Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Older Nikon 70-210 D f4-5.6 vs Nikon 70-300 ED

Older Nikon 70-210 D f4-5.6 vs Nikon 70-300 ED

ASAAR

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:36:02 -0500, Ed Ruf <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to
E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote:

>> Do you know how that 75-300 non-D rates for image quality? Also,
>>do you know whether its AF performance in moderate brightness would
>>take a significant hit using a D50 or D80 vs. a D200?

> I can't speak directly to this, but can provide some info that might
> be helpful. I shoot using the combo of the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S
> VR Zoom-Nikkor with a 2x TC-20EII resulting in a max aperture of
> f/5.6. I have used this on a D70 and D200. This lens by itself is a
> fast stellar performer on either body. With the TC it get's quite
> sluggish in comparison. Maybe not quite so much on the D200, but not
> what you could call a marked improvement. It still is noticeably
> sluggish even in decent light.

Thanks. That keeps my decision simpler by not giving me a good
reason to reconsider the D200. I suppose there's a slim chance that
a super D300 might change things, but I'll probably have purchased a
DSLR body before a D300 is announced, let alone available in stores.

ASAAR

On 06 Feb 2007 11:41:52 -0800, Paul Rubin
<http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> Do you know how that 75-300 non-D rates for image quality? Also,
>> do you know whether its AF performance in moderate brightness would
>> take a significant hit using a D50 or D80 vs. a D200?

> I've heard differing things about it compared with other lenses. My
> impression is it's a bit better (but larger) than the 70-300's but not
> in the league of the 80-200/2.8's. Its AF is slow regardless.

That's a relief. I never really tested it when I used it and
didn't want to find out that it was considered to be one of Nikon's
dogs, optically. As it has been in storage for about a dozen years
and all I've used during that time are P&S digicams, at its sluggish
slowest I imagine that it'll be quicker and focus more accurately
than what I'm used to.

sgtdisturbed

Why is it that with every new thread comes someone who hasn't read the
main post? I am not asking about a 500 dollar lens, nor can I afford
one, that is why I asked about the 3 lenses that I have listed in the
first post. If your answer is going to be "those are all crap, buy
this one" and rattle off the name of some super-Pro 10,000 dollar
lens, then I ask you to not post here. I only asked about which of
those lenses, based on experience, would you recommend.

On Feb 6, 11:36 am, Ed Ruf <"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)"
<(E-Mail Removed)>> wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 13:12:50 -0500, in rec.photo.digital ASAAR
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >> To complicate things there's also an older 75-300 non-D which is a very
> >> sturdy lens with a tripod socket.

> > Do you know how that 75-300 non-D rates for image quality? Also,
> >do you know whether its AF performance in moderate brightness would
> >take a significant hit using a D50 or D80 vs. a D200?

> I can't speak directly to this, but can provide some info that might
> be helpful. I shoot using the combo of the 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S
> VR Zoom-Nikkor with a 2x TC-20EII resulting in a max aperture of
> f/5.6. I have used this on a D70 and D200. This lens by itself is a
> fast stellar performer on either body. With the TC it get's quite
> sluggish in comparison. Maybe not quite so much on the D200, but not
> what you could call a marked improvement. It still is noticeably
> sluggish even in decent light.
> -
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Paul Rubin

"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Why is it that with every new thread comes someone who hasn't read the
> main post? I am not asking about a 500 dollar lens, nor can I afford
> one, that is why I asked about the 3 lenses that I have listed in the
> first post. If your answer is going to be "those are all crap, buy
> this one" and rattle off the name of some super-Pro 10,000 dollar
> lens, then I ask you to not post here. I only asked about which of
> those lenses, based on experience, would you recommend.

You specifically asked about the 70-300/4-5.6's slow speed could get
the camera AF confused, and someone kindly answered based on an
70-200/2.8 with a 2x TC, which comes out to the same f/5.6. You're
whining that the 70-200/2.8+TC combo is much more expensive than the
70-300 but what's relevant is that it's the same f-stop and is
therefore responsive to your question. If you don't want answers,
don't ask questions.

Ed Ruf

On 8 Feb 2007 08:29:57 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "sgtdisturbed"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why is it that with every new thread comes someone who hasn't read the
>main post? I am not asking about a 500 dollar lens, nor can I afford
>one, that is why I asked about the 3 lenses that I have listed in the
>first post. If your answer is going to be "those are all crap, buy
>this one" and rattle off the name of some super-Pro 10,000 dollar
>lens, then I ask you to not post here. I only asked about which of
>those lenses, based on experience, would you recommend.

