooops, my brain fart - I _meant_ to say Noiseware Professional, not
> Noise Ninja... I had just read someone else's response at the time that
> mentioned NN, and wasn't paying attention to what I typed.
>
> Here's a before and after of the exact thing you are talking about...
>
> Before (2.5mb):
> <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_before.jpg>
>
> After (1.4mb):
> <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_after.jpg>

Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's hope.

jmc

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:46:46 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
>load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the lake.

Was this shot as jpg or raw? If raw it's best you start out from that.

>Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
>results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
>there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
>unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
>there's any hope.

Given the wide range of detail and color in major sections of this
composition you are going to need to attack this image selectively if you
want to do it properly, which at least for NI which I use requires the use
of the plugin. Never going to be comparable to an iso100 shot though.

--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

jmc

Suddenly, without warning, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) exclaimed
(10-Feb-07 9:09 PM):
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:46:46 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
>> load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the lake.

> Was this shot as jpg or raw? If raw it's best you start out from that.
>
>> Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
>> results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
>> there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
>> unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
>> there's any hope.

> Given the wide range of detail and color in major sections of this
> composition you are going to need to attack this image selectively if you
> want to do it properly, which at least for NI which I use requires the use
> of the plugin. Never going to be comparable to an iso100 shot though.

It was shot as jpg. Wanted to use RAW but didn't have a big enough CF
card... I took 1220 pictures in 12 days

Ah, well. I got plenty of nice photos of other locations, but I was
really hoping for something from this walk. Dove Lake and Cradle
Mountain are so *easy* to get good pictures at, especially on such a
nice day. Unless some idiot doesn't check their camera's setting before
clicking away

jmc

Rudy Benner

"jmc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Suddenly, without warning, Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!) exclaimed
> (10-Feb-07 9:09 PM):
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 20:46:46 +0930, in rec.photo.digital jmc
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
>>> load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the
>>> lake.

>> Was this shot as jpg or raw? If raw it's best you start out from that.
>>
>>> Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
>>> results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
>>> there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
>>> unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
>>> there's any hope.

>> Given the wide range of detail and color in major sections of this
>> composition you are going to need to attack this image selectively if you
>> want to do it properly, which at least for NI which I use requires the
>> use
>> of the plugin. Never going to be comparable to an iso100 shot though.
>>

> It was shot as jpg. Wanted to use RAW but didn't have a big enough CF
> card... I took 1220 pictures in 12 days
>
> Ah, well. I got plenty of nice photos of other locations, but I was
> really hoping for something from this walk. Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain
> are so *easy* to get good pictures at, especially on such a nice day.
> Unless some idiot doesn't check their camera's setting before clicking
> away
>
> jmc

Something like this (PHR-250 OTG) might have helped. Mine has a 60 gig drive
installed, I could get perhaps 10,000 raw files on it. Built in battery.
Just remember to bring a USB cable. The HDD costs more than the enclosure
unless you happen to have one lying around. No reason to NOT shoot raw if
you have lots of storage.

I used Neatimage on it and nothing outstanding came as a result of the
effort.

Sigh, **** happens.

Ken Lucke

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):
> > In article <090220070904253471%(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Lucke
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> Nothing is perfect - with noise filters you trade reduction of noise
> >> for some loss of sharpness and detail, by the very nature of how it
> >> works, unless you are _very_ good at masking prior to noise reduction.
> >> I've always found Noise Ninja to be better than anything else I've
> >> tried, but YMMV.

> > Oooops, my brain fart - I _meant_ to say Noiseware Professional, not
> > Noise Ninja... I had just read someone else's response at the time that
> > mentioned NN, and wasn't paying attention to what I typed.
> >
> > Here's a before and after of the exact thing you are talking about...
> >
> > Before (2.5mb):
> > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_before.jpg>
> >
> > After (1.4mb):
> > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_after.jpg>
> >

> Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's hope.

Forgot to say, that was with the simple "default" setting in Noiseware
Pro, so there's lots of play room for tweaking.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Ken Lucke

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Suddenly, without warning, Marvin exclaimed (10-Feb-07 2:37 AM):
> > jmc wrote:
> >> Was in Tasmania on vacation; during one evening I tried to take
> >> pictures of shearwaters (an ocean bird) coming in to their burrows at
> >> night; I couldn't get good pics even at ISO 1600.
> >>
> >> I then forgot to change the ISO the next day, and all my "wonderful"
> >> pictures of Dove Lake and Cradle Mountain on a sunny, warm day are at
> >> ISO 1600. They're not totally ruined, but to me just aren't quite
> >> right, especially compared to other pics I took. I've tried using
> >> ThumbsPlus' noise filters, but they aren't working for this.
> >>
> >> What technique or app can I use to try to correct this blunder?
> >>
> >> jmc

> > Perhaps you can post one somewhere, and I'll see what I can do with
> > Paint Shop Pro. If you can't post it, send me one as an e-mail attachment.

> Full-sized image at http://jodi.ws/cradlemtn.htm. It'll take a bit to
> load, it's from a 10MP camera. You can really see the noise in the lake.
>
> Tried Noise Ninja, but I've not played with it before, and all the
> results I got were unacceptable. This may be a lost cause, since
> there's lots of detail in the mountain's rocks that might just be
> unrecoverable due to the noise. Have at it though, I'd like to see if
> there's any hope.

Here's a quick & dirty fix with Noiseware Pro - not that I didn't spend
more than 3 minutes at this, so no fancy masks or anything other than
just selecting the water and the sky, feathering out the selection, and
applying the default NP filter to those areas. I wouldn't try the
trees/mountains without a whole lot of effert, as there's lots of
detail in them that could be lost - it might be better leaving those
areas as-is.

Anyway, this is just to give you an idea of what you might be able to
achieve.

<http://www.nwconcessions.com/fixed/cradlemtn_after.jpg>

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Steve Cutchen

In article <100220070823360874%(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Lucke
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jmc
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):

> > > Oooops, my brain fart - I _meant_ to say Noiseware Professional, not
> > > Noise Ninja... I had just read someone else's response at the time that
> > > mentioned NN, and wasn't paying attention to what I typed.
> > >
> > > Here's a before and after of the exact thing you are talking about...
> > >
> > > Before (2.5mb):
> > > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_before.jpg>
> > >
> > > After (1.4mb):
> > > <http://www.nwconcessions.com/heceta/DPP_0223_after.jpg>
> > >

> > Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's hope.
> >

> Forgot to say, that was with the simple "default" setting in Noiseware
> Pro, so there's lots of play room for tweaking.

One nice thing about Noise Ninja is that you can calibrate it to YOUR
camera's specific ISO noise at 1600. Not sure if the NWP offers that.

Ken Lucke

In article <100220071146126260%(E-Mail Removed)>, Steve Cutchen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <100220070823360874%(E-Mail Removed)>, Ken Lucke
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, jmc
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Suddenly, without warning, Ken Lucke exclaimed (10-Feb-07 3:09 AM):

> > > Thanks for that. Your 'after' is certainly useable, so maybe there's
> > > hope.
> > >

> > Forgot to say, that was with the simple "default" setting in Noiseware
> > Pro, so there's lots of play room for tweaking.

> One nice thing about Noise Ninja is that you can calibrate it to YOUR
> camera's specific ISO noise at 1600. Not sure if the NWP offers that.

Oh, yes, as well as genertaing standard profiles, etc.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard