Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > canon s3 is vs panasonic fz-50

canon s3 is vs panasonic fz-50

gA

These 2 seem my only choices if I want
- swivel LCD
- movies

However, I am concerned about low-light picture quality and
overexposed flash photography. Any recommendations, comments?
Thank you in advance.
- gA

sally

gA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MOMyh.917244$R63.724425@pd7urf1no:
> However, I am concerned about low-light picture quality and
> overexposed flash photography. Any recommendations, comments?

Due to the small image sensors, none of the 12X zoom cameras do really well
in low-light situations. Do you really need 12X? If not, there are many
better cameras for low-light.

gA

Thanks, Sally. I don't need 12x zoom but I WILL NOT give up my 2
requiremnts of swivel LCD and movies. By the way, I just went to
the camera shop and looked at both cameras: I don't like the
'feel' and the bulky size of the FZ-50.

I was told by the salesman that (rumors only!) Canon is coming out
with a new model, perhaps an S4, featuring a wider angle and
bigger processor. That would surely do it for me!

Are there any web sites where I could get the scoops on newer
model coming out?
- gA

sally wrote:
> gA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MOMyh.917244$R63.724425@pd7urf1no:
>> However, I am concerned about low-light picture quality and
>> overexposed flash photography. Any recommendations, comments?

> Due to the small image sensors, none of the 12X zoom cameras do really well
> in low-light situations. Do you really need 12X? If not, there are many
> better cameras for low-light.

ASAAR

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 02:01:06 GMT, gA wrote:

> Thanks, Sally. I don't need 12x zoom but I WILL NOT give up my 2
> requiremnts of swivel LCD and movies. By the way, I just went to
> the camera shop and looked at both cameras: I don't like the
> 'feel' and the bulky size of the FZ-50.

Canon's A630/A640 have swiveling, rotating LCDs and movies. They
won't fit in a shirt pocket but are a good deal more compact than
the S3. Anything else common to the S3 and FZ-50 that you won't
give up but haven't yet mentioned?

> I was told by the salesman that (rumors only!) Canon is coming out
> with a new model, perhaps an S4, featuring a wider angle and
> bigger processor. That would surely do it for me!

That's probably more guesstimate than rumor. Canon periodically
upgrades their cameras, but occasionally there's a loooong gap, such
as the one between the G6 and G7. If the S4 is similarly delayed,
you'll be waiting quite a while for it.

> Are there any web sites where I could get the scoops on newer
> model coming out?

Dpreview.com and probably most other decent camera review
websites. They don't usually have full reviews until the cameras
have been selling for a while, but they will have something on new
models before they're available, sometimes many months before
release. Check their News and the News archive. If you compare the
date of product announcements with the comments in reviews of older
Canon models (such as the S2 and S1, not just the S3) you may see a
pattern of how much advance notice you'll get, and might assume that
it will be the same for the S4 IS.

gA

Thanks for the good information, ASAAR, the site you mentioned
seems very good. I checked the A640 and I was surprised to see how
well the features compare to the S3's. Although I don't need 12x
zoom, I would like to have more than 4x offered by the A640. My S1
spoiled me with 10x, but 8-10 would be nice. Other features
lacking for me in the A640 are the EVF, IS, photo-stitching, and
a faster shutter.

I hope to find what I need before August, and I will be on the
lookout for anything new and educative information I can find.
Cheers, - gA

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 04:00:06 GMT, gA wrote:

> Thanks for the good information, ASAAR, the site you mentioned
> seems very good. I checked the A640 and I was surprised to see how
> well the features compare to the S3's. Although I don't need 12x
> zoom, I would like to have more than 4x offered by the A640. My S1
> spoiled me with 10x, but 8-10 would be nice. Other features
> lacking for me in the A640 are the EVF, IS, photo-stitching, and
> a faster shutter.

You're welcome. I agree about the lack of an EVF as I've gotten
used to and like the one in my Fuji, but the optical VF has some
advantages. It won't be bothered by bright sun, and it can help
extend battery life. With high capacity NiMH batteries, you could
probably take about 1,600 shots per charge, unless you use the LCD a
lot or start using the flash.

The A640, like all of Canon's Powershots that I'm aware of, has
built-in support for panoramics in the camera (Stitch Assist). Is
your reference to "photo-stitching" about something else? I'm also
not sure what you mean by a faster shutter than the A640 has. The
shutter speed can go to 1/2,500th sec. Did you mean the burst rate
for multiple shots isn't fast enough, or the shutter's lag time is
too long? For a full shutter press, it's 0.6 sec, and after
prefocusing, the remaining lag time is either 0.08 sec. (when using
the LCD) or 0.05 sec. (when you use the optical viewfinder). Both
of those lag times are pretty quick.

Andrew MacPherson

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (gA) wrote:

> - swivel LCD
> - movies

The FZ-50's movie mode is poor compared to even the older FZ-30, let
alone the S3. If movie mode is important to you I wouldn't touch the
FZ-50 (or any other of the recent Venus III/high megapixel range) with a
bargepole.

If in doubt, spend some time downloading the examples from reviews at
dpreview. You'll soon see the differences.

I also think the Canon swivel LCD is the best you can get. However the
S3 EVF is lousy (115k vs 230k on the 50... that's very important IMO).

Andrew McP

Andrew MacPherson

(E-Mail Removed) (gA) wrote:

> I was told by the salesman that (rumors only!) Canon is coming out
> with a new model, perhaps an S4

Very likely, and announced fairly soon judging by previous years.

It'll be an interesting year, especially with the Olympus SP-550 shaking
things up a little. It has no swivel LCD though, so it won't be on your
shortlist.

Andrew McP

Paul Allen

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 21:42:04 GMT
gA <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> These 2 seem my only choices if I want
> - swivel LCD
> - movies
>
> However, I am concerned about low-light picture quality and
> overexposed flash photography. Any recommendations, comments?

I have the older FZ30 and like it a lot. It weighs about what
my old OM2n did with its 50mm 1/1.8 lens, and is only slightly
longer. I have handled the older Canon S2, and prefer the feel
of the FZ30. The guy whose S2 I handled loved it.

There are very few point and shoots with decent low-light
performance because the sensors are so small. Both of the
cameras you mention will suffer in low light. Fuji has models
with somewhat better than average noise characteristics, but
they may not match your two key criteria.

I don't use the built-in flash if I can help it. Unless a camera
can cut off the shutter when it sees enough light coming back
from the subject, you'll always have exposure challenges with
the flash. You can get around the inverse-square law with exposure
compensation, but you still have flat images with no shadows.
Boring.

I don't buy still cameras to take movies with, although I will
occasionally shoot a movie clip. The FZ30 does fine for what
I need, and the FZ50 appears to simply add a 16:9 movie format.
The S3 is said to have a good movie mode.

The S3 has the same size LCD as the FZ50, but with lower resolution.
It swivels to the side so it's less likely to conflict with a tripod.

When I was comparing the S3 with the FZ30, the deciding factors
were the FZ30's slightly better optics and the manual zoom and
focus rings on the lens. The S3's smaller size and price were
attractive but not decisive. The S3 uses regular AA batteries,
while the FZ50 uses a Li-ion battery with a fiddly little proprietary
charger. I've gotten used to dealing with the funny battery on my
FZ30, but I still worry about misplacing the charger on trips.

Good luck!

Paul Allen

gA

Thanks for taking the time to write those helpful comments, Paul.
I hope that that salesman was right with the rumors...
Cheers, - gA