Why don't you learn how to use a real news reader that properly
displays threads and replies? If you did, you would see I replied to
ASAAR's question:
> > Also,
> >do you know whether its AF performance in moderate brightness would
> >take a significant hit using a D50 or D80 vs. a D200?

I have direct experience using a "somewhat challenged" lens/tc combo
on two bodies that appears to be the answer he was looking for. Sub
-threads can form within given threads. If you used a real newsreader
you would see and hopefully understand this. I have specifically not
replied to your OP after reading it, because I can't offer any
firsthand advice in regard to the lens you asked about.

So why not go get a copy of free agent and use RR's newsfeed instead
of complaining about a normal thread development?

-
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Joan

I've read through this post and your other replies in this thread and
I can't see any mention of what camera you have.

--
Joan

"sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
:I am looking at the older 70-210 f4-5.6 D version, which apparently
: has a pretty fast focus, has a push-pull zoom, and is supposed to
have
: crisp images across the focal/zoom range. I have heard that the
Nikon
: 70-300 ED, non VR "cheapy" version, is really soft at 300mm and that
: it's ED elements are like in the middle of the lens where they do
: little or no good there. I am also looking at a Sigma 70-300 DG APO
: Macro, the one with the red ring at the end of the barrel. I have
seen
: some decent photos taken with it, but I am really apprehensive about
: third-party lens companies. Apparently the zoom on the Sigma 70-300
: APO Macro is driven by a little rubber belt. That worries me. I Just
: don't know if I can trust Sigma lenses, especially after using their
: piece of sh*t 18-50mm & 55-200mm lens kit. Worst lenses I have ever
: seen/felt/used, so as you can imagine, I am a bit apprehensive about
: saving a few bucks just to get some piece of junk, but if the image
: quality makes up for it's poor build quality, I might go for it, but
: really need to know which of these 3 gives the best image quality:
the
: Sigma 70-300 APO Macro, Nikon 70-300 ED, or the older, sturdier
70-210
: D. Your input is appreciated.
:

sgtdisturbed

Exactly when the **** did I ask that question? Get your **** straight.
Don'[t correct posts if you are a retarded monkey.

On Feb 8, 8:50 am, Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Why is it that with every new thread comes someone who hasn't read the
> > main post? I am not asking about a 500 dollar lens, nor can I afford
> > one, that is why I asked about the 3 lenses that I have listed in the
> > first post. If your answer is going to be "those are all crap, buy
> > this one" and rattle off the name of some super-Pro 10,000 dollar
> > lens, then I ask you to not post here. I only asked about which of
> > those lenses, based on experience, would you recommend.

> You specifically asked about the 70-300/4-5.6's slow speed could get
> the camera AF confused, and someone kindly answered based on an
> 70-200/2.8 with a 2x TC, which comes out to the same f/5.6. You're
> whining that the 70-200/2.8+TC combo is much more expensive than the
> 70-300 but what's relevant is that it's the same f-stop and is
> therefore responsive to your question. If you don't want answers,
> don't ask questions.

acl

On Feb 11, 9:15 pm, "sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Exactly when the **** did I ask that question? Get your **** straight.
> Don'[t correct posts if you are a retarded monkey.

I bet you're one of those people who start fights because they don't
like someone's face either, eh? Let's see how many knowledgeable
people waste their time answering your questions in the future.

sgtdisturbed

On Feb 11, 11:59 am, "acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 9:15 pm, "sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Exactly when the **** did I ask that question? Get your **** straight.
> > Don'[t correct posts if you are a retarded monkey.

> I bet you're one of those people who start fights because they don't
> like someone's face either, eh? Let's see how many knowledgeable
> people waste their time answering your questions in the future.

I just so happen to be one of those kinds of people who happen to
remember if they asked a question or not. Read back a few posts and
add it up for yourself before you try and form an opinion.

Jyrki Valkama

sgtdisturbed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Feb 11, 11:59 am, "acl" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > On Feb 11, 9:15 pm, "sgtdisturbed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Exactly when the **** did I ask that question? Get your **** straight.
> > > Don'[t correct posts if you are a retarded monkey.

> > I bet you're one of those people who start fights because they don't
> > like someone's face either, eh? Let's see how many knowledgeable
> > people waste their time answering your questions in the future.

> I just so happen to be one of those kinds of people who happen to
> remember if they asked a question or not. Read back a few posts and
> add it up for yourself before you try and form an opinion.

After reading this thread I'll recommend you search the nikon 70-210,
and buy it, but only if it is cheap. That lens is definitely for you,
you will not be satisfied by anything else.

--

Jyrki Valkama