Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Graphics card and photoshop.

Graphics card and photoshop.

Rudy Benner

I am considering an upgrade to my graphics card. It would seem that by
current standards, its ancient.

Will a better graphics card result in better (faster) Photoshop cs2
performance?

I have 2 gig ram, a 40 gig scratch disk, P4 cpu.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 09:56:49 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Rudy Benner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am considering an upgrade to my graphics card. It would seem that by
>current standards, its ancient.
>
>Will a better graphics card result in better (faster) Photoshop cs2
>performance?

None, that you should see on a decent computer.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Ken Lucke

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rudy Benner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am considering an upgrade to my graphics card. It would seem that by
> current standards, its ancient.
>
> Will a better graphics card result in better (faster) Photoshop cs2
> performance?

Possibly, but the main area that high-end graphics cards are really
designed to be better at are speed - for the multitude of gaming
addicts. :^) Your gains may not be all that noticeable for static
applications - Photoshop's speed can probably be increased much more by
the addition of more main RAM.

independence.
-- Charles A. Beard

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios

? "Ken Lucke" <(E-Mail Removed)> ?????? ??? ??????
news:040220070933317284%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rudy Benner
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I am considering an upgrade to my graphics card. It would seem that by
> > current standards, its ancient.
> >
> > Will a better graphics card result in better (faster) Photoshop cs2
> > performance?

> Possibly, but the main area that high-end graphics cards are really
> designed to be better at are speed - for the multitude of gaming
> addicts. :^) Your gains may not be all that noticeable for static
> applications - Photoshop's speed can probably be increased much more by
> the addition of more main RAM.

Or by tweaking your windows.With a 2.4 Ghz celeron and 512 MB and geforce
4mx 440 64 MB I play doom 3 guake 4 WoW and HL-2 online and have dsl and do
video editing...

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering
> --
> You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
> reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
> the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
> independence.
> -- Charles A. Beard

Rudy Benner

"Ken Lucke" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:040220070933317284%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Rudy Benner
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am considering an upgrade to my graphics card. It would seem that by
>> current standards, its ancient.
>>
>> Will a better graphics card result in better (faster) Photoshop cs2
>> performance?

> Possibly, but the main area that high-end graphics cards are really
> designed to be better at are speed - for the multitude of gaming
> addicts. :^) Your gains may not be all that noticeable for static
> applications - Photoshop's speed can probably be increased much more by
> the addition of more main RAM.
>
> --
> You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a
> reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating
> the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for
> independence.
> -- Charles A. Beard

Yes, I am at the limit of ram for this motherboard/cpu combination.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:07:38 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Rudy Benner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes, I am at the limit of ram for this motherboard/cpu combination.

Ok. What about your virtual memory? How fast is you HD and where is the
swap files and the CS2 scratch disk. Better is these are on another
physical disk, separate from the disk the OS and app are on.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

Rudy Benner

"Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:07:38 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Rudy Benner"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Yes, I am at the limit of ram for this motherboard/cpu combination.

> Ok. What about your virtual memory? How fast is you HD and where is the
> swap files and the CS2 scratch disk. Better is these are on another
> physical disk, separate from the disk the OS and app are on.
> --
> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

Virtual ram is another 1.5 gig, located on another drive from the system
files, swap disk is on a 40 gig drive, used exclusively for photoshop swap
file and for a few other apps that need this, like PTGui.

All HDDs are 7200 rpm. (the swap drive is my old system drive, replaced by a
160 gig HDD). I also have a 120 gig drive for media files and the virtual
memory.

I am not a gamer, hate the humilation.

Rudy Benner

"Rudy Benner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Sun, 4 Feb 2007 15:07:38 -0500, in rec.photo.digital "Rudy Benner"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Yes, I am at the limit of ram for this motherboard/cpu combination.

>> Ok. What about your virtual memory? How fast is you HD and where is the
>> swap files and the CS2 scratch disk. Better is these are on another
>> physical disk, separate from the disk the OS and app are on.
>> --
>> Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))
>> http://edwardgruf.com/Digital_Photog...ral/index.html

> Virtual ram is another 1.5 gig, located on another drive from the system
> files, swap disk is on a 40 gig drive, used exclusively for photoshop swap
> file and for a few other apps that need this, like PTGui.
>
> All HDDs are 7200 rpm. (the swap drive is my old system drive, replaced by
> a 160 gig HDD). I also have a 120 gig drive for media files and the
> virtual memory.
>
> I am not a gamer, hate the humilation.

More info....

160 gig drive - two partitions, second partition is a ghost of system
partition.
120 gig drive - image files and virtual memory
40 gig drive - swap files for photoshop and ptgui etc.

2 optical drives - CD and DVD

You think its enough?

Oh yes, also a couple of USB drives, 40 gig and 60 gig.

MarkČ

Rudy Benner wrote:
> I am considering an upgrade to my graphics card. It would seem that by
> current standards, its ancient.
>
> Will a better graphics card result in better (faster) Photoshop cs2
> performance?

> I have 2 gig ram, a 40 gig scratch disk, P4 cpu.

Any decent video card will render the screen fairly quickly. The actual
screen-drawing needed for photoshop isn't that large a drain...so long as it
can easily handle the resolution your screen demands. That's not the
bottleneck for photoshop. More important would be to look for a video card
whose driver allows for careful adjustment of color, and that handles
monitor profiles well. Most of the souped up gaming cards work quite well,
because they've got memory and speed to spare, and often have sophisticated
color handling too.

To speed up photoshop, you want gobs of (RAM 2GB-4GB), a separate, internal,
physical drive to use as the scratch disk (virtual memory, specially used by
photoshop), and a fast processor. Having the scratch disk as a separate,
physical drive (as opposed to a partition on the same drive) can be
important for speed.

www.pbase.com/markuson

Rudy Benner

"MarkČ" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
news:Slsxh.10462$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rudy Benner wrote:
>> I am considering an upgrade to my graphics card. It would seem that by
>> current standards, its ancient.
>>
>> Will a better graphics card result in better (faster) Photoshop cs2
>> performance?

>> I have 2 gig ram, a 40 gig scratch disk, P4 cpu.

> Any decent video card will render the screen fairly quickly. The actual
> screen-drawing needed for photoshop isn't that large a drain...so long as
> it can easily handle the resolution your screen demands. That's not the
> bottleneck for photoshop. More important would be to look for a video
> card whose driver allows for careful adjustment of color, and that handles
> monitor profiles well. Most of the souped up gaming cards work quite
> well, because they've got memory and speed to spare, and often have
> sophisticated color handling too.
>
> To speed up photoshop, you want gobs of (RAM 2GB-4GB), a separate,
> internal, physical drive to use as the scratch disk (virtual memory,
> specially used by photoshop), and a fast processor. Having the scratch
> disk as a separate, physical drive (as opposed to a partition on the same
> drive) can be important for speed.
>

> --
> Images (Plus Snaps & Grabs) by MarkČ at:
> www.pbase.com/markuson

I will double the virtual ram to 4 gig.