Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Local info reqd. Huntsville, AL, US

Local info reqd. Huntsville, AL, US

RPC

Hi All,
I am right now in Huntsville, AL, US on a short visit. I have been
planning to buy some lenses and and a flash. Could someone here
recommend some good shops around the place. I am sure some of you
would recommend B&H or Adorama but so far I am finding it difficult to
use my credit cards here. I am able to withdraw money but many
merchants seem to be having some problem or the other with the cards.
Also, any information about local places to take pictures would be
welcome. I am a beginner and am more interested in pictures of nature,
animals etc.
Thanks in advance,
RPC

Frank Emens

On 3 Feb 2007 11:49:16 -0800, "RPC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
> I am right now in Huntsville, AL, US on a short visit. I have been
>planning to buy some lenses and and a flash. Could someone here
>recommend some good shops around the place. I am sure some of you
>would recommend B&H or Adorama but so far I am finding it difficult to
>use my credit cards here. I am able to withdraw money but many
>merchants seem to be having some problem or the other with the cards.
> Also, any information about local places to take pictures would be
>welcome. I am a beginner and am more interested in pictures of nature,
>animals etc.
>Thanks in advance,
>RPC

Not sure about the credit card situation, but you can't go wrong
checking the shop called Southerland's Photo at the corner of
Whitesburg and Bob Wallace Ave. It's a mom, pop & daughter store that
may not give you the best prices, but should will be unlikely to do
you wrong.

As for places to shoot, this is probably the worst time of year for
it, but the Huntsville Botanical Gardens whould give you a good source
of pix of plants, but probably not animals. I've seen some good shots
of water birds taken around the duck pond at UAH and around Big Spring
Park and Brahan Springs Park. I've not done it, and don't know just
where they are, but there are folks who have come up with some great
shots of a group of Bald Eagles that hang out somewhere around
Guntersville Dam some 20-25 miles to the East.