Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Snapfish hit me with a $15 handling fee :\

Snapfish hit me with a $15 handling fee :\

samduhman

I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
$20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

Eric Babula

"samduhman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com:

> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

I think I won't be ordering anything from Snapfish, that's what I think.

Ripoff!

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Paul D. Sullivan

I agree - it is a horrible development that they would take
advantage of a customer in that way, especially after you were
willing to invest in their future with a large deal such as that.
I wonder if there is any way that you could end the committment,
or if not, perhaps find a way to do a large order to help
minimize the shipping and handling and fulfill the obligation in
perhaps one or two orders.

Best of luck.

>> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It
>> was .10 cents a print which was a good deal at the time.
>> After receiving an order yesterday I've become a little angry
>> with Snapfish. Maybe Im looking at it wrong. You tell me.
>> We received a box that weighted 3 pounds. According to USPS
>> website the cost to ship such an item is less than $5 parcel
>> which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned Snapfishes
>> customer service on the shipping and handling charge of $20.
>> They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I
>> can't help but feel ripped off. What do you think?
>>

> I think I won't be ordering anything from Snapfish, that's
> what I think.
>
> Ripoff!

Neil Ellwood

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:

> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

--
Neil
Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

TSKO

"Neil Ellwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
>
>> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
>> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
>> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
>> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
>> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
>> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
>> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
>> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
>> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

> Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?
>
> --
> Neil
> Reverse 'r' and 'a', delete 'l' for email.

Did you not know how much you were paying when you placed the order? As far
when you did the checkout process?

(PeteCresswell)

Per samduhman:
> They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
>help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

It reaffirms my notion that, to compare prices, one must always figure in the
merchant's shipping/handling charges.

Seems like it makes it a lot harder to compare bc I'd imagine some merchants try
to lower their prices artificially to get a good rating on the various price
comparison utilities - and the recoup it by reaming the customer on
shipping/handling.

"SnapFish"... easy name to remember...not to patronize.

Thanks for sharing/warning.
--
PeteCresswell

Peter A. Stavrakoglou

"Neil Ellwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
>
>> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
>> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
>> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
>> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
>> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
>> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
>> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
>> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
>> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

> Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

Are you speaking of the labor to pack the item or the labor to produce the
item? IMO, the labor cost is already included in the item's selling price.
Perhaps a case can be made for adding charges for packaging but in this case
it appears that Snapfish is making a profit on the handling costs.

Prometheus

In article <OXsyh.112$(E-Mail Removed)>, Peter A. Stavrakoglou
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>"Neil Ellwood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
>>
>>> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
>>> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
>>> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
>>> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
>>> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
>>> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
>>> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
>>> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
>>> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

>> Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

>Are you speaking of the labor to pack the item or the labor to produce the
>item? IMO, the labor cost is already included in the item's selling price.
>Perhaps a case can be made for adding charges for packaging but in this case
>it appears that Snapfish is making a profit on the handling costs.

The employee who picks from the shelf, packs it, and puts on the out
shelf to be loaded on the couriers lorry has to be paid; it is the
nature of business to make money from all of its employees. I recently
purchased a lens on which I was charged 6.95 GBP (about 14 USD) to
deliver it to me, this is less than the 7.70 GBP the courier charges (I
suspect regular users can negotiate a lower price, since the supplier
does not pass on the extra charge for larger or multiple consignments I
must conclude that they cover this from their deferential).

--
Ian G8ILZ
There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer.

J. Clarke

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 13:33:08 -0600, Neil Ellwood
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 09:50:52 -0800, samduhman wrote:
>
>> I bought my wife the 1000 photo deal quite a while back. It was .10
>> cents a print which was a good deal at the time. After receiving an
>> order yesterday I've become a little angry with Snapfish. Maybe Im
>> looking at it wrong. You tell me. We received a box that weighted 3
>> pounds. According to USPS website the cost to ship such an item is
>> less than $5 parcel which is how Snapfish shipped it. I questioned
>> Snapfishes customer service on the shipping and handling charge of
>> $20. They confirmed that the handing was approximately $15! I can't
>> help but feel ripped off. What do you think?

>Cost of packaging and labour, you don't expect that to be free?

In a mail order photo printing service one would expect those to be
included in the per-print cost.

Jimmy

> The employee who picks from the shelf, packs it, and puts on the out shelf
> to be loaded on the couriers lorry has to be paid; it is the nature of
> business to make money from all of its employees.

Labor, materials, etc are all part of Cost of Goods sold. In pricing their
product packages Snapfish should have these costs plus their profit
included. I notice they do charge additional fees for prints & enlargements
shipping and handling. The fee for a USPS delivery is $1.97 for 16-25
prints and for every additional 10 prints $0.49. Other delivery methods are
available at a higher cost. Someone missed the pricing information clearly
buried on pg 112, sub-paragraph b.