Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Voice memo in SLR:s

Voice memo in SLR:s

Lars Forslin

I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
in the electronic age.

--
Lars Forslin

"Doing time on earth"

**************************

ink

"Lars Forslin" <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.s e> wrote in
message news:eqc3be$7ce$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
>seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
>come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
>using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
>feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
>in the electronic age.

No need to carry a notebook. I use one of these with good results:

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/2581_WS-320M.htm

Of course, it's an additional device, but I just hang it around my neck and
start talking when I need to.

No affiliation with Olympus, other companies make them just as good.

Cheers,
ink

Randall Ainsworth

In article <eqc3be$7ce$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lars Forslin
<lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.s e> wrote:

> I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
> seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
> come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
> using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
> feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
> in the electronic age.

What, exactly, do you want to say to your camera?

Randy Berbaum

Lars Forslin <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.s e> wrote:
: I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However
: it seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo
: function. How come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us
: into a habit of using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they
: remove that nice feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook
: around? Come on, we live in the electronic age.

I guess I never did find a need to record what I said to my camera (and
some of what I say shouldn't be recorded). If I need to note something
about my photo that isn't automatically recorded in EXIF or obvious from
the content, I do carry a tiny notebook for jotted notes.

But if you just Have to talk while taking a photo, check at your local
office supply or electronics store. There are many brands of tiny little
"dictation" recorders that are about the size of a disposable lighter that
hang from a lanyard around yourt neck, that will record your musings.
Some can be set to voice activated so you wouldn't have to turn them on
(but will be triggered by every utterance by you or anyone around you).
Also they will record much more than the short "notes" feature of some
cameras. Some may even accept a memory card (possibly the same kind of
card you use in your camera) so you could use the same equipment to store
(archive) your photos to store the audio notes in the same directory. And
if you rename the audio files with the same name as the appropriate
image, you can keep everything straight for years to come. All you have
to remember is to say the number of the image when you check the image on
the display while recording your deathless prose.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

David J Taylor

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
> In article <eqc3be$7ce$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lars Forslin
> <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.s e> wrote:
>
>> I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable.
>> However it seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a
>> voice-memo function. How come? It's not fair that the manufacturers
>> first lures us into a habit of using voice-memo, then when we want
>> to upgrade, they remove that nice feature. Do they think we want to
>> carry a notebook around? Come on, we live in the electronic age.

> What, exactly, do you want to say to your camera?

Maybe you want to photograph a church tower and record the bell chimes you
were hearing at the time - it can add a lot to experience you are
recording.

The OP will need to upgrade from his DSLR to a camera capable of capturing
more than just still images. DSLRs don't do movies either. Yet.

David

Lars Forslin wrote:
> I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
> seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
> come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
> using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
> feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
> in the electronic age.

I do like the microphone in the 1D mark II. I use to carry a notepad
to jot notes. But writing notes on a pad takes more time than a quick audio
recording. Then I switched to a hand held microphone. But tagging
the recording to the photo was a pain, and sometimes in the heat of field
action got totally confusing. The 1D Mark II records a wav file with
the same name (+.wav) as the image you have displayed when you record, so the
sound clip is effectively attached to your image.

I use the audio to describe things in the scene,
identification of animals, and to record animal sounds to go with
the picture. Here is a test page with a 30 second
clip recorded by the 1D Mark II:
http://www.clarkvision.com/features/bosque+sound
A 30 second sound clip takes 275 KBytes on the CF card, so pretty
negligible compared to the image. I wish the 30D had a microphone.
The Canon 1D series are the only DSLRs that record sound that
I am aware of. I need such a camera at work, and I have looked
for lower cost alternatives but found none. Let's hope at PMA
in early march, new DSLRs with sound will be introduced.

Roger

Michael Meissner

Randall Ainsworth <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> In article <eqc3be$7ce$(E-Mail Removed)>, Lars Forslin
> <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.s e> wrote:
>
> > I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
> > seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
> > come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
> > using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
> > feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
> > in the electronic age.

> What, exactly, do you want to say to your camera?

I can imagine people wanting to record extra equipment used, or if you are
photographing people, the subject's name. In the days of film, many
photographers carried notebooks with them to write down the information. It
can be handy if you are trying various things, and want to know what worked
best afterwards. Unlike a separate voice recorder one advantage that the
cameras with a voice memo function have is the .WAV file has the same name as
the photo, so it is easy to associate which memo is with which photo.

--
Michael Meissner
http://www.the-meissners.org

Skip

"Lars Forslin" <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.s e> wrote in
message news:eqc3be$7ce$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable. However it
>seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a voice-memo function. How
>come? It's not fair that the manufacturers first lures us into a habit of
>using voice-memo, then when we want to upgrade, they remove that nice
>feature. Do they think we want to carry a notebook around? Come on, we live
>in the electronic age.

Well, if it's really important to you, the Canon 1 series has that option,
but it's gonna cost you...

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
> --
> Lars Forslin
>
> "Doing time on earth"
>
> **************************

Randall Ainsworth

In article <(E-Mail Removed)-meissners.org>, Michael
Meissner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I can imagine people wanting to record extra equipment used, or if you are
> photographing people, the subject's name. In the days of film, many
> photographers carried notebooks with them to write down the information. It
> can be handy if you are trying various things, and want to know what worked
> best afterwards. Unlike a separate voice recorder one advantage that the
> cameras with a voice memo function have is the .WAV file has the same name as
> the photo, so it is easy to associate which memo is with which photo.

In film days, I never wrote down camera settings. What useful purpose
does it serve? Unless you were standing right next to me when I created
the image, the information would have no value (and even then, it would
be questionable). I don't even look at EXIF info...I don't care what
shutter speed I used. It's useless information.

David J Taylor

Skip wrote:
> "Lars Forslin" <lars.privat_nospamdevice@monarda_nospamdevice.s e>
> wrote in message news:eqc3be$7ce$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am looking into the DSLR market to find something suitable.
>> However it seems like almost none of the newer SLR:s have a
>> voice-memo function. How come? It's not fair that the manufacturers
>> first lures us into a habit of using voice-memo, then when we want
>> to upgrade, they remove that nice feature. Do they think we want to
>> carry a notebook around? Come on, we live in the electronic age.
>>

> Well, if it's really important to you, the Canon 1 series has that
> option, but it's gonna cost you...

That's good to hear, Skip. I had not been aware of that when I sent my
first reply.

Cheers,
David