Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Older Nikon 75-300mm lens on a D50?

Older Nikon 75-300mm lens on a D50?

sgtdisturbed

Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
I need to be sure.

Dennis Pogson

sgtdisturbed wrote:
> Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
> focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
> I need to be sure.

Any Nikon AF lens will work on your D50, but not all of the functions will
work. If the lens has no ability to lock the aperture to the minimum you
will lose the AE facility and have to expose manually, although I have yet
to see a Nikon AF lens without this facility.

DP

Thomas T. Veldhouse

sgtdisturbed <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
> focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
> I need to be sure.

If it is a G, DX or D lens, you are likely OK.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
> > focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
> > I need to be sure.
> >

> If it is a G, DX or D lens, you are likely OK.

It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
automation that depends on the D data.

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > Would the older Nikon 75-300mm lens work on my Nikon D50? It's an auto
>> > focus lens, but it's a pretty old lens. I was told it should work, but
>> > I need to be sure.
>> >

>> If it is a G, DX or D lens, you are likely OK.

> It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
> it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
> automation that depends on the D data.

I suspect you will miss more than just flash exposure. Be prepared to do a
lot of work in manual (M).

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
> > it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
> > automation that depends on the D data.

> I suspect you will miss more than just flash exposure. Be prepared
> to do a lot of work in manual (M).

Why do you expect that?

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> > It's not any of the above, it's an older AF lens with no D. However
>> > it should work except it won't give the fanciest flash exposure
>> > automation that depends on the D data.

>> I suspect you will miss more than just flash exposure. Be prepared
>> to do a lot of work in manual (M).

> Why do you expect that?

D passes distance information for flash, that is clear. However, I was under
the impression that most new digital [lense] only cameras had a hard time
working in either apeture or shutter priorty modes [I don't recall the reason
why]. I could very well be incorrect on this, but I believe there were more
limitations than just the lack of distance information [and thus flash
control].

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Paul Rubin

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> D passes distance information for flash, that is clear. However, I
> was under the impression that most new digital [lense] only cameras
> had a hard time working in either apeture or shutter priorty modes
> [I don't recall the reason why]. I could very well be incorrect on
> this, but I believe there were more limitations than just the lack
> of distance information [and thus flash control].

I've never heard of any issue like that with AF lenses. Yes there's
an issue with MF lenses. And even the high end Nikon film SLR's don't
support shutter or program modes with pre-AIS MF lenses. But that has
nothing to do with the AF's.

I have the 75-300 in question and it works fine on my N8008 but I
don't have a D50 to test it on.

Neil Harrington

"Paul Rubin" <http://(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>> D passes distance information for flash, that is clear. However, I
>> was under the impression that most new digital [lense] only cameras
>> had a hard time working in either apeture or shutter priorty modes
>> [I don't recall the reason why]. I could very well be incorrect on
>> this, but I believe there were more limitations than just the lack
>> of distance information [and thus flash control].

> I've never heard of any issue like that with AF lenses. Yes there's
> an issue with MF lenses. And even the high end Nikon film SLR's don't
> support shutter or program modes with pre-AIS MF lenses. But that has
> nothing to do with the AF's.
>
> I have the 75-300 in question and it works fine on my N8008 but I
> don't have a D50 to test it on.

If you're the OP and you're considering buying a D50 to use with that lens,
you can download the D50 user manual in PDF format from the Nikon site and
that will tell you what Nikon lenses you can use with it, and with what if
any limitations.

Neil

Paul Rubin

"Neil Harrington" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> > I have the 75-300 in question and it works fine on my N8008 but I
> > don't have a D50 to test it on.

> If you're the OP and you're considering buying a D50 to use with that lens,
> you can download the D50 user manual in PDF format from the Nikon site and

I'm not the OP and I think the OP was asking about people's real
experiences, not what the manual might or might not say.